What's new

Silly latherbowl - bad purchase

Hi

So until a couple of weeks ago I made due with a ceramic cerealbowl to bat up my soap. Until I saw this beautiful olivewood "lather bowl..."

Unfortunalty I feel that I've made a very bad purchase. The bowl is simply too small to lather up any soap.

It's 10 cm in diameter and about 4,5 cm high.
It does come with a lid, that Just sits on top of the bowl.

Since it cost me a fair penny (43 euro's) I figure it would be stupid to Just fill it with coins or used/unused razor blades. So I'm now wondering whether I would be able to use this bowl to store my soap, instead of for instance the blant proraso White standard container?
Could this work or would the soap dry out/go bad.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210901_213837.jpg
    Screenshot_20210901_213837.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 31
Hi

So until a couple of weeks ago I made due with a ceramic cerealbowl to bat up my soap. Until I saw this beautiful olivewood "lather bowl..."

Unfortunalty I feel that I've made a very bad purchase. The bowl is simply too small to lather up any soap.

It's 10 cm in diameter and about 4,5 cm high.
It does come with a lid, that Just sits on top of the bowl.

Since it cost me a fair penny (43 euro's) I figure it would be stupid to Just fill it with coins or used/unused razor blades. So I'm now wondering whether I would be able to use this bowl to store my soap, instead of for instance the blant proraso White standard container?
Could this work or would the soap dry out/go bad.

Thanks!

first, welcome to B&B, Sir Shaun asleep!!

and that's a beauty of a soap bowl!
olive wood!
it will be great for storing and lathering just about any hard soap puck.
simply trim if necessary and mold any trimmings with the soap.
and 10cm dia is far more than enough area to lather up nicely.
i have travel-sized soap tins 6cm dia that lather great with small to average-sized brushes.

travel kit haslinger schafmilch stirling gatlinburg muehle feather cartridge aqua velva ice bl...jpg

good size, indeed.
i've never had a problem lathering on top of the soap in bowls that size or even smaller.
but YMMV.
Loading is fine, i.e. getting a soap paste on the brush to start lathering with. That's what this bowl is best for, IMHO.

Building lather can be done in another bowl, or directly on the face. The problem with building lather on the puck is you can't very well control the ratio of soap: water since new soap is constantly being incorporated into the lather. The tendency will be to overload soap unless you are a ninja master.

Thanks guys, like most of you Said I believe I was mislead by the sellers' title and it's probably more of a soapbox than a lather bowl.
Simply dont have enough room, it's mostly the height that restricts me from whipping up the soap nicely but will use it as soap container then.

Just a bit worried, everyone here is talking a bout real soappucks. All of my soaps are more 'croap' - like. Proraso White, stirling Dunshire and PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum. Wondering if croaps won't dry out as apposed to pucks?

I'm guessing real scented soaps would lose the scent if placed in a bowl like this?

43 Euros. 😳 I think you may have been robbed!

Next time, try a Connaught Shaving hand-turned dark oak bowl. It's exactly the same size as your bowl, but it only costs £7.50 (~$10 USD). I'm using one for a puck of Tabac. As noted by others, it's the right size for loading (not so much for lathering).

Some photos:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Note: It's slightly too shallow for a Tabac puck. I shaved 1/8" off the bottom of the puck (to preserve the Tabac logo 😁 ) and squashed the shavings around the sides. The lid fits without touching the top of the soap.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It is a very nice soap dish/container. Probably poorly described by the seller. A lovely soap container all the same.

It is a pretty soap bowl a bit steeply priced
You can use it with a chunk of soap inside as storage and loading bowl to lather on your face even with a bigger brush.
for building lather so a more lather bowl you want something bigger preferably with some structure inside to agitate even more. Think of 12cm.
Still a very nice soap container which should last very long.

Just a bit worried, everyone here is talking a bout real soappucks. All of my soaps are more 'croap' - like. Proraso White, stirling Dunshire and PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum. Wondering if croaps won't dry out as apposed to pucks?

I'm guessing real scented soaps would lose the scent if placed in a bowl like this?
If you use your soap regularly it will get a little shot of moisture each time. If there is any free water, pour it off and leave the soap container open for a few hours to dry. Just a little air circulation is good for the soap. It won't hurt Proraso to lose a little water, it will just develop a bit harder surface. Loss of scent will be very gradual as long as you keep the lid on the container.

Wow, less than one hour after my review the webshop has changed the listing of this item.
They've added "beware this bowl is shallow and might not be suited to bat up your lather."

Good on them, I'm still stuck with it but Badger & Blade helped potential customers nonetheless. :thumbup:

Wow, less than one hour after my review the webshop has changed the listing of this item.
They've added "beware this bowl is shallow and might not be suited to bat up your lather."

Good on them, I'm still stuck with it but Badger & Blade helped potential customers nonetheless. :thumbup:
If they would label this as a "Shave Soap Bowl" instead of a "Lather Bowl" customers would not get confused. If I were selling these, I would focus on the positive: "These beautiful wood bowls are perfect for storing and displaying your shaving soaps, etc."

:confused1

The olive wood bowl is a beautiful "soap bowl" from which a brush can easily be loaded. I have several smaller soap containers which I use that are similar to the olive wood container. I use another bowl to lather or face lather. IMHO, all croaps and creams will eventually dry out if left stored for several years. I have several TOBS, Castle Forbes and AOS creams which are in their original screw top containers, which have become hard. These are 3 to 4 years old, and were never used. I still use them as soaps (not soft creams), and have not noticed any poor performance issues. Strangely, the 4 year old creams in tubes (AOS, Godrej) are still squeezable into a bowl, and act like soft creams. All have been kept at 70-72 degrees F. I cannot explain why tube cream stays softer than container cream. Does anyone else have any feedback on this issue?

The olive wood bowl is a beautiful "soap bowl" from which a brush can easily be loaded. I have several smaller soap containers which I use that are similar to the olive wood container. I use another bowl to lather or face lather. IMHO, all croaps and creams will eventually dry out if left stored for several years. I have several TOBS, Castle Forbes and AOS creams which are in their original screw top containers, which have become hard. These are 3 to 4 years old, and were never used. I still use them as soaps (not soft creams), and have not noticed any poor performance issues. Strangely, the 4 year old creams in tubes (AOS, Godrej) are still squeezable into a bowl, and act like soft creams. All have been kept at 70-72 degrees F. I cannot explain why tube cream stays softer than container cream. Does anyone else have any feedback on this issue?
Many shaving creams use a higher percentage of potassium salts as compared with sodium salts. This gives them a softer consistency. They may also use more liquid ingredients to help them flow better, for example, glycerin.

Top Bottom