What's new

Signature Scents

Hi, I've been a long time lurker on B&B, particularly the fragrance forum. I've also signed up for Basenotes.

I've been on a search for a signature fragrance and would like to know your thoughts on my options. They are-

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme

Azzaro Pour Homme

Bogart Signature

I'd also like your thoughts on having a signature scent. My father always wore Brut and I think this is where my obsession has come from. I love 'old men' scents such as Brut, Aramis and the ones mentioned above. Basically fougeres.

I would love for my daughter to grow up and be reminded of me by my scent in the same way I was with my father. The trouble these days is there's so much choice and I find it difficult sticking to one scent.

Anyway I'd be glad to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Lennon

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I like those 70s-80s ... 'Aromatic Fougeres'. Over on fragrantica, they all rank pretty highly with 'aromatic', 'fresh spicy', and 'woody' accords. I think the only one I haven't gotten a nose on is the Bogart.

Though it's got leather/spicy/smoky on the list, making me want to immediately track it down and sniff.

Anyway: A couple of my regular rotation frags in this range...

Aramis Havana. Was discontinued and stupid expensive for a while, now reissued and should be pretty easy to find. Classification is more 'Oriental Spicy', but I find it slides in pretty well when I'm feeling some spicy/aromatic. More tobacco-forward than your list, and my tastes can run a little toward more challenging/dry/dirty/stank scents as evidenced by idea #2:

Yatagan. Probably tell you how well you get along with castoreum and/or wormwood. Herbal, foresty, with an animalic vibe. I wear it in Texas Summer because my skin chemistry is forgivable of such things, and I'm a bit weird.

Another one from the cheapo bin I like from that era/vibe is Quorum. Woody Aromatic.

If you want to kick the budget UPward, niche opens up a bunch of less 'mainstream' options, as they sometimes run a little more experimental with notes. I'm not always too pro-niche simply from a financial perspective, but probably worth looking into if you're on that hunt for a -signature-.

Diving into more spendy options... Thinking Invasion Barbare, maybe? Or go old-school callback and track down the reissue of Houbigant's Fougere Royale for a snoot.

Hi, I've been a long time lurker on B&B, particularly the fragrance forum. I've also signed up for Basenotes.

I've been on a search for a signature fragrance and would like to know your thoughts on my options. They are-

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme

Azzaro Pour Homme

Bogart Signature

I'd also like your thoughts on having a signature scent. My father always wore Brut and I think this is where my obsession has come from. I love 'old men' scents such as Brut, Aramis and the ones mentioned above. Basically fougeres.

I would love for my daughter to grow up and be reminded of me by my scent in the same way I was with my father. The trouble these days is there's so much choice and I find it difficult sticking to one scent.

Anyway I'd be glad to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Lennon

You really can't go wrong with any of the options you mentioned. All are solid. I would personally give Azarro the edge, but by a narrow margin based on longevity. It's really splitting hairs. Bogart Signature has been getting. A good bit of wear from me recently. It's a well blended frag that's fairly versatile.

Travtex has made some interesting suggestions as well. Yatagan is a favorite of mine of late, and Havana is a bit of a bold statement that I also enjoy.

If you enjoy somewhat vintage type scents, you may want to explore the houses of Caron and Guerlain. Both have some great options in the $50 range that punch well above their price point in my opinion.

From Caron:
Yatagan
Third Man
Pour Un Homme

From Guerlain:
Habit Rouge
Vetiver

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I switch up too much to have a signature... though for many years my most common go-to scents were Grey Flannel and American Crew Classic.

Since I recently acquired Azzaro PH, I believe I have found a new signature. Though if Calvin by Calvin Klein were still available, that would be it. Floris Elite, if I could afford it right now, would also be a strong candidate.

Recently Halston Z-14 and Amber Man have been getting a lot of play in my rotation.

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely swayed towards Azzaro PH. I finished a bottle last year and still haven't replaced it but I do miss having it. Paco Rabanne PH is also great but I'm not 100% on this one. Bogart Signature sounds like a one I'd go for but this would require a blind buy. No stores in the UK stock Bogart for me to test.

When I started getting into fragrances, I was on the hunt for a signature scent. The further down the rabbit hole I fell the more elusive the signature scent became. Now, I can't imagine just wearing one fragrance, and I love having variety. Just my two cents.

I find it too difficult to stick to one scent to have a true 'signature,' but I do wear several in my collection a fair bit: Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT; Chanel Egoiste; YSL Jazz and Ermenegildo Zegna's Javanese Patchouli.

I've not tried Bogart Signature. Paco Rabanne Pour Homme and Azzaro Pour Homme are classics and very affordable in the UK. I don't own them - in the case of Azzaro I'm in the camp that finds similarities with Tuscany by Aramis, which I own. I unfortunately found Paco Rabanne Pour Homme to be too fleeting on my skin but I like its almost classic soap smell.

I'd echo SharptoothC's suggestion of trying out Guerlain's Habit Rouge and Vetiver.

I also wonder if you've tried Givenchy Gentleman? I mean the current incarnation of the 1974 classic and not the supposed 'reimagined' fragrance with the same name they released last year. The current bottle of the one I'm on about looks like this:
giv.jpg

It's not a fougere but I think you might like it for its timeless style.

I like the signature scent idea.

I have two nice fragrances I routinely use. Tom Ford Grey Vetiver & Acqua di Parma colonia.

I find the problem with having a signature scent is that it's not always appropriate to the season or the occasion, unless it's so bland and generic that it fits everywhere, thus defeating the entire purpose.
I can't imagine a scent that I could wear in summer and winter and at work and out on the town. A heavy, herbal scent on a summer day? A brash, power scent at the office?

The key is to build up your scent closet systematically so you don't end up with redundant bottles and buyer's remorse.
I like to use the four-seasons method:
Spring: a green, herbal scent
Summer: a fresh, clean scent
Fall: an aromatic spicy scent
Winter: a warm, comfortable scent

I'd also like your thoughts on having a signature scent.

If you're into fragrances as a meaningful hobby, then I'd advise against having a signature scent. I've recently learned that wearing just one scent, even for two days straight, anosmia sets in pretty quick. Wearing a fragrance that you can't even smell defeats the purpose, no?

Instead, I recommend having a rotation; alternating between at least two fragrances can help curb anosmia.

If you do find one fragrance that you absolutely love, then by all means wear it more frequently. But I wouldn't recommend wearing the same one fragrance day after day. You want to be able to smell it too.

Top Bottom