What's new

Silver star compared to Feather blades

Finally got around to trying out these Silver Star Blades, , to get a true evaluation I tried them out,,on 4 then again on 5 days of growth Every Strand of my hair is thick and Wirely.....There was No Drag or Tugging whatsoever No irritation no Burn...to me the Silver Star is a true,,,TOP SHELF BLADE, , just as Sharp as Fethers and not nearly as harsh. ..So my vote goes to Silver Star...As always YMMV

Finally got around to trying out these Silver Star Blades, , to get a true evaluation I tried them out,,on 4 then again on 5 days of growth Every Strand of my hair is thick and Wirely.....There was No Drag or Tugging whatsoever No irritation no Burn...to me the Silver Star is a true,,,TOP SHELF BLADE, , just as Sharp as Fethers and not nearly as harsh. ..So my vote goes to Silver Star...As always YMMV

Another convert!:thumbup1:

I've not tried a Feather, so I can't compare it to that but I didn't find the Silver Star to be as sharp as the sharpest blades I have used which are the Russian Gillette 7OC Yellows and Greens but I found the Silver Star plenty sharp enough!

The Silver Star so far is my favourite blade for 4-5 days of growth at one time. I might pick up a 100 pack at a later time.

Back on November 29 last year I posted this:

... So, my 12 shaves with the Silver Star have given me 25 days worth of shaves. I've loaded the Phoenix with a new Silver Star and am expecting a much better count next time round. ...

I had a small break with other razors and blades. I restarted my Silver Star journey with blade #2 in my Phoenix Bakelite on December 17 last year.

Today's shave was #24 (giving me 36 days worth of shaves). And the magic Silver Star blade doesn't feel like it's going to stop giving me great shaves any time soon. (I'll report back once it's stopped giving me great shaves.)

View attachment 718153 :001_wub:

Are these blades definitely made by Lord? The eBay vendor has some mixed lots of blades which they say are made in India and they include the Silver Stars.

update: I see the actual listing also says:

SILVER STAR.
Country of Origin: EGYPT. IMPORTED

as well as:

��
100% Original Product from Gillette India Limited.

So these are truly a global product...

They must be a Lord product packaged for the Indian market.

Last edited:
Actually, Silver Star is owned by SOTRACO, located in Port Said Egypt.

They are affiliated with Lord of Alexandria, Egypt. Both Lord and SOTRACO are owned by
Soliman Holding Company. There is a close relationship between Lord and SOTRACO. Other brands produced by SOTRACO are Shark and ASCO. (SOTRACO is located in the El Shark district of Port Said). Maybe others. In their marketing Lord will often claim them as their razor blades. The exact relationship between the two companies are vague but I dont believe they are one company.

Both my Silver Star and Sharp Blades say SOTRACO, Port Said Egypt on the packaging

Last edited:
Reactions: ADP
Thank you for the information @homh. :thumbup1: Here's a pic just to confirm that:
$Silver-Star-SOTRACO_2017-01-25.jpg

I guess SOTRACO is short for SOliman TRAding COmpany.

Last edited:
I restarted my Silver Star journey with blade #2 in my Phoenix Bakelite on December 17 last year.

Today's shave was #24 (giving me 36 days worth of shaves). And the magic Silver Star blade doesn't feel like it's going to stop giving me great shaves any time soon. (I'll report back once it's stopped giving me great shaves.)
I've just had my final shave, #29, with my second Silver Star blade. All shaves through #28 were great. Number 29 went downhill rapidly, but I still managed to get a BBS out of it.

View attachment 719310

I'm a little disappointed but I guess 28 (or four weeks worth for a daily shaver) isn't really that bad. If I don't improve on the 28 great shaves score, it means that the 198 blades I have left will last me over 15 years if I shave daily.
Not bad I guess. :laugh:

Yes. Check out the info at TryABlade here. I got mine from Connaght in the UK. Adam @adamchur got his from India.

Are these blades definitely made by Lord? The eBay vendor has some mixed lots of blades which they say are made in India and they include the Silver Stars.

update: I see the actual listing also says:

SILVER STAR.
Country of Origin: EGYPT. IMPORTED

as well as:

��
100% Original Product from Gillette India Limited.

So these are truly a global product...

They must be a Lord product packaged for the Indian market.

The description looks like this seller's ad http://www.ebay.es/usr/universal_exports2020?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754

I bought my Silver Star blades from him - I think he's a good seller
He also tossed in an Indian made ballpen, it probably only cost him a few pennies, but it's the thought that counts, and besides, it's a pen, and it writes - happy days :lol:

They are affiliated with Lord of Alexandria, Egypt. Both Lord and SOTRACO are owned by
Soliman Holding Company. There is a close relationship between Lord and SOTRACO. Other brands produced by SOTRACO are Shark and ASCO. (SOTRACO is located in the El Shark district of Port Said). Maybe others. In their marketing Lord will often claim them as their razor blades. The exact relationship between the two companies are vague but I dont believe they are one company.

Both my Silver Star and Sharp Blades say SOTRACO, Port Said Egypt on the packaging

Rainbow and Crown are also SOTRACO products, and are packaged in the same white trifold sleeve. I like and use these as well, but SS are slightly better, IMO.

I can't seem to get on with Feather blades but since I just got a Wilkinson "Sticky', which is considered a very mild efficient razor, I thought I would give them another go to get rid of my remaining stock. They still seem very sharp and rough to me and usually end up with at least one weeper.

Today I swapped the Feather out for my first Silver Star. Wow, sharp and smooth! I can't vouch for the longevity (some good reports in this thread) but they wont have to go far to beat the Feather which seems past it after a couple of shaves.

I will watch the grudge match with interest and if they loose to the Personna I will definitely have to try some of them!

Many thanks indeed - I don't know I could not see these, as I had that seller but it kept showing no items.

Anyway, I'm very grateful to you for posting the links, much appreciated. I take it you yourself are a fan of these blades?

I got mine from this seller in India - I found him to be very helpful and reliable
universal_exports2020 | eBay

Take your pick from these links to his ads........................................

Hope this helps

Many thanks indeed - I don't know I could not see these, as I had that seller but it kept showing no items.

Anyway, I'm very grateful to you for posting the links, much appreciated. I take it you yourself are a fan of these blades?

Before ordering them from India, I'd say give Connaught Shaving an email as they had Silver Star blades in stock and were 200 for £10 on a popular auction site and a bit more on their website (oddly enough)

Any time - Silver Star are one of my favourite blades

I bought Silver Star after reading all the hype on this thread, I kept an open mind, but was prepared for the worst...
As it turned out I was pleasantly surprised with Silver Star - I'd fully expected them to be rebranded Shark, Big Ben or Lord blades, which are ok in themselves as daily beaters, but nothing special
When I got a 4th good shave from a blade, I knew they were on a par with another favourite of mine from Lord - the Racer Super Class Platinum
IMHO - Silver Star are very similar, but at the crazy prices the seller offers them for, they're better value

Thank you for that.

I like shark blades, used an Asco blade yesterday (and liked it) and was considering getting some silver stars. This thread may have convinced me.

Top Bottom