What's new

simple reloading

One of my friends has an 96/11 that the importer converted to 30-30. It is wonderfully accurate and an absolute blast to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

30-30?? I would think that rather difficult going to a rimmed cartridge. .308 would probably be a much easier conversion as the cartridges are very similar.

I don't know why they picked it, although it's pressure is well suited to the earlier action. It feeds fine. With cast bullets you have to work the bolt firmly, but that's it.

If you haven't already done this the single most valuable tool on your bench is a Lyman's Reloading Handbook. It will be your first manual but will certainly not be your last. Read everything up to the data section before you spend a dime on hardware, primers or powder. Dog ear, highlight, jot notes in the margins and generally know every bit of it before your buy your first tool. It can matter.

Pick up your hardware at garage sales or off craigs. Plan on weighing your charges to start out.

Grafs has your Jap brass in stock.

30-30?? I would think that rather difficult going to a rimmed cartridge. .308 would probably be a much easier conversion as the cartridges are very similar.
308 is too much pressure for the early action.

308 is too much pressure for the early action.

I will not argue that point as .308 is about 6000psi higher than Swis GP11 ammo which is fine in the 96/11. I did check some other fourms and found references to 96/11 rifles being converted to .308, so it has been done. I have no idea what long term reliability and safety would be. Conversion of the later K 31 was quite common. For my part I would rather stay with the 7.5 Swiss cartridge, as their military loading, is probably the best military, if not all, ammo out there.

I did purchase a quantity of boxer primed 7.5 Swiss brass a few years back, so I could reload if wanted to at some time, but will probably continue to use the GP 11 as long as it is available.

These were converted by the importer long ago. 30-30 brass practically grows on trees. As the owner is a retired tool and die maker I asked him about feasibility of converting one and was told NO. Lol
The ones in circulation were apparently pretty well done. If I find one I'm grabbing it. 30-30 is both fun to shoot and a deer killing machine when used within it's and the shooter's limits.

Thanks for all the opinions, I looked at the Lee kits and they are within my budget. I'll have to save up a bit.

Top Bottom