What's new

Simple, inexpensive, casual wear shoe?

Clark's Desert Boots or Clark's Bushacre (Desert Boot with the rubber sole rather than the crepe sole). They've become my go-to shoe when not dressing up, wearing my Iron Rangers, or wearing sneakers.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

$235 for a made-in-USA boot ... and Black Friday just around the corner.
I see they also sell nutrition stuff?? kinda leery of a boot maker that also sells supplements.

I’m not about to drop 400+ on a pair of shoes for just casual wear. Even if they will last the rest of my life.

Those Keens don’t look to bad. I’m over the black shoe thing so I’m glad they offer them in brown.
Agreed about not paying $400, but that's why I posted them as I got them for around $275. There is a sale now where you can get the Higgins boot for $199.97 less another 20% off at checkout. $160 for Allen Edmonds boots is insane if you can find it in your size.
Higgins Mill Boot with Dainite Sole by Allen Edmonds - https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens-boots/lace-up-boots/higgins-mill-boot-with-tumbled-leather/SF7539.html?dwvar_SF7539_color=7539#utm_source=Promotional&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=20191119_clearance_micropromotion_extra20-giftguide&partnerid=email_promotional_20191119clearancemicropromotionextra20-giftguide&utm_content=HeroExtra20Sale&mi_u=2003014854&mi_ecmp=20191119_clearance_micropromotion_extra20-giftguide&start=1

The Keen also comes in a waterproof chukka like boot. Men's Austin Casual Waterproof Boot - https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-AUSTIN-CASUAL-BOOT-WP.html?dwvar_M-AUSTIN-CASUAL-BOOT-WP_color=1019504&cgid=mens_footwear_boots

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I see they also sell nutrition stuff?? kinda leery of a boot maker that also sells supplements.

Kind of an interesting story about these guys ... they actually started out making bjj gis and have expanded into other stuff. They are keen on bringing manufacturing back to Maine, finding and revitalising old machinery and workers.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

Those are nice and they do have my size. But they are a little high on the ankle. Thanks for the tip though because while looking I found 2 pair at a deep discount I couldn’t pass up And now they are on their way to me.

82322813-5D84-421B-BCC3-C660FC4B0044.jpeg

I do have the Keen work shoe, which is composite safety toe. They are really comfortable!

E7C81931-CAD3-4364-87AF-C2B164EC0695.jpeg

Kind of an interesting story about these guys ... they actually started out making bjj gis and have expanded into other stuff. They are keen on bringing manufacturing back to Maine, finding and revitalising old machinery and workers.

The Made in USA is a good selling point for me. I’m super picky on shoes unless they are deeply discounted (see above). I may go to the Red Wing store and see what they have and get a proper fit. Find some USA boots there.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Jason, take a look at Thursday Boots. They have several styles, sub-$200, in lower boots (Chukka style) and some real nice higher shaft lace-ups. Excellent reputation, and, I believe, an excellent return policy.

Clark's Desert Boots or Clark's Bushacre (Desert Boot with the rubber sole rather than the crepe sole). They've become my go-to shoe when not dressing up, wearing my Iron Rangers, or wearing sneakers.

I'd stay away from the Bushacre. I like the rubber sole but the boots themselves are lower quality than the Desert Boots. Mine started separating within a month (between upper and sole). A decent cheap option (when they go on sale) are Jcrew MacAlister boots.

I'd stay away from the Bushacre. I like the rubber sole but the boots themselves are lower quality than the Desert Boots. Mine started separating within a month (between upper and sole). A decent cheap option (when they go on sale) are Jcrew MacAlister boots.

You may have had a one-off experience. Mine have been rock solid. I've been very happy and the soles seem to be very long-wearing.

Cheers.

What about Albirds or something similar sold by Amazon. 39-99. All wool, many colors, comfortable etc,

I really like my Allbirds.

I like Jack Purcells, too. They are going to be pretty much sneakers, if you have a concern for looking more refined. Maybe more summery than wintery, too. The Allbirds have something of a sneaker look but probably a bit more refined, and the act that their uppers are wool, makes them more all season, I would think.

As for more dressy but still sneakers the all white leather Reid sneakers from Beckett Simonon look a bit like the Jack Purcells, but are much dressier in "real life." Reid Sneakers - https://www.beckettsimonon.com/products/reid-sneakers They are a lot like the very expensive Common Project sneakers, which makes them seem dressier all by itself. I think these were on sale for as little as $100 recently. I would talk to one of their sales reps to see what you can get the price down to. Because all white, not really a winter shoes. I am sure their other casual shoes are nice. I have the Morgan sneakers, too.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
+1! Love my CBDs!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Well I went with 2 pair of Ariat. 2 pair will last longer than one! Plus the one pair is waterproof. And just showing the Crocs because I got those Tuesday and damn they are surprisingly comfortable.

AB604082-6E1E-4DEA-88C4-46C48328DB21.jpeg

These Jcrew MacAlister chukkas are $62 right now. 50% off code +15% off email signup code. I picked a set up at that price.

I like comfortable shoes (who doesn't? lol). Volunteering at a pharmacy with the Red Cross, I work once a week and am on my feet for up to 3 hours straight - and I like when we're busy, constant walking. My Salomon XA Pro 3D always work well and have broken in nicely. Tried my Chuck Taylors, but it's a flat feeling without much comfort - not uncomfortable, just not plush.

Just heard about Simple Shoes (very Chuck Taylorish) and was shopping around amazon, and found the SLO and OS Sneaker that look promising. But I eventually went with an ebay purchase ( discontinued model I think - to find this listing (he has more) search terms: New Mens SIMPLE BRAND 50's Daddy-O Black ECO Shoes US 9 ).

So comfortable! Less than half the price of the two on amazon that I mentioned.

proxy.php

Nice shoes--they look great!

For anybody looking for an alternative to Converse, I can recommend Ecco's Soft 7. I have a pair in a sort of coffee leather. Extremely comfortable, and they look sharp. I have worn the heck out of them in urban walking. Brush them off and they still look sharp, and your feet will love you.

On the other hand, if you want exactly the same traditional low sneaker style but with a build that allows you to wear it in rough conditions, I'd recommend the Altima OTB Maritime Assault (Low). I have a pair that I wear when I'm doing stuff around the water--they're great for kayaking and you can even wear them with fins (haven't tried that yet). But they're also extremely durable, clean up quickly, and look sharp. Mine are khaki/tan and look very nice with shorts or jeans.

These are the Jcrew chukkas I picked up. Going to be my new casual summer shoes (except when it rains because crepe soles). They've been sitting in the closet since received, need a good brushing. They feel super comfortable.

boots.jpg

I picked up two pairs of Darin chukkas from Unlisted by Kenneth Cole. For the price us sub $40/pair they are doing remarkably well. They have been holding up in wet weather, and the are comfortable enough. They haven't taken on any stains. The only complaint is that the soles are smooth and so not do well on a slick surface when wet, so I have considered putting some additional pad on the bottom to correct, but I also haven't felt the need to be super urgent about it.

1578585185141.png

So, I have been struggling trying to find a well made casual shoe for a good price. The problem is that you can't find a new one at your price point. By "well made", I am talking about a calf skin upper and recraftable soles. I found a pair of Allen Edmonds Wilberts. New they are $300. The pair I found are a gently used pair on eBay for less than $40. I am wearing them for the first time right now and let me tell you, they are great. They look good and are comfortable.

Top Bottom