What's new

SilentTuba’s Straight Razor Journal

I recommend you mix it up, but stick with half to full hollow carbon steel for a while. There's nice vintage, beater vintage, GD and similar quality new razors, and new middle tier (Dovo Bismarck, for instance). When you have at least one of each category you should be able to articulate a preference. But just in case, keep going like that until you have at least a dozen of each category, just to be sure.

Haha....I'm not the collector type, so I think 3 razors *total* is probably where I'll end up. That doesn't mean I won't be open to upgrading in the future, but it'll definitely be a "new razor in, old razor out" kind of thing.

I do like the idea of a vintage razor (my DE is a Gillette NEW), and it doesn't have to be pretty. Seems like they can be had pretty easily in the $50-$70 range, which is probably as much as I'm comfortable spending on a razor.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
So, based on that, my doing 30 laps before and after each shave is fine? The razor is getting 60 laps between shaves this way...I think I started doing it this way so that I'd get more "reps" at stropping, if that makes sense? Basically practicing it twice a day, instead of once.
On the face of it, it should be adequate, I think maybe probably. YMMV.

Shaved Friday, and again today; took Saturday off. That’s 7 shaves now, and the only noteworthy thing was the Nick I gave myself today; just caught the end of the blade on a mole. Nothing big deal, and I’ve I’m honest I’ve done it enough times with the DE (and even with carts) that you’d think I’d know to be careful around that spot. Nothing the stultifying pencil couldn’t handle.

I am really starting to enjoy using the straight; it’s more engaging that the DE is, and it’s just a moment in my day when I don’t have to worry or think about anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom