What's new

Similar Synthetic Knots?

With all of the synthetic knots available today, does anybody know which ones are more similar to others?

For example, I have a Mother Lode, Black Wolf (looks like Tuxedo), Ubersoft (fairly common looking Plissoft style?), Shavemac synthetic fan (looks similar to the FlatTop), and a Plisson in my collection.

But how do they compare to other knots like SynBad, Cashmere, SilkSmoke, Timberwolf, Muhle STF, synthetic Horse, etc? It's all so confusing.

To provide a specific comparison, is a Timberwolf knot super similar to a Tuxedo/Black Wolf knot? Would it be similar to any other knot I already have?

What about SilkSmoke or SynBad?

Here's my limited experience with synthetic knot types:

Plissoft - not so dense, not so soft, takes the longest to make a lather regardless of the knot size
Tuxedo - denser and softer than Plissoft, takes less time to make a lather, yet is a pain for me to splay
Timberwolf - as dense as Tuxedo while not as soft (and very boar-like in feel), splay very nicely / lather quckly

Timberwolf for-the-win, for me anyways.

With all of the synthetic knots available today, does anybody know which ones are more similar to others?

For example, I have a Mother Lode, Black Wolf (looks like Tuxedo), Ubersoft (fairly common looking Plissoft style?), Shavemac synthetic fan (looks similar to the FlatTop), and a Plisson in my collection.

But how do they compare to other knots like SynBad, Cashmere, SilkSmoke, Timberwolf, Muhle STF, synthetic Horse, etc? It's all so confusing.
From my experience with synthetics, they all perform well regardless of their types.

Here's what I tried from your list
Synbad - soft, mid backbone, but felt pokey (I did get it set quite deep.. maybe 50mm?)
Silksmoke - I have the PAA Rosswell knot which is very similar. Soft, mid-high backbone, slight resistance to splay but feels good.
Timberwolf - soft, mid backbone, easy to splay and comfortable. One of better ones IMO
Synthetic horse - I haven't used this one but the general consensus is floppy and very soft.

I like Duro knot the best out of the synthetics.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
From my experience with synthetics, they all perform well regardless of their types.

Here's what I tried from your list
Synbad - soft, mid backbone, but felt pokey (I did get it set quite deep.. maybe 50mm?)
Silksmoke - I have the PAA Rosswell knot which is very similar. Soft, mid-high backbone, slight resistance to splay but feels good.
Timberwolf - soft, mid backbone, easy to splay and comfortable. One of better ones IMO
Synthetic horse - I haven't used this one but the general consensus is floppy and very soft.

I like Duro knot the best out of the synthetics.
Excellent summary!

Top Bottom