What's new

Sig Sauer P320 XCompact

Call me old fashioned, but IMO a 9mm CCW needs a minimum barrel length of 4" in order to have JHP's reliably open up. Or, you can watch the most anal retentive ammo tester on Youtube. :eek: :rolleyes:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Call me old fashioned, but IMO a 9mm CCW needs a minimum barrel length of 4" in order to have JHP's reliably open up. Or, you can watch the most anal retentive ammo tester on Youtube. :eek: :rolleyes:

Yup, he is a little anal, although it's right that a longer barrel will give better results. But...I wouldn't want to stand in front of a 3 inch 9mm, or even a 2 inch .38. It depends on what trade off you want for ease of carry or effectiveness. A 6 inch barrel .44 mag. works great but....

This is what I carry in my vintage Colt...old school, I know, but it works.

Buffalo Bore's Heavy 38 Special +P: Effective Old School Defender

img_0003-jpg.853869

I've started carrying wadcutters in the j frame with hollowpoints in the speedloader because the shape makes reloads easier. There's data out there suggesting that from the 2 inch barrel wadcutters give up nearly nothing in damage potential while the lack of recoil aides in fast follow-up shots.

I know a guy that had his 357 j frame cylinder modded to carry 9mm rounds in a moon clip, the taper makes them eject very nicely, pretty much fall out, then he transitions to 38 or 357 hollowpoints from a strip or speedloader for his reloads. Working smarter, not harder.

He also gave me a LOT of good tips for mental approach aspects of running a revolver vs pistol. He's a pretty dedicated revolver guy.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I would risk the wrath of the War Department by getting into a different handgun cartridge at this point in our financial life, so I stay with my 357 or 38 revolvers. I am comfortable with the choice. "Urban rounds" will usually not penetrate the wall behind the unfortunate individual that decides to get in front of one.

Top Bottom