What's new

Similar to Santal suggestions?

So I've been enjoying Floris Santal. However, I feel it's just not quite unique enough for my tastes. Any suggestions for one that's similar but with a little more character?

1818 is a much drier scent. Decent, but not exceptional IMO. If you like Santal, I would bet you would like L'Artisan Tea for Two. Farther away, perhaps L'Occitane Eav des Bavx. Good luck.

1818 is something I've been wanting to try. I've also never tried L'Artison Tea for Two. I've tried the Eav des Bavx, but if I'm going for something from L'Occitane, I'd rather have Eau du Badian (on my short list).

1818 is very similar to Taylor Sandalwood, if you have tried that. I have the Badian as decants if you want it - great scent.

Scotto said:
1818 is very similar to Taylor Sandalwood, if you have tried that. I have the Badian as decants if you want it - great scent.

Was that you who said Pecksniff's Oriental Woody smells similar to Taylor Sandalwood, as well?

Yeah, I may need to get a Badian decant from you soon.

Scotto said:
Pecksniff Oriental Woody = Trumper Sandalwood, not Taylor. Very different scents.

Ah...I was close! But smelling neither Trumper or Taylor Sandalwood, I was remembering in the dark.

Hi John. Another vote for 1818. It has a lot more heart note to it including a spicy(in a real good way)component. I have a bottle of the Santal and it's a scent I use when I want to take no chances on offending anyone. I find it's initial application to be it's best. On me the dry down comes through as very vanilla with just a slight powder note. It does not last long on my skin. I like it but that's it. Brook's 1818 is superior to this in every way to my notion. And I can gaurantee you you won't be smelling it or some desinger clone on every other chap you run across. I have gotten UNIVERSAL thumbs up from every female who's caught a whiff of it. Again, I'm not hammering Santal, I just think it's one of those "safe" scents that was designed that way on purpose. As you say, uniquiness is not its forte.

Regards, Todd

Scotto said:
1818 is very similar to Taylor Sandalwood, if you have tried that.

Hi Scotto. Interesting. I had never heard that 1818 was similar to Taylor Sandalwood. If so, the Sandalwood is a good scent indeed. I would think that 1818 would be a better bargain since you get 6.8oz. for about $50. That may have saved me a few bucks since I was considering buying a bottle of the Sandalwood. Do you have a decant of the Taylor Sandalwood? I might be interested in trying it that way. Thanks.

Regards, Todd

Scotto said:
Pecksniff Oriental Woody = Trumper Sandalwood, not Taylor. Very different scents.

Ah, another interesting comparison. Trumper Sandalwood is an absolute favourite of mine. It is easily the longest lasting scent I own and it never smells cheap or synthetic. I was going to get a bottle of it but this Pecksniff Oriental Woody has me interested. I don't think there's a huge price difference between them ounce for ounce so this one may need to be tested by way of decant as well. Dang you guys anyway. This time of year is when I start looking at my woolen caps, English blend tobaccos, Renaissance festivals, and woody/spicy colognes. You lot are going to break me.

Regards, Todd

Phog Allen said:
Hi Scotto. Interesting. I had never heard that 1818 was similar to Taylor Sandalwood. If so, the Sandalwood is a good scent indeed. I would think that 1818 would be a better bargain since you get 6.8oz. for about $50. That may have saved me a few bucks since I was considering buying a bottle of the Sandalwood. Do you have a decant of the Taylor Sandalwood? I might be interested in trying it that way. Thanks.

Regards, Todd
Hi Todd. I am not a fan of the Taylor Sandalwood, and by extension, the 1818. Very dry, musty scents that come across as too "old" for me. I would imagine a lot of gents, including yourself, would really like this one (not saying you are old...), but it doesn't fit my personality.

BTW, I bet you would love the Floris Sandalwood, which I do have, and I think is a much better scent overall. Very understated and elegant.

LOL Scotto! I take no offense the old musty reference. I am a curmudgeon and proud of it. Wow, it is interesting how scents affect people. On ME, the 1818 and Santal have a slightly sweet note. In fact, if the 1818 were a "sweet" fragrance it would probably be too much for me. I noticed the Floris Sandalwood on your decant lists and was most intrigued. BTW, that is one heck of a listing you have and it's a great service to all at B&B. I don't how much you have tied up in all those scents but it would scare me to death. Your decant prices are a steal. Good job bud.

Regards, Todd

S

Sam

A spicier Santal is Parfums de Nicolai's New York. Lasts a long time as well. Free shipping at Beautyhabit.com. Check the reviews of it at www.basenotes.net.

Sam

Phog Allen said:
LOL Scotto! I take no offense the old musty reference. I am a curmudgeon and proud of it. Wow, it is interesting how scents affect people. On ME, the 1818 and Santal have a slightly sweet note. In fact, if the 1818 were a "sweet" fragrance it would probably be too much for me. I noticed the Floris Sandalwood on your decant lists and was most intrigued. BTW, that is one heck of a listing you have and it's a great service to all at B&B. I don't how much you have tied up in all those scents but it would scare me to death. Your decant prices are a steal. Good job bud.

Regards, Todd

I agree.

Ditto what scotto says about the Floris Sandalwood. Floris Santal is not a sandalwood frangrence at all. The title is misleading indeed.

It's been a little while since I wore Santal, but is my nose decieving me that Pechsniff's Aromatic Chypre is in the right direction? On me, it seems there's a similarity to Santal, but with a little more spice and woods hidden in the background. I wore it for the first time this morning and my wife loved it.

Top Bottom