What's new

Silver star compared to Feather blades

Hello guys. I am curious to know what your take is on Silver star I ordered some sample blades since they are sharp. how do they compare would I still have to use light pressure like the Feathers. What would the range of smoothness be? Anyway guys thank you soo much for taking the time to read this.

Interesting question. Silver Stars fly under the radar here, despite having decades of production. I never would have heard of them had not a pack been included in a sampler I bought early on. I find them to be very sharp, close to Feathers, but perhaps slightly less so. SS is one of my favorite blades for sharpness and smoothness.

I use SS regularly, and get three excellent shaves per blade. I could stretch that to four, but it takes extra passes to get the shave I want. On the other hand, I only get two excellent shaves per Feather blade, with a third day requiring extra passes. For me, SS hold their edge better than Feathers.

I've never tried Silver Star, but from what I've read they're made at the Lord factory in Egypt, which IMHO means that by definition, they're good blades
At a guess, I think they're probably on a par with another "below the radar" Lord blade - Racer Super Class Platinum

I've tried Lord Super Stainless, Lord Platinum Class, Racer Super Stainless, Racer Super Class Platinum, Big Ben Super Stainless, Rainbow Super Stainless and Shark Super Stainless.

IMHO
Racer Super Class Platinum are my favourites and I can get 4 good shaves per blade, a 5th shave is possible, but it's not much fun, they're also less than €9/100 on eBay
http://www.ebay.es/itm/100-Racer-Su...052576?hash=item1a04c338a0:g:1IcAAOSwu4BV1lkR
proxy.php

I can only get 3 good shaves per blade from the rest that I tried, but Shark Super Stainless are my 2nd favourite Lord blades, mainly because they're readily available than the rest and are reasonably priced, but I'd rather spend a little more for Racer Super Class Platinum

Shave 1 was great for me. It is a sharp blade thats for sure.
:w00t: What have you done to me Dan?

I usually only ever buy small quantities of blades, and even that's after I've checked them out.

Now, I've just purchased 200 Silver Stars! :facep:
$Silver-Star.jpg
I checked eBay and found this (Connaught Shaving). Their lowest quantity is 10 blades for £2.79. Too expensive for a shot in the dark I thought.

Anyway, I clicked through their dropdown list just out of interest... and 200 were £9.99! (And being in the UK the shipping's free for me.) So, obviously I had to have them. I'll report back after my first shave (next week sometime I guess).

:w00t: What have you done to me Dan?

I usually only ever buy small quantities of blades, and even that's after I've checked them out.

Now, I've just purchased 200 Silver Stars! :facep:
View attachment 700147
I checked eBay and found this (Connaught Shaving). Their lowest quantity is 10 blades for £2.79. Too expensive for a shot in the dark I thought.

Anyway, I clicked through their dropdown list just out of interest... and 200 were £9.99! (And being in the UK the shipping's free for me.) So, obviously I had to have them. I'll report back after my first shave (next week sometime I guess).

Haha YMMV I like them so far and they are cheap.

I just ordered 100 of these Silver Star ss off of EBay from, ,,
a Vendor in India that I often buy from, @ $8. USD, I Just, ,
couldn't resist, and since I've heard such good things about, ,
Lord blades, I figured the Price was just right for me to try..
these out..

2nd shave when great also. Just to give some of you a heads up that bought the blades that they are alittle rough like all extremely sharp blades are so just be careful. I'll let you all know how the 3rd shave goes on monday. Im not going to shave until then.

My Silver Stars landed much earlier than expected, so I've just had my first Silver Star shave.

View attachment 700633

Excellent! I'll keep the blade in and see how much mileage I get now.

Thank you for pointing me to the Silver Star [MENTION=113055]Shaver_dan[/MENTION] :thumbup:.

My Silver Stars landed much earlier than expected, so I've just had my first Silver Star shave.

View attachment 700633

Excellent! I'll keep the blade in and see how much mileage I get now.

Thank you for pointing me to the Silver Star [MENTION=113055]Shaver_dan[/MENTION] :thumbup:.

Hey no problem they are sharp and get the job done.

day 3: First, sencond and third pass were great and clean up pass was a little slow. definitely a keeper. love this blade. I decided to keep the circle beard.

IMHO, nothing compares to Feather, which is in a league by itself.
I've never heard of Silver Star but you have piqued my interest.

I'll be watching this thread and I'll be on the lookout for SilverStar blades.
If they're as good as you say, paying £9.99 for 200, even with shipping from UK, would be quite a bargain.

IMHO, nothing compares to Feather, which is in a league by itself.
I've never heard of Silver Star but you have piqued my interest.

I'll be watching this thread and I'll be on the lookout for SilverStar blades.
If they're as good as you say, paying £9.99 for 200, even with shipping from UK, would be quite a bargain.

I agree. Feather is the sharpest. This blade is up there though. I can testify that this blade will give you a close shave. I love this blade.

Top Bottom