What's new

Similar scritch to Wee Scott?

I used a Simpson Wee Scott last weekend and loves the stiffness and scritch.

Can anybody recommend a full size hybrid fan/bulb brush off similar feel? Or any brush of a different shape you think should be included in the comparison, I'm not picky. I just love the stiff scritch.

How about price categorization?

Under $50:

$50-$100:

$100+:

Thanks for all your advice!

I used a Simpson Wee Scott last weekend and loves the stiffness and scritch.

Can anybody recommend a full size hybrid fan/bulb brush off similar feel? Or any brush of a different shape you think should be included in the comparison, I'm not picky. I just love the stiff scritch.

How about price categorization?

Under $50:

$50-$100:

$100+:

Thanks for all your advice!

Odd, I don't get any scritch from my Wee Scot, and I would know if I did. I hate scritch! H

Generally bulb brushes will be a bit more firm than fan brushes of the same hair type. If you want ultimate scritch, get a Shavemac D01 2 band and have it set at a short loft. The Semogue Owners Club (SOC) 2 band is also very firm with some definite scritch.

I'll let others recommend the brushes at the various price points. But a higher end one you might want to look at (besides the Shavemac D01 2 band) would be a Morris and Forndran Blonde Badger.

You want scritch, get a Simpsons in Pure. (That might be too much?)The Simpson Best hair must be variable indeed, because I get no scritch from my Wee Scot, or from 2 others in Best (Duke2 and Colonel X2L)Then again, I really don't get scritch from the SOC 2band, either.Pure, as mentioned, is very scritchy. Not Simpsons, but all of the horsehair brushes I've tried were scritchy.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Simpson Special
I have the $23 version
it is the only one I use now

If you are looking a Badger hair, you would want either Best or Finest. Pure, 100%, Gray, or Black would definitely be more scritchy. I have one Best and I think four Finests, and my choice is most certainly Finest.

I suspect the Simpson's Pure is really a higher grade.

Sometimes it is hard to tell because there is no standardized grading scheme.

If you are looking a Badger hair, you would want either Best or Finest. Pure, 100%, Gray, or Black would definitely be more scritchy. I have one Best and I think four Finests, and my choice is most certainly Finest. I suspect the Simpson's Pure is really a higher grade. Sometimes it is hard to tell because there is no standardized grading scheme.
Simpsons Pure is sourced from porcupines, I think. It's not a higher grade than Best, if that's what you meant. I have a Simpsons Case in Pure.It loads the hardest of soaps without blinking, and it lathers quite well; care must be taken when applying it to one's face. Strictly bowl- or palm-lathering for that one. Pure badger knots are certainly less expensive than anything else from Simpsons, at least.

Simpsons Pure is sourced from porcupines, I think. It's not a higher grade than Best, if that's what you meant. I have a Simpsons Case in Pure.It loads the hardest of soaps without blinking, and it lathers quite well; care must be taken when applying it to one's face. Strictly bowl- or palm-lathering for that one. Pure badger knots are certainly less expensive than anything else from Simpsons, at least.

Good information. You have just lowered my opinion of Simpson.

Good information. You have just lowered my opinion of Simpson.
They're very up front about Pure being their lowest grade. I don't think that should lower anyone's opinion... the most affordable grade, and some people really like to stab their faces with badgers. Other companies often use the word Pure, or Black Badger, to mean the same thing. It ain't Ivory Soap we're talking about!

So it sounds like the Wee Scot is about as scritchy as the Art of Shaving Temporary brush which is nearly as small. I have one of those and I'm probably going to re-knot it.

The AOS temporary brush often shows up on ebay for around $12.00.

You could get an Omega mixed midget, or 11047 officially, I haven't used it myself but it's a small brush similar to the wee scot, although slightly bigger if I remember correctly. I imagine since it has a mixture of boar and badger it would be firm and slightly scritchy.

Even though you haven't tried a Mixed Midget, you described its characteristics exactly. Slightly bigger then the Mixed Midget is the Omega Mighty Midget. Nicely scritchy, but more normally sized, and under $10

Even though you haven't tried a Mixed Midget, you described its characteristics exactly. Slightly bigger then the Mixed Midget is the Omega Mighty Midget. Nicely scritchy, but more normally sized, and under $10

Where is it found for under $10? $13 was the best price I could find.

Odd, I don't get any scritch from my Wee Scot, and I would know if I did. I hate scritch!
+1 ... My Wee Scot is nice and soft, plenty of backbone, and a great performer. I used it the other day with some Blenheim Bouquet cream, and it never fails to knock me out with how great a brush it is.

I wish people would stop thinking of it as just a travel brush. It can hold its own against any brush at home, too.

As for the scritch factor, the only one I have that is really scritchy is an SOC boar with cherry handle. But, I also have an SOC with an ash handle that is nice and soft, but too floppy. Both brushes have the same knot, are the same age, and have had a similar break-in. But they developed very unique personalities.

Top Bottom