What's new

Simple question regarding corned beef

I am getting ready to cook a corned beef brisket. I thought it might be a good idea to cook it in the crock pot. I plan to add some cabbage to the mix. Anyone have any suggestions or warnings to doing it this way? I have never done a corned beef in the crock pot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Sounds pretty traditional. Cabbage does not take hours to cook. A quarter of a cabbage is done in boiling water in 15 mins. Smaller bits far less time.

Put the corned beef in the crock and cover with an inch of water. Put potatoes, and any other veggies except the cabbage on top of the brisket. Do not put the cabbage in. Cook on high 6-8 hours. Cook cabbage in boiling water til tender. Best way I know

Just cooked corned beef in crock pot last Saturday. Nothing could be easier- or tastier.
Beef in pot with carrots and onion, cook low 8 hrs. Then added 1/2 cabbage in two wedges and turned to high for a couple hours. Probably could have done on high for 4-6 hours. But do add cabbage later in the sequence.
Mike

Thanks everyone. The crock is going. It seems odd that my wife and I haven't tried using the crock pot after all these years. Should be a great dinner tonight.

It doesn't help you today, but maybe next time: I boil my corned beef the day before. Then let it cool and put the whole pot (including water) into the fridge over night. The next night, take the meat out of the water, cover it with a brown sugar glaze and bake to reheat. Yum!

There's some sort of process that happens when you cook meat and then cool it and reheat it -- I forget what it's called -- but enhances the texture and flavor. You see that same effect with leftover beef stew, meatloaf, etc. The whole "It's better the second day" effect.

There's some sort of process that happens when you cook meat and then cool it and reheat it -- I forget what it's called -- but enhances the texture and flavor. You see that same effect with leftover beef stew, meatloaf, etc. The whole "It's better the second day" effect.

I don't know the name for the process either but when i do osso bucco i cook it the day before i'll be serving it as it too really comes alive with the 24 hour rest, not that there's anything wrong with the way it tastes when eating it immediately. I wonder how much that 24 hours of anticipation and deprivation play into a (seemingly) better tasting dish?

dave

Thanks again for the help. The corned beef and cabbage was delicious and tender. I am looking forward to the leftovers.

Too late for this but I always boiled the cabbage in the corned beef water after the beef was cooked in the crock pot.

This year I skipped the cabbage and potatoes and just made Reuben sandwiches. Yum!

We put the corned beef in the crock pot yesterday - yep again a little late to help anyone this year.. Cut up some potatoes, carrots and onions/leeks. Add liquid (broth or beer, etc) to cover stuff by at least an inch.. Cook on high 7h. Think it's a food network recipe.. Turned out nice.

Cook the cabbage separately. My wife will sautee a whole cabbage (chopped into edible strips) with a ton of butter in a dutch oven or large cast iron pan till it's soft. She'll eat the whole thing if nobody's watching..

Leftovers tonight! (no cabbage though :()...

We put the corned beef in the crock pot yesterday - yep again a little late to help anyone this year.. Cut up some potatoes, carrots and onions/leeks. Add liquid (broth or beer, etc) to cover stuff by at least an inch.. Cook on high 7h. Think it's a food network recipe.. Turned out nice.

Cook the cabbage separately. My wife will sautee a whole cabbage (chopped into edible strips) with a ton of butter in a dutch oven or large cast iron pan till it's soft. She'll eat the whole thing if nobody's watching..

Leftovers tonight! (no cabbage though :()...
Cabbage is, in my lowly opinion, the best part.

Another reason for me to cook the cabbage separately is that I'm the only one who will eat the stuff. I've been known to fry up the leftover cabbage and potatoes from the corned beef. Very tasty!

We do the corned beef & cabbage every year in a crock pot. This year we did two, one in a crockpot and second in pressure cooker. (That way we had plenty to do a corned beef hash)

We put the meat in, fat side up. We add all veggies other than cabbage. The cabbage goes in with maybe an hour left.

We added the cabbage at the beginning of the cycle and had great results. I would be OK with adding it about 3/4 of the water through next time. However, the flavor was amazing. I will definitely do it again soon.

I bought corned beef after st pattys day, discounted , if you use a pressure cooker , add the seasonings and cook for 90 minutes.
Fall apart tender , after it cools, it holds good and then i slice for sandwitches, have a cpl more in the freezer. Trim off the fat first and can lift it out with the rack. 90 mins for 4-5 lbs and no slow cooking for 8 hours.

Top Bottom