What's new

Silver Blues - "New" vs. "Old"?

Hi folks,

I am restocking my favorite blades and have run into an issue I'm hoping the community can help me solve. Without getting too far into the weeds, here is the situation: I've finally depleted my original stock of blades purchased in my early days of wet shaving. It's taken about ten years to get through that first overzealous blade ordering binge!

Over time, I identified my favorites (Gillette Platinum, Silver Blues, Astra SP, and 7o'clock sharp edge) and want to buy a new supply of them. The problem is, when I reordered a new batch of the Gillette Platinums, they were nothing like the ones I had purchased years ago. They ripped up my face something fierce even though I was using the same razor (EJ DE89) and same cream (Proraso green). I tried blades from different tucks and had the same problem. I figured something changed with "the formula" or with the quality control.

So I visited the Razor Blade Club site to order the other blades on my short list only to discover that it's not so simple. For instance, the GSBs now come in "new" and "old" versions and the Astras come in "ink marked" or "lazer etched" versions. The prices differ too, so I'm assuming it's more than a packaging change. I want to avoid the problem I ran into with the Gillette Platinums.

So what is a once-in-a-decade blade buyer to do? I'd like to order the blades that will deliver the performance I enjoyed, but which one version is the right one? I've perused the B&B forums to try to find out if the differences are indeed a change in manufacturing specs or if the difference is merely in packaging. I was particularly surprised to not find any discussion of the old and new GSBs since they are so popular here. Of course it's entirely possible I missed it -- but trust me, I looked hard before starting this thread.

Anybody have any insights to offer? I figure if this community doesn't know, than nobody will :)

-Sully

Regardless of what anyone says, you will simply have to try out whatever blades you're interested in. Surely, you've read enough here to know by now that one person's best ever blade is another's garbage. Everything posted here is opinion. Whether it ends up agreeing with your own opinion, you can only find out by personally testing whatever product you're interested in.

Regardless of what anyone says, you will simply have to try out whatever blades you're interested in. Surely, you've read enough here to know by now that one person's best ever blade is another's garbage. Everything posted here is opinion. Whether it ends up agreeing with your own opinion, you can only find out by personally testing whatever product you're interested in.

Hey thanks for the quick response @CCS. I hear you that one can't really know a piece of kit until you've tried it yourself. But in this case I already know what works for me. The question I'm asking (and my apologies if my original post was muddled) is if anyone out there has information about, or experience with, the different versions of these particular blades. Is there a functional difference between them? It just strikes me as odd that there would be a price difference and a branding distinction without there being some qualitative difference between the versions.

Since I've used these blades in the past, and liked them, I want to increase my odds that the set of 100 I buy will be the version I'm after.

Cheers, and thanks again for weighing in.

-Sully

I have some experience with the old and new Silver Blues. For me, the old blades are far superior. The new ones drag and I can't get a bloodless shave from them, at all. The old blades were one of my favorite blades and amongst my smoothest performers. The new ones, I won't even shave with them any more. But my son seems to love them.

What's really interesting is that I've heard many comments on this forum that the performance of the two versions is absolutely identical. For me, they're obviously not the same. That means CCS is completely right. You'll have to try the blades for yourself to know if they're different for you or if they perform the same. If you know you like the old ones, and you want to increase your odds of getting the same performance, buy the old ones. They're not making them anymore, which is why the price is higher.

Below is the response I received today from the good folks at the Razor Blade Club about the Astras and GSBs. I guess this confirms that the blades are in fact different -- they're "no longer made" suggests it's more than just a new package/label. If they were really the same blade, there'd be no reason for charging more for the old ones, right?? I doubt people would pay a premium for the O.G. packaging, but what do I know :)

Thanks to those who weighed in -- and especially to @Moorhsum for the very kind offer! Every time I log on to this site, I'm impressed by the plain old goodness of you folks:a14:

-Sully

Hi Richard,
let me clarify that Astra Laser Marking and Gillette Silver Blue Old version are no longer made. They were made by P&G in the past but they are no longer made. Since they are no longer made and we cannot buy them anymore they are more expensive.
Now coming to your question P&G says that the blades are the same. However they are done by different machines and many wet shavers reported that they are different.

Have a nice day

Kindest regards,
the Razor Blades Club team

Blades are weird...there is consensus on very few of them.
Ive got a stash of 50 old GSBs and I never reach for them
as I never really enjoyed the shave. I must revisit and
give them another shot.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have both new and old versions of the GSB and both feel the same IMO. If you like the Gillette platinum I use the 7 oClock SP (black) from India might be a good alternative and they are about as smooth as my GSB but there is a slight difference between the 2 and its hard to explain the difference but the GSB ever so slightly smoother IMO. Two excellent blades.

Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

lasta

Blade Biter
Buy the same blades long enough and you'll realize that there is such a thing as bad batches.

If someone doesn't like one you like, it's not always YMMV!

I've been lucky with GSBs.

Plats? One good, one bad.

The Russian made blades seem to be better than the Indian made plates. Given the embargo of Russian goods, I would try to check the place of Origin, manufacturing place. You might’ve got some Indian made blades that were relabeled silver blue’s.

I have both new and old versions of the GSB and both feel the same IMO. If you like the Gillette platinum I use the 7 oClock SP (black) from India might be a good alternative and they are about as smooth as my GSB but there is a slight difference between the 2 and its hard to explain the difference but the GSB ever so slightly smoother IMO. Two excellent blades.

View attachment 1564378
Have some great shaves!
That's a cool line-up. I haven't used all of them, but I agree with your top two DEs. I also liked the 7o'clock SPs but it's been awhile. Ever try the 7 o'clock yellow? I'd be curious where you'd put them in your line-up.
-Sully

Ok so what constitutes old and new? I have ones from around 2013 and the newest ones I bought look the same expect they have date codes on the box like all the Russian Gillette blades do now. I haven't tried them yet.
When did they stop making the "old" ones.
All I have is ones from back then and new ones with fmfate code.
I did notice that the price is far less now than they used to be. I paid between $20-$25 each 100 I bought back then and noticed they got a lot cheaper

I’m wondering if they’re consolidating portions of the manufacturing.

received some 7 o clock yellows recently and had a couple of blades that flat out sucked in my pre and post war USA techs. Not the slightly shorter lasting but consistent top tier blade It used to be.

I’ll try again in another razor in time (been a while since I used them in techs) but I’m concerned.

and happy I bought a couple thousand Polsilvers a decade ago.

Top Bottom