What's new

Silly DE Question

Highly subjective as it depends on many variants such as beard type,blade brand and so on...
I'd say use it until it feels comfortable, maybe the average would be 4 to 5 shaves.

Depends on the person. Different number of passes per shave, sensitivity of skin, coarseness of hair, etc

As soon as I get any kind of negative feedback from the blade: tugging, rough feeling, etc. However, even with a blade that is performing well, I will toss it after 3 shaves and not try to press my luck.

I can usually get 4 or 5 shaves from a good quality DE blade like a Feather. I turn it over after three shaves, get a pretty nice fourth, and can usually get a decent fifth shave out of it. Once in a while I'll try squeeze out a sixth, but usually end up regretting it. It's very important to clean any soap scum and whisker off the blade after each shave - the debris will cause it to deteriorate very quickly.

When you consider the cost of good quality razors, shaving creams, brushes, and lotions, even the best DE blades are the cheapest part of the game. The blade has to be sharp! Change it as soon as you think you need to - even in mid-shave if necessary. It's not worth irritating your skin by using one that's worn and dull.

When they look like this, it's definitely time for a change...

$2011-05-24-1.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a mild beard and most blades last me a week shaving every day. If it doesn't feel sharp it's time to change, simple as that.

Scott

Hi,

I shave every day using two razors. My blades go for 6 or 7 shaves.

I put a new blade in the second razor twice a week, so the new one works with less to cut as it breaks in, then moves to the first razor after it has broken in and is cutting at its best. I have always found that a blade works best after 3 shaves, then tapers off after 6. It has never mattered which brand of blade for the past 38 years. They all get better, then taper off.

The 6 or 7 shaves on a blade depends on if I skip a day on the weekend or not. I change the blades on Monday and Thursday. You know, no skipping days during the work week, but sometimes I skip a day on the weekend.

Stan

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I used to use a blade just one time. Then I got to where I would change it after it became uncomfortable...still usually only 2 shaves.

I usually change mine after 4 shaves. I haven't tried to push it any further, though I feel confident I can get 5 or 6 days out of one.

Keep using it until it doesn't feel sharp anymore. How long this will be depends on a lot of factors..the blade itself, your technique (shallow vs steep blade angle), the razor head geometry, beard prep, etc. I get at least 8-10 shaves (and sometimes many more) out of a Feather, but I use a very shallow blade angle, and that helps improve blade life. I don't stop using it until it doesn't feel sharp, and cut hair easily. Most folks seem to get 3-5 shaves from a blade.

As soon as I get any kind of negative feedback from the blade: tugging, rough feeling, etc.
+1 - Even if you notice problems mid-shave, change it right away. Usually I change my blades on Sunday or Monday regardless of how the blade is doing and mid-week if needed.

It depends upon your beard and the blade. I get two shaves with a Feather and up to six with a Personna Med or Lab.

I shave every other day and barely ever on weekends unless I'm seeing the folks and I get 4 good shaves from a Feather DE. I always change after 5 regardless.

For myself, somewhere around 2-3 for Astra SP or Rapira Platinum Lux. I have a very thick coarse beard, so thats my problem.

As soon as I get any kind of negative feedback from the blade: tugging, rough feeling, etc. However, even with a blade that is performing well, I will toss it after 3 shaves and not try to press my luck.

Ditto but I push it a little further if things are going well. So anywhere between 1 to 7 shaves.

I'm still learning so I change it when I want to try a different brand.

Haven't run one to failure or discomfort yet. Well, more discomfort than initially in the case of a couple brands, I suppose.

Top Bottom