What's new

Silverlite Mineral Hone

Gentlemen, I present the oddest razor hone I've picked up to date.

THE NEW No. 7 FOUR STROKE SILVERLITE MINERAL HONES

20220601_173420.jpg

20220601_173436.jpg

20220601_173451.jpg
20220601_173508.jpg
20220601_173520.jpg
20220601_173525.jpg
20220601_173532.jpg

I just can't get over how odd this hone is, and the blantant marketing jargon. Just read that little poem, WONDER HONE is on the way! It looks like the patent was late 1930's but the product sleeve indicates 70,000 barbers have used this hone! Has anyone even seen something like this? It's seems like some sort of industrial/chemical product. I delicately chamfered the edges and it is by far the worse smelling hone I've ever dealt with, pure sulfer/chemical smell.

As for use, true to the lable this hone is so soft you can shave filings off of it. While shaving I took a good razor and did 6 stokes, nothing happened according to my face. 6 more and the razor was significantly dulled. Afterwards I did 20 passes, quite dull now and won't pass hht. 20 more and the same. I see zero effect on the bevel scratches/mirror or chips but likely the razor edge is digging into the hone and dulling. Maybe it just needs some break in period. Next time I'm going to try stropping strokes only? It is about the same hardness as a piece of pine wood.

I just can't imagine it being a Wonder Hone. Well I guess it does make me wonder why someone would patent such a hone in the late 1930s, and and then write a poem for it!!

That is something, and naturally sourced in the Rockies. Four strokes does it. Works on any metal razor. I wonder how it would fare with blades made from gold, silver, copper, zinc, aluminum, or lead.

That is something, and naturally sourced in the Rockies. Four strokes does it. Works on any metal razor. I wonder how it would fare with blades made from gold, silver, copper, zinc, aluminum, or lead.

It likely didn't work for me becuase I didn't do 4 strokes, user error only not the wonder hone fault!

Give that poet-cum-copywriter a medal I say!

'More than 70,000 Barber's know why'. There must be a lot of them out there then. Or perhaps they all got worn to nothing in about ten minutes and/or got thrown away immediately...

The surface shots are really something. Like period illustrations to Jules Verne science-fiction novels. I wonder of all that has to do with the composite having come undone or separated over the years.

The surface sure is a marvel to behold! Very sci-fi. A True hone of the future when compared do those ugly old swatys.

Looks like the label survived the years better than the hone! Never seen that one before

While I don't know what this hone was like 80 years ago, I can say the surfaces seem perfect with some sort of original texture and Im sure no one ever actually used this hone.

I used a sponge to clear the surface before honing but didn't lap it. And now after just a bit of use it has smoothed out some. Maybe I need to use it more. I would say it was in pristine condition, and as the box promises has always been quite soft. I just dont know why anyone would ever actually want such a soft razor hone!

Reading some old barber hone reviews around here I amazingly stumbled on @SliceOfLife 's review for this exact hone unlabeled where he thought it was terrible finisher too. Apparently 6 years ago there were hundreds for sale for $5? I doubt they had the fancy poetic label of mine however! Either way I wish I had seen this review before spending $20. I might actually try to use it as a synthetic coarse nagura some time too as he suggested which crossed my mind as it is a sort of brick of soft abrasive material.

Post in thread 'Barbers Hones Reviews and comparisons.' Barbers Hones Reviews and comparisons. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/barbers-hones-reviews-and-comparisons.437823/post-8427065

Top Bottom