What's new

Simple Gem Junior Repair

I was disappointed to find that my Gem Junior would not hold a blade because the back blade stop was missing. I devised a simple and easy repair that seems to work.

First: Cut a piece of thin plastic into a 4.2 cm (1-7/8”) x 12 mm (1/4”) strip. I used an old plastic cover off a Mead Five Star Notebook. (Measurements may need to be altered for different razors.)
Second: Fold the plastic in half, and with the cap closed feed it through the rectangular slot until it touches the base of the razor ( behind the handle thread).
Finally: Insert blade and close cap. Different materials may also be used instead of plastic, I am looking for a thin piece of copper. (Disclaimer: I don’t have any single edged blades designed for razors, so I have not given it a full test.)
37824991-8688-43B6-83CD-852DA25B7603.jpeg

46138C10-D32C-47DC-8110-DD7716414742.jpeg
7D976412-BC80-4062-B045-A508CEBCB912.jpeg

Attachments

• 76BFDD7C-0962-4C3F-AD01-AA7739EB0902.jpeg
    76BFDD7C-0962-4C3F-AD01-AA7739EB0902.jpeg
    735.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I finally tested the repaired razor, and it works! I got a CCS on a broken in blade with no mishaps.

In the intervening time I tried two alternate fixes.

1. Metal Strip from a can lid. This is a little more difficult because it requires some precise bends where the blade touches it. I got the correct shape, but I would have had to solder or epoxy the strip in place for it to stay secure.

2. Thicker Plastic from a peroxide bottle. The plastic was too thick to fold properly. It seems the thin plastic that I choose the first time was the best.

If you check out the straight razor repair board, they discuss peening rivets. If you can do that, you can take the top cap off, drill the rivets out and use flat stock to replace your spring.

I can't say "it's worth it," as far as time & cost, but it is personally very satisfying.😊. I replaced the spring on a Heljestrand wedge this way.

If you check out the straight razor repair board, they discuss peening rivets. If you can do that, you can take the top cap off, drill the rivets out and use flat stock to replace your spring.

I can't say "it's worth it," as far as time & cost, but it is personally very satisfying.😊. I replaced the spring on a Heljestrand wedge this way.
Good good for you! I know the feeling. I’m generally handy with things that aren’t overly technical or detailed. I admire your skill! Do you have a picture of the result?

Good good for you! I know the feeling. I’m generally handy with things that aren’t overly technical or detailed. I admire your skill! Do you have a picture of the result?
I will have to see if I can locate it tomorrow. Still in a moving box from 6 years ago, I believe.😜😁

Top Bottom