What's new

Silvertip- Wolf Whiskers or Shavemac?

I am still fairly new to traditional wet shaving and one of my favorite things about it is using a brush. I feel like saving up for a luxury/custom brush and would like some input from those of you who have more experience with this than me.

I have pretty sensitive skin that reacts badly to getting scratched and poked by a synthetic, so I have zeroed in on silvertip. I currently have a west coast shaving lantern silvertip. I don't know much about the quality of the knot, but is a pretty cheap for a silvertip so I assume there is much better out there. Anyone have experience with this - especially compared to a TGN silvertip knot or a shavemac silvertip or silvertip two band?

My interest has been caught by both wolf whiskers and Shavemac. Being indecisive, I can't really decide on which one to go with. Part of it is the knot choices. The idea of the shavemac two band silvertip is intriguing, but I don't know what to expect with it. I don't think I want 'scritch' because of my sensitive skin. Softness is a good thing.

The waitlist for wolf whiskers doesn't really bother me, so it's not really a significant factor. I do like the infinite options for handle design.

So really the #1 question for me is how do the different knots compare? I am thinking a 25 or 26 mm knot. For wolf whiskers I would want a silvertip. For Shavemac, either silvertip (thinking of trying a fan) or a silvertip 2 band. How do each of these compare to the wcs knot I am using now? Is the 2-band scratchy or just denser? Would the wolf whiskers TGN Silvertip be a significant step up from what i have now? What are the advantages of a bulb vs a fan knot? Etc...

I am full of questions.
Any experience or recommendation is very welcome. Thanks gents!

I am still fairly new to traditional wet shaving and one of my favorite things about it is using a brush. I feel like saving up for a luxury/custom brush and would like some input from those of you who have more experience with this than me.

I have pretty sensitive skin that reacts badly to getting scratched and poked by a synthetic, so I have zeroed in on silvertip. I currently have a west coast shaving lantern silvertip. I don't know much about the quality of the knot, but is a pretty cheap for a silvertip so I assume there is much better out there. Anyone have experience with this - especially compared to a TGN silvertip knot or a shavemac silvertip or silvertip two band?

My interest has been caught by both wolf whiskers and Shavemac. Being indecisive, I can't really decide on which one to go with. Part of it is the knot choices. The idea of the shavemac two band silvertip is intriguing, but I don't know what to expect with it. I don't think I want 'scritch' because of my sensitive skin. Softness is a good thing.

The waitlist for wolf whiskers doesn't really bother me, so it's not really a significant factor. I do like the infinite options for handle design.

So really the #1 question for me is how do the different knots compare? I am thinking a 25 or 26 mm knot. For wolf whiskers I would want a silvertip. For Shavemac, either silvertip (thinking of trying a fan) or a silvertip 2 band. How do each of these compare to the wcs knot I am using now? Is the 2-band scratchy or just denser? Would the wolf whiskers TGN Silvertip be a significant step up from what i have now? What are the advantages of a bulb vs a fan knot? Etc...

I am full of questions.
Any experience or recommendation is very welcome. Thanks gents!

I am not the most experienced with Shavemac knots, but Wolf Whiskers handles are pretty incredible, especially given the chance for you to totally customize shape, color, size, etc. You could ask Peter if he could put a Shavemac knot in your WW brush. I read on one of the forums that he did that before.

Frankly, if your skin is that sensitive, you might be better off with a softer synthetic. See "floppiest synthetic brush."

My first brush was a synthetic by Vikings blade. At the time it felt amazing because it was part of my first experience with traditional wet shaving. Now after using even a cheap silvertip, I view that synthetic as nearly useless. I don't like the floppiness and the fibers poke my skin in unpleasant ways that I have never experienced with silvertip. I understand there are a lot of people who like synthetics, but at this point I am not one of them.

My goal with a new brush has actually changed today. I learned that a good friend of mine has a lathe - so I am going to try my hand at making my own handle. I can then set whatever knot I want, and am currently leaning toward splurging on a shavemac knot. I sure wouldn't mind some opinions and experience with their silvertip and silvertip 2-band, loft, etc.

I think that Peter will let you choose what knot you want in your WW handle right? I haven’t looked at his offerings in a few years so if I am off on that I apologize...
Either way though, I think there are a number of artisans/hobbyists that offer knots with very soft tips and a varying amount of backbone. Do you prefer to bowl lather or face lather?

My first brush was a synthetic by Vikings blade. At the time it felt amazing because it was part of my first experience with traditional wet shaving. Now after using even a cheap silvertip, I view that synthetic as nearly useless. I don't like the floppiness and the fibers poke my skin in unpleasant ways that I have never experienced with silvertip. I understand there are a lot of people who like synthetics, but at this point I am not one of them.
If your just not a synthetic kind of person, (and thats all good), don't judge today's knots by an old standard that you tried... This viewpoint is certainly not an uncommon one for someone that hasn't tried the newer versions of synthetics like Timberwolf, SynBad, Cashmere, Boss, and a few others that are offered today and has itched that spot that natural hair users have looked for in a shave brush other than natural. Floppy and poky are a thing of the past with newer synthetics!! Don't let an out of date knot sell out your view on something that quite a few have changed to in recent times and have either sold all their natural hair brushes or relegated them to the back of the cabinet...

If your just not a synthetic kind of person, (and thats all good), don't judge today's knots by an old standard that you tried... This viewpoint is certainly not an uncommon one for someone that hasn't tried the newer versions of synthetics like Timberwolf, SynBad, Cashmere, Boss, and a few others that are offered today and has itched that spot that natural hair users have looked for in a shave brush other than natural. Floppy and poky are a thing of the past with newer synthetics!! Don't let an out of date knot sell out your view on something that quite a few have changed to in recent times and have either sold all their natural hair brushes or relegated them to the back of the cabinet...

I realize this is likely what I am doing. However I am happy with the feel and performance of badger, and until i can get another brush without causing exasperation for my wife, my collection will be quite minimal. In the end, I don't have a good synthetic. I would find it hard to spend money on a brush I have no guarantee I would like. Perhaps someday I will try a good synthetic knot and wonder why it took me so long. Dunno.
At this point I have decided to try turning my own handle, and have ordered a TGN finest super 2 band knot. I admit to having fun with this...

I hear you shave brother... I went down the synthetic brush road starting with the Plisson, then the Shave Revolution followed by the RazoRock Plissofts and never found that Goldi Locks experience others have. I know there has been a lot of evolution of the synthetic fibers in the past couple of years and there is great value to be had, but I have mostly given away all my synth brushes and just recently changed one of my Wolf Whiskers handles to a 24mm Maggard SHD 2-Band knot.

In the attached photos are a Shavemac Germania 26mm 2-band silvertip set at 54mm loft. A brown Wolf Whiskers Little Johnnie with a 24mm TGN Grade A Silvertip set at 48mm loft. Lastly a blue Wolf Whiskers Bishop with the Maggard SHD 24mm 2-band silvertip set at 49mm loft. These are all listed as BULB shaped knots but as you can easily see the shape varies wildly. I think only Shavemac and Thater make truest bulb shape knots, and while beautiful and great performers, they do accel as bowl latherers, while the hybrib bulb/fan shape knots, like these two or a Simpson Chubby are more versatile. Conversely a true fan knot is probably the best for face lathering.

Before the Germania I had a Shavemac 944 with the D01 Silvertip, and though I do not have sensitive skin I found it much to firm for my liking and ended up with the 2-band silvertip instead.

Of the three the TGN Grade A is softest when felt dry on the skin, but when wet is a bit floppy even at the 2:1 loft/diameter whereas the 2-bands become amazing when wet.

As an exclusive face latherer, the Maggard SHD / Wolf Whiskers is my current favorite. I do have others that are similar and also perform great but not on point today.

I really can't believe how awesome the Maggard SHD knot is and recommend it highly... But Bernd at Shavemac is a pleasure to work with and his stuff is top notch. I think Shavemac and Thater don't get enough love because they are relatively easy to purchase when compared to Paladin, Wiborg, Declaration Grooming, The Varet or other exclusive brushes. Harder to come by obviously makes them better?
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

If you want a custom brush in a Shavemac knot have you considered Rudy Vey? He can make you a brush with any knot you desire and if you contact him he can advise you on what knots you should consider.

I hear you shave brother... I went down the synthetic brush road starting with the Plisson, then the Shave Revolution followed by the RazoRock Plissofts and never found that Goldi Locks experience others have. I know there has been a lot of evolution of the synthetic fibers in the past couple of years and there is great value to be had, but I have mostly given away all my synth brushes and just recently changed one of my Wolf Whiskers handles to a 24mm Maggard SHD 2-Band knot.

In the attached photos are a Shavemac Germania 26mm 2-band silvertip set at 54mm loft. A brown Wolf Whiskers Little Johnnie with a 24mm TGN Grade A Silvertip set at 48mm loft. Lastly a blue Wolf Whiskers Bishop with the Maggard SHD 24mm 2-band silvertip set at 49mm loft. These are all listed as BULB shaped knots but as you can easily see the shape varies wildly. I think only Shavemac and Thater make truest bulb shape knots, and while beautiful and great performers, they do accel as bowl latherers, while the hybrib bulb/fan shape knots, like these two or a Simpson Chubby are more versatile. Conversely a true fan knot is probably the best for face lathering.

Before the Germania I had a Shavemac 944 with the D01 Silvertip, and though I do not have sensitive skin I found it much to firm for my liking and ended up with the 2-band silvertip instead.

Of the three the TGN Grade A is softest when felt dry on the skin, but when wet is a bit floppy even at the 2:1 loft/diameter whereas the 2-bands become amazing when wet.

As an exclusive face latherer, the Maggard SHD / Wolf Whiskers is my current favorite. I do have others that are similar and also perform great but not on point today.

I really can't believe how awesome the Maggard SHD knot is and recommend it highly... But Bernd at Shavemac is a pleasure to work with and his stuff is top notch. I think Shavemac and Thater don't get enough love because they are relatively easy to purchase when compared to Paladin, Wiborg, Declaration Grooming, The Varet or other exclusive brushes. Harder to come by obviously makes them better?
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

GREAT LINE-UP!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tough to beat either Shavemac or the SHD 2-band! These are favorites around here!

I had a ShaveMac DO1 & sold it as it was too scratchy for my liking. I have a WW with a silvertip fan & love it.

Top Bottom