What's new

Silvertip Shootout!! Bloodlust SR 3118 vs SR 3128

For some reason, unbeknownst to me, shavegeeks appear to love framing comparisons as though they were some sort of battle or blood sport. Well, I guess that's why they are shavegeeks and the thread name panders to their propinquity.:001_rolle

In keeping with my word, something men do, I bring to you this exclusive report on the Savile Row 3118. Yes, an 18mm knot cutie in the stable of 26 (small*), 28(medium*), and 32mm(large*) badger hair knots.

Charles, the web raconteur of wet shaving, has selflessly chosen to support the varying tastes of his discerning customers by providing them with the choices they deserve and should have. No silly marketing manure like some of the psuedo old school brush purveyors (tut tut and pip pip and all that crap). No new names or silly new gradings, just the best silvertip. No plugs or shorts or fines or filler here. Just the real deal.
With all of that in mind, please allow me to introduce my two friends, the 3118 and 3128. The '18 a newcomer, unused as yet, just in off the UPS truck here in the wet shaving mecca of the midwest, no bloom yet. The '28, my good friend and lather maker par excellence.

full

Pretty, aren't they. Here they are with the zoom in on the business end.

full

and last but not least (for today), the daunting overhead.

full

Such splendid hair in those bundles. Quantity and quality. Well, tune in for tomorrow's shave of the century.

Last edited by a moderator:
mark the shoeshine boy said:
well how much is this cute little feller ????

oh great post of posters...lathermeister.....:blush:

I'm getting sick....just tell me the price...

mark tssb
For you? $75 plus shipping.. Anybody else, $75 plus shipping.. Stick around for the shave out!

Here are the results of my first use of the SR 3118. Using Institut Karite Shaving Soap that is just loaded with shea butter, the lil' fellow whipped up a super wet and slick lather. I was astounded by how wonderfully the the brush scrubbed and lathered the visage.
This photo shows the brush after 4 superb latherings.

full

guenron said:
Here are the results of my first use of the SR 3118. Using Institut Karite Shaving Soap that is just loaded with shea butter, the lil' fellow whipped up a super wet and slick lather. I was astounded by how wonderfully the the brush scrubbed and lathered the visage.
This photo shows the brush after 4 superb latherings.

full

Great pic Ron. Okay, Simpson's has their Wee Scot, how about we call this one Bambino?

Regards, Todd

I like it! Now whether its vendor would call it The Bambino, I know not, but that's its name in the brush stable. (Move over Mr. Ed!) Stand by for day 2's shave with Geo. F. Trumper Sandalwood, The Shave of the Millenium!!!:thumbup:

Well Gents,
As previously promised you will get the chance to view the 3118 next to the 3128 for purpose of comparison. The first three shots parallel yesterday's pix so that you can see the 3118 after the first bloom.
First, after some discussion, if Simpsons can have a Wee Scot, we decided to have an Il Bambino (Italian for The Baby)! That's Phog Allen and I doing the deciding by the way (Sorry Mr. Savile Row, it's our call for now).

Since the SR 3118 did such an outstanding job, I decided to let it step-up to the 3128's height for this photo session.

full

The head shot:

full

and the daunting overhead after a bit of the bloom:

full

To avoid extra postitis, I'll put this AM's SOTD here. Il Bambino once again made lather like a foaming race horse. This is the brush after 4 passes with Mr. Geo. F. Trumper and his herbal sandalwood shaving soap which was whipped into a lather and applied to the visage 4 times.

full

Il Bambino, like its namesake, knocks 'em outta the park everytime. What a brush!

Stay tuned for a CREAM OUT tomorrow.

Given the small size of the SR 3118 I was skeptical that it would be able to satisfy my lust for lather. I thought that I would buy it and probably end up putting it aside for travel in place of my pure badger. WRONG O! I am here to tell you that this diminutive brush's performance is really king sized.
Since this is a small brush, I will do a small review. I shall try to use a different type of vendors soap/cream every day until I exhaust the most popular categories and give you the opportunity to see the ever popular after 4 passes shots. If the bloom continues to grow, I'll put in some more B A R E B R U S H shots too!
If it makes sense, I'll put together a lineup of small brushes and see if we can come to any kind of relative value conclusion. I hope to put together some newly out of the box experience information for you too.

Today is day three. To review the play to this point I've had most satisfactory experience with a french soap high in karite (25%) and an english hardmilled soap. Today's shaving experience will be with a popular english cream.

full

I used my poke and twist technique to get some Taylor AH! vocado cream and then whipped the water-loaded brush in my I got it for Christmas super mug. It was unbelievable. For those of you frugal with your creams, this brush produces heaps and gobs of lather with a small input of cream. Note that even after 4 passes I still had an overflow of lather.. Il Bambino ROCKS!

Russian Gillette courtesy of SSLStudio. (Thanks Rene!)

Ron, Ron, Ron. Is it not enough that my olfactory senses were finally assuaged this very morn with the arrival of the L'occitane Cade shave soap, that you now tempt me with unadulterated SBAD? Methinks you have held Faust's pinky a bit when you post these pictures. Do I hear a bit of sniggering from the red dust country to my south? Seriously though, Il Bambino looks to be a real winner. This makes a good many of the tiny brushes like the Wee Scot pale in comparison.

I noticed the Pashana cologne. In the Mood isn't it? I would like your take on that scent. Keep those pictures of "Baby" coming.

Regards, Todd

Phog Allen said:
This makes a good many of the tiny brushes like the Wee Scot pale in comparison.

I wouldn't think so......!!:mad5: :mad5:

Look at this little brother of the SR 3118:

proxy.php

Peter

Okay Peter, I acquiesce to your emoiticons. Can't have those burning little faces after me! Say, one thing I'd like to know. It seems there are two versions of the Wee laddy out there. One version is bigger than the other I gather? Which do you have and what are their knot sizes? Which is in prodution now? Thanks.

Regards, Todd

At your service..:wink: :

proxy.php

hight of new WS: 2,5 inches, knot diameter 13 mm
hight of old WS: 2 inches, knot diameter 10 mm

The smallest/oldest Wee Scot is very old and i acquired it on Ebay

Peter

drP said:
At your service..:wink: :

hight of new WS: 2,5 inches, knot diameter 13 mm
hight of old WS: 2 inches, knot diameter 10 mm

The smallest/oldest Wee Scot is very old and i acquired it on Ebay

Peter
Goede ochtend Peter!
It looks like you have a wee wee scot and a wee scot.:001_smile

Phog Allen said:
Ron, Ron, Ron. Is it not enough that my olfactory senses were finally assuaged this very morn with the arrival of the L'occitane Cade shave soap, that you now tempt me with unadulterated SBAD? Methinks you have held Faust's pinky a bit when you post these pictures. Do I hear a bit of sniggering from the red dust country to my south? Seriously though, Il Bambino looks to be a real winner. This makes a good many of the tiny brushes like the Wee Scot pale in comparison.

I noticed the Pashana cologne. In the Mood isn't it? I would like your take on that scent. Keep those pictures of "Baby" coming.

Regards, Todd
The cologne is called "In the Mood;" the aftershave, no name. Pleasant stuff too! My photo doesn't do justice to them.
To the business at hand, Mephastophilis is serving up the final leg of the three Ts Trifecta for me today. Next frame. Oh Rafe, Rafe, come here lad, I have something for you!!:devil:

It is time to close the last leg of the Three Ts test. I have chosen a cream from Truefitt & Hill, Grafton, for this foray. It seemed an instant replay of yesterdays lather explosion. I am astonsihed at how productive this little brush really is!

After 4 passes still loaded:

full

So much luxury from such a little brush. More on performance with some other soaps tomorrow. Maybe even a small brush utility comparison.

Ron thanks for the awesome review of Il Bambino!

Hard to tell from the handle and the size, but is it fairly ergonomic?

Top Bottom