What's new

Sig Sauer P320 XCompact

Might be a silly question but what is modular about it? What can you change?
The trigger group pops out of the grip frame. The trigger group is the serial numbered "pistol". The frames can be swapped around, for example i can drop my trigger group into a compact grip frame, put my full size barrel/slide on and have something unique, if of questionable utility. As mentioned a caliber change is child's play, which is quite useful.

They make x-grip spacers that allow using longer/higher capacity magazines in the shorter grip frames without having a big gap.

This x compact grip frame should interchange with everything else so one more nice tinkertoy to build with.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

I've never even shot a Sig, so I have nothing constructive to contribute. At about 25 oz. it should be okay for carry. Sigs are excellent quality.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Connie may need to get one of these.

proxy.php
Ahh, a Fitz conversion. I used to have one. Mine was in 45acp and the gunsmith had really smoothed out the action. Had some money problems and sold it to a good friend. He loves it as much as I did. From the bench, it will group 1.5 inches at 25 yds all day long. The chopped trigger guard scares children and makes horses cry. For those that are not familiar with the Fitz conversion. Fitzgerald was a champion pistol shooter and worked for Colt between WWI and WWII. The story behind the conversion was that he recognized a need for a short barreled pistol for undercover police officers. So he took a full sized colt and chopped the barrel, bobbed the hammer, cut off the front of the trigger guard and then (this is where the magic is) smoothed out the action, so it was butter smooth. The idea was that as cop could keep his pistol in his pocket and pull it without snagging and easy the ability to grasp the trigger. In a pinch, you could shoot it while in your coat pocket (nice feature if wearing an over coat in a Chicago winter.). If you have a Fitz conversion actually made by Fitz it is worth many thousands of dollars. Mine wasn't but was executed just as well.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Ahh, a Fitz conversion. I used to have one. Mine was in 45acp and the gunsmith had really smoothed out the action. Had some money problems and sold it to a good friend. He loves it as much as I did. From the bench, it will group 1.5 inches at 25 yds all day long. The chopped trigger guard scares children and makes horses cry. For those that are not familiar with the Fitz conversion. Fitzgerald was a champion pistol shooter and worked for Colt between WWI and WWII. The story behind the conversion was that he recognized a need for a short barreled pistol for undercover police officers. So he took a full sized colt and chopped the barrel, bobbed the hammer, cut off the front of the trigger guard and then (this is where the magic is) smoothed out the action, so it was butter smooth. The idea was that as cop could keep his pistol in his pocket and pull it without snagging and easy the ability to grasp the trigger. In a pinch, you could shoot it while in your coat pocket (nice feature if wearing an over coat in a Chicago winter.). If you have a Fitz conversion actually made by Fitz it is worth many thousands of dollars. Mine wasn't but was executed just as well.

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like you know what you are talking about.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
proxy.php

Thank you for the hospitality. My wife accuses me of belonging to the "Gun of the Month Club." But like straight razors, so many different ones that do many different things and most good ones will last for generations. Now straight razors, I've only been playing with for a couple of years. I joined this forum to learn more about straight razors, and low and behold, there is a sub-group about guns. I think I 've found a new place to spend time and learn some new things.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Thank you for the hospitality. My wife accuses me of belonging to the "Gun of the Month Club." But like straight razors, so many different ones that do many different things and most good ones will last for generations. Now straight razors, I've only been playing with for a couple of years. I joined this forum to learn more about straight razors, and low and behold, there is a sub-group about guns. I think I 've found a new place to spend time and learn some new things.

Welcome! :)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
proxy.php

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
They're now out and shipping. I think this is a nice little video of the unboxing and comparison to a couple of the other P320 models.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I saw this review of it today.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some more reviews of it show up.

OkieStubble

Nice videos. The 320X has a 15 round mag capacity and a 3.6 inch barrel, compared to the smaller and thinner 365 with a 12 round mag capacity and a 3.1 inch barrel. I like the idea of the flat trigger on the 320X, but is the +3 round cap and .5 of inch in barrel length for a bigger, fatter gun worth the jump? I dunno.

Sig needs to offer a P365 upgrade with that flat trigger imo. :)

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Nice videos. The 320X has a 15 round mag capacity and a 3.6 inch barrel, compared to the smaller and thinner 365 with a 12 round mag capacity and a 3.1 inch barrel. I like the idea of the flat trigger on the 320X, but is the +3 round cap and .5 of inch in barrel length for a bigger, fatter gun worth the jump? I dunno.

I agree with your thoughts on the P320X compared to the P365. I was reluctant to dissuade Connie from checking it out though.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"

I don't know a thing about any of the 320 variants. Do you think there is enough commonality of the 320/365 for a 320 type trigger to make an upgrade possible? I've still not upgraded my old 229 to the SRT yet.

OkieStubble

I don't know a thing about any of the 320 variants. Do you think there is enough commonality of the 320/365 for a 320 type trigger to make an upgrade possible? I've still not upgraded my old 229 to the SRT yet.

Might have to miniaturize a few parts, But yeah, I think it could be done.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.

I agree with your thoughts on the P320X compared to the P365. I was reluctant to dissuade Connie from checking it out though.

I hear ya. Then again I don't know if it makes a lot of sense for us to buy another 365 to take to the range since neither of us canceal carry. And I still need to keep my small girl hands in mind.
proxy.php

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Will the 3.6 barrel of the 320X be adequate enough for a range gun?
HUH?

Won't that depend on the shooter? But with the 320 system you can just buy the larger frame/slide & barrel (none being a firearm so no background checks or such needed) and take your trigger unit to the longer range use setup.

OkieStubble

HUH?

Won't that depend on the shooter? But with the 320 system you can just buy the larger frame/slide & barrel (none being a firearm so no background checks or such needed) and take your trigger unit to the longer range use setup.

Frankly, I'm not sold on Sig Sauer's "modular system" for the 320 line of pistols. It's only my opinion of course, but just because you can pull out the "removable fire control housing" and put it in another frame, or add another barrel, or change up a slide? I just don't see the advantage in this, when all those different parts still have to be paid for except for the "modular trigger group".

If I have a 9mm full size and want to change it to a compact, everything still has to be purchased "except" for the "trigger box." If I wanted a 320 full size, a 320 compact and a 320 sub compact and purchased all 3 pistols separately, The only difference of not having it "modular" would be? I would just also own and have 3 separate control groups.

If I wanted a full size, compact, and sub compact 320 but went the modular way "instead of purchasing separately" I would still have to purchase, all 3 slides, all 3 barrels and all 3 individual sizes of frames, but only have "one control group" to switch between them" Well, ok? Where is the advantage? Tactically? Monetarily? Convenience?

If I already owned all 3 separately? I can just pick up the one I want and go. If modular? But I still had to purchase everything separately? And only change out the trigger box? "Too much "time" "Too much trouble" and "too much money" if you ask me.

This may very well be the greatest marketing ploy Sig Sauer has ever accomplished. I do plan on doing some research in this matter in the near future and post my findings, But I have a growing suspicion that it might be more expensive, to purchase a full size slide a compact slide and a sub compact slide, also, all 3 barrels and all 3 different frame sizes in order to change out the "so called" modular control group, then the cheaper route of just purchasing all 3 pistols individually and also have all 3 separate control groups for each pistol.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Frankly, I'm not sold on Sig Sauer's "modular system" for the 320 line of pistols. It's only my opinion of course, but just because you can pull out the "removable fire control housing" and put it in another frame, or add another barrel, or change up a slide? I just don't see the advantage in this, when all those different parts still have to be paid for except for the "modular trigger group".

If I have a 9mm full size and want to change it to a compact, everything still has to be purchased "except" for the "trigger box." If I wanted a 320 full size, a 320 compact and a 320 sub compact and purchased all 3 pistols separately, The only difference of not having it "modular" would be? I would just also own and have 3 separate control groups.

If I wanted a full size, compact, and sub compact 320 but went the modular way "instead of purchasing separately" I would still have to purchase, all 3 slides, all 3 barrels and all 3 individual sizes of frames, but only have "one control group" to switch between them" Well, ok? Where is the advantage? Tactically? Monetarily? Convenience?

If I already owned all 3 separately? I can just pick up the one I want and go. If modular? But I still had to purchase everything separately? And only change out the trigger box? "Too much "time" "Too much trouble" and "too much money" if you ask me.

This may very well be the greatest marketing ploy Sig Sauer has ever accomplished. I do plan on doing some research in this matter in the near future and post my findings, But I have a growing suspicion that it might be more expensive, to purchase a full size slide a compact slide and a sub compact slide, also, all 3 barrels and all 3 different frame sizes in order to change out the "so called" modular control group, then the cheaper route of just purchasing all 3 pistols individually and also have all 3 separate control groups for each pistol.

It's certainly NOT just Sig, many modern guns are made with a modular trigger group that is "the gun". Even the little Beretta Pico and S&W M&P Bodyguard 380 are the same modular design. The Taurus Spectrum is yet another example.

The advantage is mostly regulatory but also financial. I much of the US if you want a full size and a compact and a sub compact you need to buy three guns and get the required permissions and waiting times and additional costs associated with local and regional requirements. With the modular trigger group as pistol you buy one pistol and go through the paperwork and licensing one time. For the other two you order on line and it gets shipped to your door with no background checks, no paperwork, no licensing issues.

And I promise you, simply pulling out the whole works makes repairs and adjustments and even deep cleaning a whole bunch easier.

Top Bottom