What's new

Simms : Old Canadian Brushes

This morning I passed by an antique boutique and, since I had some time on my hands, decided to have a look. Among other things, I have a found shaving brush with an interesting ivory colored handle (resin) and with a shape somewhat similar to the Kent's BK4. Underneath it was written "Simms Canada" and, on the front, the model name was "Rajah." After some investigation, I have found out that a canadian company named Simms founded in 1866 still exists and now exclusively makes paintbrushes. Unfortunately, thats all I know about this old line of "made in Canada" brushes.

Here is the website of the paintbrush company http://www.tssimms.com/ I might email them to know what was the period they made badger brushes, although I'm quite sure the sales rep won't have a clue of what I am talking about. :biggrin:

Noc.

Simms has been around for a long time as you have stated. They are know for high quality paintbrushes. I grew up in the same hometown as the company. It was always know as Simms brush factory to the locals.
Here is a little tidbit about the factory,

"T.S. Simms Brush Factory is truly an anachronism in appearance as factories go these days. It’s a late Victorian era design known as daylight construction, and was popular for area shoe factories and cotton mills. Opened in 1912, its windows originally had 25,000 panes of glass. The plant was the first all-concrete building in the city and also the first to have a fire sprinkler system. T. S. Simms is the leading brush manufacturer in Canada and their name is seen on some 700 product lines worldwide. The Simms’ name is also attached to the nearby confusing corner known for its strange traffic patterns... so strange everyone slows down and there is rarely an accident."

The model I've saw was rather nice, I wonder if they had a whole range of shaving brushes?

Edit: lol, 700 lines of products? No wonder they've endend up doing shaving brushes. Thanks for the historical update Handy.

Kind of a shame that a company proficient in brush manufacture doesn't make a shaving brush. Kind of a sign of the times, canned shave cream, disposable razors.

I emailed them a couple of days ago and am still awaiting an answer.

I made them aware that there was a HUUUUUGE web-community of canadian traditional wetshavers only waiting for them to resume their shaving brush production. :biggrin:

With this, JM Fraser and Boosters, we would only need a razor producer to proclaim shaving autarky! Or we could just annex Germany :skep: ...

:lol:

Hi,

I was recently given an antique travel shave kit including a folding mirror, a small bowl, and a Simms brush. I came across this thread and I decided to post some pictures of the brush to see if anyone could tell me anything about it. It seems to say "Trademark" with SIMMS in between the two words, and set in rubber through the word simms (in very small letters). On the back it says STERILIZED with the number 20 underneath, and the words made in Canada. Enjoy, thank you and any help is appreciated.

Antonio

Last edited:
I emailed them a couple of days ago and am still awaiting an answer.

I made them aware that there was a HUUUUUGE web-community of canadian traditional wetshavers only waiting for them to resume their shaving brush production. :biggrin:

With this, JM Fraser and Boosters, we would only need a razor producer to proclaim shaving autarky! Or we could just annex Germany :skep: ...

:lol:

Awesome post! I will sign your petition three times to boost our Canadian numbers! Annex Germany...I actually laugheed out loud for real!

Awesome post! I will sign your petition three times to boost our Canadian numbers! Annex Germany...I actually laugheed out loud for real!

I also emailed them two days ago. I received a reply within 12 hours. I made them aware of a large following of wetshavers who marvel about their products, and would love to see their shaving brushes return. The rep told me that it was improbable that they would restart their manufacturing of these brushes as they would need to do a lot of market research and analysis before launching.

Simms with huge 30mm synthetic knot. CrownKing 24mm knot for comparison. The Simms is easily my favorite brush. Feels perfect in the hand.

jeff
$IMG_0619.jpg

It is good to keep these threads going as a source of information. Info and pics of Canadian specific brands can be hard to find. As a collector of Canadian shave goods, I thought I would post a bit of info and some pics here to keep a thread on Simms brushes alive.

I am not sure of the year, but here is a screenshot from an old Simpsons catalogue with two Simms brushes:

Screenshot_20180702-191154.jpg

Here are a few brushes. I will clean these three up and give them new knots (at least this is the plan).
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

I have a Simms in cream and blue with a vintage Silvertip I transplanted into it. I added a little bit of weight to the hollow handle.

With a 20mm knot it's a fabulous daily driver.

So ergonomic.

I have a Simms brush that's has the shape similar to the #14 pictured earlier. The original knot came out, so I replaced it with a synthetic one from Maggard's.
On the bulb, it has Simms on one side and the# 243 on the other.
It's my favorite traveling brush.
IMG_20180705_222739.jpg IMG_20180705_222532.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom