What's new

Silvertip knot?

View attachment 1006305 View attachment 1006306
@Pat Puma These are my two WW. The blue one is a Julie blackwolf bought for me for Christmas from my wife named Julie. The other I bought handle only at Maggard's meetup this year and put a turnnshave timberwolf fan in it myself. I love them both. Until recently I only had synthetic brushes but one of my friends got me to trying some and now I have a Brad Sears gonzo 28mm and a Leonidam 28mm fan. Now I have a oumo hmw shd 26mm fan coming. I must quit. View attachment 1006307 View attachment 1006308
The Brad Sears is crazy soft and I LOVE IT!!
Happy shaves
SMURF

Great collection!! Congrats!!! :a14::a14::a14::a14:

I have not got my oumo hmw silvertip yet but I did get another brush to hold me over till it arrives. This Elite Razor larimar stone 26mm hmw showed up today and it is Gorgeous.
20190817_184511.jpg

Will post my first impression of the knot tomorrow.
Happy shaves
SMURF

Very nice. Bob's handles are beautiful and he gets some good knots, too.

Thank you, I love the handle but wish I would have had the knot set deeper. I got a o-ring and put on it and I think it will be about perfect now. You live and learn I guess.
Happy shaves
SMURF

I have not got my oumo hmw silvertip yet but I did get another brush to hold me over till it arrives. This Elite Razor larimar stone 26mm hmw showed up today and it is Gorgeous.
Will post my first impression of the knot tomorrow.
Happy shaves
SMURF

The knot you have in your brush is with 99.99% certainty from Oumobrush, so you're getting the exact same knot twice.

That will be ok because it is a super soft and luxurious knot and I will set it deeper so it will feel a little different.
Happy shaves
SMURF

The knot you have in your brush is with 99.99% certainty from Oumobrush, so you're getting the exact same knot twice.

The High Mountain White knot set into that handle is not an Oumo knot. They are built to my specifications and are imported directly.

Bob

The High Mountain White knot set into that handle is not an Oumo knot. They are built to my specifications and are imported directly.

Bob
Bob I love the handle, it is the best looking one I have ever had. The knot is great too so soft and luxurious. Thank you.
Jason

I got the oumo silvertip hmw shd on Friday and set it today. I have only done a test lather on my face no shave but it is oh so soft. Will post more thoughts after a few uses. It definitely gels up great.
20190823_232513.jpg
20190823_230142.jpg

It is a very densely packed knot. I think I am going to love it.
Happy shaves
SMURF

From what I've read only true natural (untreated) premium selected grades of badger hair are Plisson's HMW, Simpsons Manchurian, Rooney 2-band Finest. Everything else is regular 3-band silvertip, select softer than regular 2-band, or treated 2-band.

Of course manufacturers won't tell us how the sausage is made. We can only speculate.

If my Zenith 507UL was true Manchurian it would have thick shafts with very soft tips, softer than silvertip. But the tips on mine are equal to Simpson Best grade, with some pleasant scrub to them. They are softer than regular 2-band but not as soft as 3-band silvertip.

If tips gel, that's 100% sign of treated lower grade hair.

Last edited:
The issue is that manchurian is not a defined grade, as with all other definitions of badger hair grades. However, Manchurian usually marks the highest quality of a certain vendor, even if it is not compareable between different vendors.

Top Bottom