What's new

Sig P320 Quandary ... *Sigh*

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
A friend, wanting to relieve me of the Nitride P320, requested photos ... retreived her from the safe, racked the slide to make sure it couldn’t destroy the wife’s burnt orange pillow & immediately began waffling on the notion of parting with it. I mean, it looks & feels great in the hand, but in my mind & in the words of Sophocles, “Trust dies but mistrust blossoms”...

I need therapy...

I hear you @shoelessjoe! I just sold a CZ 75 BD in 9mm to a friend of mine at a pre-panic price.

as I’m showing it to him, I just kept thinking what a great pistol it is.

It helps me to consider that when this panic is all over, there will be a tremendous buying opportunity to get barely used guns cheap. Those that were sold to people who never owned a gun and shot their’s once.

shoelessjoe

There’s no denying Sig quality, it’s just those few unprovoked discharge incidents that for me, casts a pall over an otherwise excellent looking, handling & shooting pistol. Bottom line is, the only time I trust my chambered 320 is when it’s in-hand & that hand is pointing it downrange.

And if I did sell it @ its’ current panic-driven value, I would keep those dollars in the family by pursuing a post-panic-priced W. German, Classic P-series Sig.

Problem, or quandry as it were, is that I really like the 320 ... I just don’t trust it with a chambered round.

I hear you @shoelessjoe! I just sold a CZ 75 BD in 9mm to a friend of mine at a pre-panic price.

as I’m showing it to him, I just kept thinking what a great pistol it is.

It helps me to consider that when this panic is all over, there will be a tremendous buying opportunity to get barely used guns cheap. Those that were sold to people who never owned a gun and shot their’s once.

Good stuff, mr_houston!
And though this won’t afford you any peace in regards to your recently departed CZ 75 BD, irregardless of who’s talking or where they’re talking about CZs, I have yet to hear any negative things about them! My youngest CZ is a CZ-83 & it’s a fine pistol. I can only guess at how much finer their recent offerings must be.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Classic P-series versus any of the newer Sigs? No contest. A quarter century old 226 or 225 or 229 would certainly be on my get again list; even my old SigPro 2009 would come way ahead of any of the newer Sig Sauers. 'course I still prefer my Sauer's to any of the Sig Sauers.

proxy.php

proxy.php

shoelessjoe

Nice, Mr. jar_ !

I could (also) envision turning the 320 into a 9x18 Ultra/Police-chambered P230 or better yet, a Walther PP Super.

Regarding the CZ:

My buddy is also my pastor, so I couldn’t jack the price to current levels, 😇 and

I still have it’s big brother, the SP01 and it’s little brother the 75 Compact 😀

I trust the p320. I carry mine with a round in the chamber every day. That being said if you don't trust it now, you won't trust it in the future. Go ahead and sell it if you can't trust it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Just sold a HK P2000SK. Nice gun. Parted ways with it for a reasonable price. Will not miss it all that much as it was immediately replaced with a Benelli Montefeltro 12 gauge.
...and one nice thing, finding ammunition for it is pretty much a snap😉
34E27E56-3412-4F4E-BBF3-C20B5C938B29.jpeg

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
There’s no denying Sig quality, it’s just those few unprovoked discharge incidents that for me, casts a pall over an otherwise excellent looking, handling & shooting pistol. Bottom line is, the only time I trust my chambered 320 is when it’s in-hand & that hand is pointing it downrange.

And if I did sell it @ its’ current panic-driven value, I would keep those dollars in the family by pursuing a post-panic-priced W. German, Classic P-series Sig.

Problem, or quandry as it were, is that I really like the 320 ... I just don’t trust it with a chambered round.

Good stuff, mr_houston!
And though this won’t afford you any peace in regards to your recently departed CZ 75 BD, irregardless of who’s talking or where they’re talking about CZs, I have yet to hear any negative things about them! My youngest CZ is a CZ-83 & it’s a fine pistol. I can only guess at how much finer their recent offerings must be.

If you're that torn about your 320, just keep it. Some guns just have sentimental or other attraction, even if they are less than perfect. You may lament it after you part with it. And it's not a $10,000 high-end shotgun, so you are not passing on a large financial transaction.

FWIW, I own and have owned or used many Sigs over the years. German and US-made. Mainly full-size frames. A couple odd-balls, like the 1911-22. But I also retired my P220 to the house and now carry the tiny plastic frame 360. A very nice little carry. No problems with any of them.

IMO, the entire German v. NH-made Sig debate is a lot of hot air generated from gun snobs. You have to get the round count up to many 10s of thousands of rounds before any difference becomes remotely discernible between them. And at that point, care and handling practices are more of a factor than COA. The Exeter Sigs are absolutely excellent handguns. Don't be discouraged from them.

A full-size classic, whether a P220 or a 226, is a wonderful pistol no matter the COA or date of production. Stick with the basic models, and you can't go wrong. If it's a later one, you may want to upgrade the recoil pin, and it will serve you and your children well for many, many years.

By coincidence, I'm taking my old P220 and a P226 Mk-25 to the range later today, as I get Mrs. Columbo more acclimated to the former as an HD tool.

Then she'll hand them back, and prefer her little S&W, like she always does.

shoelessjoe

Regarding the CZ:

My buddy is also my pastor, so I couldn’t jack the price to current levels, 😇...

Too funny!
I can hear it right now: “WELL DONE MY GOOD & FAITHFUL mr_houston. BUT, ABOUT THAT CZ 75 BD...!”

I am reminded of the memorial service for a close friend who, among other things, had coached youth hockey up in Alberta. Being that Jack’s spirtual house had always been kept in order, there was a bit more levity than one might have expected ... one by one, folks shared anecdotes about the positive influences he had had on their lives. That is, until one of Jack’s, son’s friends walked up to the podium & straight-faced, began reminiscing about a happy childhood spent playing hockey that came to an abrupt, final end the day & in his words, “I was the last skater cut from my Bantam League team’s roster by none other than Coach Jack”! Following a ten-second pause he continued, “And about right now, he’s probably up there having to answer for that decision”! There wasn’t a dry eye in place ... and we’re talking tears of laughter.

shoelessjoe

...That being said if you don't trust it now, you won't trust it in the future.
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Though the 320 is the Carry variant, it wasn’t purchased with that in mind ... rather, it was yet another .357 Sig to add to the fold. My mistrust combined with Exeter’s ambivalence - i.e., a voluntary, not mandatory 320 (upgrade) recall - gives me pause. And then I take an otherwise fantastic 320 out for photos &/or to the range & the ambivalence re the pistol is compounded. Truthfully speaking, Exeter’s handling of the situation is what sticks in my craw ... more so than the 320’s discharge woes. Hence, its’ replacement will likely be a German/W. German Sig (Walther PP Super?) should I decide to part ways with the 320 — that said, a German decision would be based entirely on (Exeter) sentiment.

If you're that torn about your 320, just keep it. Some guns just have sentimental or other attraction, even if they are less than perfect ... IMO, the entire German v. NH-made Sig debate is a lot of hot air generated from gun snobs...
In regards to keeping the 320, it’s definitely the other attraction you speak of. Sig Exeter/discharges notwithstanding, the P320 is an excellent pistol that’s inherently accurate, has great ergonomics & an outstanding trigger.

You’ll get no NH-vs-Germany arguments out of me. My NH Classic P-Series pistols run every bit as well & are as highly regarded as their German-made safemates. And those 220s are my favorites ... in the wonderful world of Sigs, P220s are in world unto themselves.

A friend, wanting to relieve me of the Nitride P320, requested photos ... retreived her from the safe, racked the slide to make sure it couldn’t destroy the wife’s burnt orange pillow & immediately began waffling on the notion of parting with it. I mean, it looks & feels great in the hand, but in my mind & in the words of Sophocles, “Trust dies but mistrust blossoms”...

I need therapy...

It will be good riddance!!! Do a bill of sale....just in case.
I just sold my 2004 car w 32K miles...., feels weird!

Top Bottom