What's new

Silver Star blades

I see many people praising these blades and I wonder how good are they. Can you compare them to Polsilver, BIC Chrome Platinum and Nacet just to get an idea if they are similar or not.

Depends on the razor, but I would say they are most similar to the Russian Gillette blade family. Maybe somewhere between Astra SS and 7 O'clock Yellow. Pretty good longevity, as well, for me they last six or seven shaves. For $8/100, they are a very good value.

For me they are extremely good blades. Not as good as Polsilvers to me, but those may be my favorite blades. I don't get along with Nacets so I actually place Silver Stars above them. I like Bics and Silver Stars about the same.

I find them a great mix of sharpness, smoothness, and cost. There are sharper blades, there are smoother blades, and there are cheaper blades but not many are all three.

For sure a polorizing blade, some love them others not so much. I happen to be in the love category. I get better results with SS than GSB, persona Israeli reds or Feathers. The only blades that surpass the silver stars for me are vintage blades from the 70s-90s. Like others have pointed out, SS blades are as YMMV as it gets IMO.

The Silver Star is my #2 blade behind the Shark S/C because to me they are very comparable in use. I don't push either blades usefulness and on average only use them for 4-5 shaves per blade. I have recently been trying a tuck on Bic Platinum blades because of all the rave reviews and although I've only used 3 of the 5 blades so far my consensus is the Bic is only good for 1 shave as anything beyond that is riddled in weepers, tugging, and irritation for me. I do plan to try the last 2 blades I have on hand but not really in a hurry to do so!!

Top Bottom