What's new

Sideburn trimmer?

Can anyone recommend a good tool for trimming sideburns? I just want something that will allow me to accurately trim my sideburns to my desired length without a bunch of guesswork. I find using safety razors to be too imprecise ((I've used Henson, RR GC, Merkur Progress). Henson has become my go-to razor and it's probably the worst for sideburns. I too often have to keep evening out the length and angle.

I'm open to electric or manual as long as it's not too expensive. If it's electric I'd definitely want something cordless.

Funny you say that but I struggle with precision on the burns also. Luckily, mine get shaved off with my weekly head shave. Between head shaves, they are never uniform but not noticeable.

A shavette razor will do what you want. There's a bit of a learning curve, but they are precise.

One of the best uses the Feather Artist's Club blades. There are also inexpensive clones of this razor that work the same.

1649725377289.png

You can get a shavette that uses half of a regular DE blade. These are not as nice but will get the job done. Barbers often use these to trim the neckline and the edges of a haircut.

1649725756266.png

I've never had a problem, but then again I've had sideburns for the majority of my life so it should be old hat to me. :)

I've even used a slant a few time.

Funny you say that but I struggle with precision on the burns also. Luckily, mine get shaved off with my weekly head shave. Between head shaves, they are never uniform but not noticeable.
I'm on my way to eventual head shaving but not quite there yet ;-)

A shavette razor will do what you want. There's a bit of a learning curve, but they are precise.

One of the best uses the Feather Artist's Club blades. There are also inexpensive clones of this razor that work the same.

View attachment 1438317

You can get a shavette that uses half of a regular DE blade. These are not as nice but will get the job done. Barbers often use these to trim the neckline and the edges of a haircut.

View attachment 1438321
I actually have a Parker shavette that i've never used. I can give it a try. I assume I would have to remove the blade between uses to avoid rusting just like any other razor?

I've never had a problem, but then again I've had sideburns for the majority of my life so it should be old hat to me. :)

I've even used a slant a few time.

I'd say my problem is more a lack of trying. Since I know my sideburns have a half-life of one week, I just don't concern myself with precision, and just aim for close enough.

I actually have a Parker shavette that i've never used. I can give it a try. I assume I would have to remove the blade between uses to avoid rusting just like any other razor?
Shouldn't really need to remove the blade, most of them are stainless steel (but blades are cheap to replace anyway). If you just rinse and put out to air dry it should be fine.

For a safety razor, don't set the length on the north/south pass: err on the side of caution and leave more to work with. You set the length on the cross pass (earlobe to lips) where you can see the side of the razor head is perfectly aligned with the part of your ear you are using as the guide.

I've done this for years, including in the late '90's when I was rocking Captain Kirk style angled burns.

You don't need a special tool, just a different approach with the razor you currently use. And, yes, it works fine with slants as well. :)

Shouldn't really need to remove the blade, most of them are stainless steel (but blades are cheap to replace anyway). If you just rinse and put out to air dry it should be fine.
I’m more asking because ideally I don’t want to have remove/dry/put away another blade after every shave. I guess the only way to avoid that would be getting a true straight razor but that’s too much hassle in other ways.

Wahl works for me. As you can see, you have a diversified selection. My barber recommended this one as she has been cutting hair over 25 years. Glad I listened to her and picked one up at Walmart.

I’m more asking because ideally I don’t want to have remove/dry/put away another blade after every shave. I guess the only way to avoid that would be getting a true straight razor but that’s too much hassle in other ways.
You don't have to remove the blade until it's time to change it. Just run it under the faucet and shake out excess water, it's really quick and easy.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I use an inexpensive electric beard trimmer. If I keep my sideburns trimmed down it’s easy to cut them to length while shaving with a DE.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use whichever razor I am shaving with to cut my sideburns to length. I trim the hair within the sideburns to grade 1 with Wahl hair clippers when I cut my hair.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I cut them using my ear nub as a reference point and line some point of my razor to it on both sides. Seems to work for me. For thickness etc thats under the domain of haircut, and they are cut then.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a very good Andis hairclipper with interchangeable blade sets. It's no longer available but the Oster Classic 76 uses the same interchangeable blade sets... no screws used to change out your blade sets. Another alternative is to use a pet hairclipper from a manufacturer of your choice. They all make cordless hairclippers now.

However, I don't use it to get my sideburns the right length and/or dimension. My SE Claymore Evolution lets me see exactly where I'm shaving so I just trim my sideburns as part of my routine, as BigJ just stated... and several others. I'm sure, no matter what razor you are using, you can get comfortable using it to define your sideburns.... just wipe of the shaving cream at the bottom of your sideburns so you can see what you are doing.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I just use my Rex Ambassador, same razor I shave my face with. I just WTG cut from the bottom of the side burn edge. Then later clean it up, with an ATG cut, up to the edge of the side burn. If your looking for perfection, like a machine did it kind of perfection, your only going to get that from a outliner-detailer trimmer. You could technically use a clipper as well, if you put the blade in the closed position.

Everytime I cut my hair with my Wahl Magic Clip's, I trim up the side burn a bit, and put an edge on it. Then like I said, I just maintain it with my Rex Ambassador, same razor I shave with. No need to overthink it.

Top Bottom