What's new

Similar Scent to TH 1805

Gentlemen I have a dilemna,

After trying each shaving cream offered in the TH sampler pack, the 1805 scent stole the show, however as luck would have it, it left my skin dry. Even midway through the shave I noticed the lather drying out on my face and faint irritation building. Read a few reviews here on it and there seems to be a concensus to TH being on the dry side, are there any similar scents to the 1805 that don't leave the skin dry?

Thanks

I don't know of any creams that have a scent that much similar to 1805. However, Penhaligon's Endymion is a scent "in a similar vein." It's a little more complex and perhaps a bit darker (if that's the right word) but there are some similarities.

I've never heard anybody complain about the Penhaligon's creams being drying, so the Endymion might be an option.

Bad news is that it's not cheap.

Here's another idea; may or may not be a good one.

You could get a sample pack of colognes from T&H. Then, go to WalMart and buy some VDH or VDH Deluxe shaving soap. Take it home, melt it down, add a few drops of the 1805 cologne, stir, and then let it set up.

It wouldn't smell EXACTLY like the 1805 cream, because the VDH has a scent of its own, but it might be a pretty good substitute. It'd be a heck of a lot cheaper, VDH Deluxe doesn't dry my face out at all.

It's just a thought.

I also love the 1805 scent and the cream irritates my face alot. I have the cologne, and while its good, i dont think it holds a candle to the smell of the cream :frown:. The cream has this wonderful oceanic depth to it that usually doesnt come through in the cologne. Now im sitting on a full tub of it that i cant use, ill probably put it together as a package with all the other stuff im allergic to and b/s/t it. Thanks for the penhaligon's recommendation.

You could get a sample pack of colognes from T&H. Then, go to WalMart and buy some VDH or VDH Deluxe shaving soap. Take it home, melt it down, add a few drops of the 1805 cologne, stir, and then let it set up.

It wouldn't smell EXACTLY like the 1805 cream, because the VDH has a scent of its own, but it might be a pretty good substitute. It'd be a heck of a lot cheaper, VDH Deluxe doesn't dry my face out at all.

It's just a thought.

Agreed, the VDH shaving soap works much better and never leaves my face dried out. How does a luxury brand such as T&H make a shaving cream that smells so good but performs so poorly. Your recommendation is valid, I'll have to give it a try to see what happens. Thanks for the recommendation on the Penhaligon's I'll definitely get a sample to try out.

As a disclaimer, I have a really poor sense of smell, but, to me, GFT shave cream smells a little like 1805. I would at least recommend trying a sample of it.

- Chase

As a disclaimer, I have a really poor sense of smell, but, to me, GFT shave cream smells a little like 1805. I would at least recommend trying a sample of it.

- Chase

I was just about to suggest that myself. I can definitely tell the two apart, but they are very similar to my nose.

It's just a thought.

In that vein, some of the independent retailers (Sue?) sell unscented cream and soap for the same purpose.

+1. I love 1805 but Grafton is a very close second.

They're not talking about Grafton; they're talking about Trumper's "GFT" cream.

I think it smells pretty good. Not quite like 1805, and different from Endymion, but pretty good, anyway.

The Trumper's GFT would be less expensive than Endymion.

They're not talking about Grafton; they're talking about Trumper's "GFT" cream.

I think it smells pretty good. Not quite like 1805, and different from Endymion, but pretty good, anyway.

The Trumper's GFT would be less expensive than Endymion.

Woops - my bad. I should have spotted that!

Yesterday evening when I got home from work I pulled out a GFT cream sample, my 1805 EDC, and my Endymion EDC to compare scents.

To MY nose, the GFT is a little darker (?spicier?) than 1805. Endymion also has some peppery notes to it that are not present in the 1805, but to me it seems more closely related to the 1805 than GFT does. All three of them smell good, but I prefer Endymion to GFT.

I thought this might be helpful.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
To MY nose, the GFT is a little darker (?spicier?) than 1805.

Definately!
Good description...darker and spicier!
both are quite unique.... in my earlier days of experimenting with what I liked, I fancied them both. Now I pretty much stick to shaving soaps and would only consider the EDT versions of GFT or TH 1805 now.

To me and I don't have the best of nose's but the one cream that smells similar to T&H 1805 is EJ Sea Buckthorn, to me they both have an outdoors type fresh scent. The EJ Sea Buckthorn which may be made by Muehle or perhaps the same people make the Muehle version, regardless it appears to be the same cream is imho a better moisturizing and slicker cream then the T&H, of course ymmv and all that

Top Bottom