What's new

SilentTuba’s Straight Razor Journal

Hi all!

So, first a little background. I’ve been DE shaving since 2009, and in 2014, I traded a SuperSpeed I wasn’t using for a Gold Dollar straight and a Whipped Dog Poor Man’s Strop. I used it a few times, nicked the hell out of the strip, and gave up on it. The straight sat In a drawer for 6 years, unused. The strip eventually got tossed away, because it was so nicked and cut up.
I decided a few weeks ago to give it another shot. I’m working from home for at least a few more months, which means I have a little more time on my hands, to give the straight razor another go. So, thanks to a fellow B&B member who honed my razor up for me (thanks global_dev!), and a new Poor Man’s Strop, today was my first straight razor shave in six years!

it had been long enough, and I’d had so little experience, I basically approached this like a complete beginner, and had low expectations. I did two passes: one WTG, and one XTG, which is exactly what I do with my DE. Some things I noticed:

1.) I was experiencing the blade dragging a little on my first pass. I chalk this up primarily to an under-hydrated lather; slick enough for DE and slick enough for the straight are not the same thing, and I need to remember that. I wet my face between passes and when I re-lathered, I could tell that helped. The second pass was better.
2.) Six additional years of DE shaving experience made me more confident this time around, and made this go much faster than I remember. The whole process, including a shower beforehand, took about 40 minutes. Longer than the DE takes me, but not too bad.
3.) in some spots, the results are equal to what I get with a DE, which actually surprised me for a first shave! In other areas it’s not quite as good, but still a decent shave. This is encouraging, as I’m bound to improve.
4.) With the DE, my XTG pass starts from the ears and goes inward, ok both cheeks. I could not find a way to feel comfortable doing that with the SR, so instead I went from my cheeks outward towards my ear. I don’t know if this is how everyone else does it, but it seemed to work for me.

After the shave, I did 30 very slow laps on the strop, ready to go tomorrow or Monday (I usually shave every other day). I’m planning to stick with the SR at least through the end of the year, and then we’ll see from there.

Hi all!

So, first a little background. I’ve been DE shaving since 2009, and in 2014, I traded a SuperSpeed I wasn’t using for a Gold Dollar straight and a Whipped Dog Poor Man’s Strop. I used it a few times, nicked the hell out of the strip, and gave up on it. The straight sat In a drawer for 6 years, unused. The strip eventually got tossed away, because it was so nicked and cut up.
I decided a few weeks ago to give it another shot. I’m working from home for at least a few more months, which means I have a little more time on my hands, to give the straight razor another go. So, thanks to a fellow B&B member who honed my razor up for me (thanks global_dev!), and a new Poor Man’s Strop, today was my first straight razor shave in six years!

it had been long enough, and I’d had so little experience, I basically approached this like a complete beginner, and had low expectations. I did two passes: one WTG, and one XTG, which is exactly what I do with my DE. Some things I noticed:

1.) I was experiencing the blade dragging a little on my first pass. I chalk this up primarily to an under-hydrated lather; slick enough for DE and slick enough for the straight are not the same thing, and I need to remember that. I wet my face between passes and when I re-lathered, I could tell that helped. The second pass was better.
2.) Six additional years of DE shaving experience made me more confident this time around, and made this go much faster than I remember. The whole process, including a shower beforehand, took about 40 minutes. Longer than the DE takes me, but not too bad.
3.) in some spots, the results are equal to what I get with a DE, which actually surprised me for a first shave! In other areas it’s not quite as good, but still a decent shave. This is encouraging, as I’m bound to improve.
4.) With the DE, my XTG pass starts from the ears and goes inward, ok both cheeks. I could not find a way to feel comfortable doing that with the SR, so instead I went from my cheeks outward towards my ear. I don’t know if this is how everyone else does it, but it seemed to work for me.

After the shave, I did 30 very slow laps on the strop, ready to go tomorrow or Monday (I usually shave every other day). I’m planning to stick with the SR at least through the end of the year, and then we’ll see from there.
Another bass clefer here!

I think you learn a lot about shaving using a straight. It teaches you about angles and pressure. On the odd occasion when I use my DE I sometimes find myself using the same skin-stretching techniques without thinking about it.

Definitely agree about the importance of slickness. Tabac is my go-to soap for straights. Or Arko. I take my time to mix in as much water as I can.

I do the same cheek-to-ear XTG pass. I never bother with ATG. That's partly because I prefer a milder edge. Much more forgiving of clumsy technique but not so good for ATG.

Youtube vids were a big help when I was starting out. It's all about skin-stretching. Once you figure that out it gets much easier. Everybody's face & skin are different so you may need to adapt & experiment a bit.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Not tuba but french horn here.

@SilentTuba, as you have noticed, a lather for DE shaving is not the best for SR shaving. When starting I found a much wetter lather was best for SR shaving. As my technique improved, I tended towards a drier lather - about halfway between my DE lathers and my initial wet SR lathers.

Don't believe everything you see on YouTube. Flatten your blade angle to ½ to a whole spine thickness from the skin, not the 30° that many state on YouTube.

When shaving difficult areas, try reducing the blade angle - not increasing it like you might do with a DE.

The main thing is to be persistent, concentrate and learn something new from each SR shave.

BTW, welcome back to the gentlemanly art of SR shaving.

Reactions: abj
Shave #2 today. Lathered up some Tabac, and made sure that it was good and slick before I started, and did 30 laps on the leather strop (painfully slow going for me, hopefully I’ll get the hang of it soon). First pass, WTG, was really quite good. I realized after talking to global_dev yesterday that I might need to put a touch more power behind the stroke to really make sure it’s nice and smooth, and that, combined with the slick lather, reads did the trick. No drag, and I was able to get through the pass with careful confidence, moving smoothly, with no hint of irritation. Great stuff!

My second pass, XTG, wasn’t quite as good. I think I was letting my blade angle get a little too steep, especially on my lower cheeks, and gave myself a little bit of irritation. Nothing too bad (my post-shave splash of Clubman didn’t punish me too much), but it was less comfortable that I’d like. Next time I’ll be more careful.

Shave 3 today, lathered up with Cella. Two WTG passes, a DFS, and no irritation! Even with a DE, I only aim for a DFS, because I can’t go BBS on my neck/under my chin without causing massive irritation, and even weepers. I’d say today’s shave is about on or with my typical DE shave, which is awesome! I’m really surprised to be getting such positive results this quickly. I think I’m going to take tomorrow off, and see how I do with some longer growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shave no. 4 today, on two days growth. Getting better at stropping. Did two WTG passes, and nothing really to report. Shave went well, no irritation, though I probably couldn’t done a better job on my neck. Overall a good solid shave. I’ll stick with the two WTG passes for a while, before I decide to try another XTG pass.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I don't have the self control to go for two days without shaving. I enjoy SR shaving too much.

You are going well. Never rush to develop your SR shaving technique. It will come to you with experience.

I do not go exactly WTG as my hair grows weird directions that are hard to get a SR around on my neck. Have a bearb ATM so neck is all I shave. Anyway, it is mostly WTG and 1 or 2 passes. XTG or ATG gets closer perhaps but marginally. The WTG passes are more than acceptable and less chance of irritation. For me anyway. Glad it is going well for you.

So I’m curious, how many laps is a good amount? I’ve kind of settled on doing 30 laps on the strop before and after each shave, a number I arrived at completely arbitrarily.
Shave No. 5 today was more of the same. Two WTG passes, no nicks, no irritation. Just a good shave. Even the wife is noticing the results, which is awesome. Been doing a lot of reading on the threads Slash recommended in my other thread, and I think sometime after the new year I’m going to pick up another razor or two, as well as some lapping film set-up. Seems like an easy an inexpensive way to maintain my own blades. Not sure if I should spend a little more money on a vintage straight that’s been restored, or pick up a pair of Gold Dollars, so I don’t have to feel bad if I wreck them learning to hone.

I am pretty new to this. I like to share just because I enjoy being part of the SR discussions. Anyway, I thought I read so.ewhere that 24 was a good number. I went up to 50 and thought it was better. Then 80. Then back to 50. I think for me it is more quality laps than quantity. If I am in a hurry I go 10 laps and still feel as if it tree tops better after 10 laps than just before the 10. I go by what I feel like doing at the time, but at the moment it is between 10 and 50.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I strop very lightly on a firmly held strop. For high carbon steel blades I go about 50 laps. Harder normal stainless steel blades get 60 to 70 and my very hard special stainless steel blades get about 80.

That might be overdoing it a bit but I get the results that I prefer.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I wish I could tell you where I read this, but I don't remember. But apparently in a double blind test it was found that for 90% of straight shavers there was no detectable difference beyond 60 laps on the leather, at by 100 laps, the number who could tell any difference was statistically zero. I don't remember what it was at 40 but I started going 50 laps normally, and 100 stropping laps after honing. When it is a razor for someone else, lately I have been going 50 laps on compressed cowhide and 100 on shell. Not because there is any reason to expect further edge improvement in so many laps, but just in keeping with my usual overkill. I figure if I push the envelope in enough details it might partially make up for if I screw up on some other detail.

Anyway if you are asking and want to hear opinions not directly based on science, then I say strop 50 to 60 laps on hanging leather before each shave.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I recommend you mix it up, but stick with half to full hollow carbon steel for a while. There's nice vintage, beater vintage, GD and similar quality new razors, and new middle tier (Dovo Bismarck, for instance). When you have at least one of each category you should be able to articulate a preference. But just in case, keep going like that until you have at least a dozen of each category, just to be sure.

Anyway if you are asking and want to hear opinions not directly based on science, then I say strop 50 to 60 laps on hanging leather before each shave.

So, based on that, my doing 30 laps before and after each shave is fine? The razor is getting 60 laps between shaves this way...I think I started doing it this way so that I'd get more "reps" at stropping, if that makes sense? Basically practicing it twice a day, instead of once.

Top Bottom