What's new

Sick of stupid spam calls

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
yes, I also forgot to mention all the emails I am getting, most ending up automatically in the spam folder. From time to time I look in there, wow, I got a $hitload of bills to pay...Geeksquad, Amzon, Microsaft etc. But, I need to look there at least once a week, sometimes an important mail ends up in there from time to time. My wife and I am discussing now for a while why there is nothing done to avoid all these calls, messages and emails. Some decent politicians could make some changes, now the problem is to find decent ones....

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I will admit to having some fun with a guy who was pretending to be from the IRS. He sounded like a fairly young man, and after I had my fun I asked him if his mother knew what he did for a living, and would she be proud? The call didn't last long after that.

But it's no doubt better to let them think the phone number could be out of service. You get on a list and then you get passed around.

Also next time one calls and you pick up only say hello ONE Time. The automation usually will not connect if you only say hello once !!!!

I used to be courteous to telemarketers and say not interested. For the last 20 years I just hang up.

I knew of one guy who who used an air horn on callers. That seems a bit too much for me. To each their own.

I used to be courteous to telemarketers and say not interested. For the last 20 years I just hang up.

I knew of one guy who who used an air horn on callers. That seems a bit too much for me. To each their own.
Hold down the star key. Just makes a loud noise also.... Don't hold any number button it may be a way to " verify " information for the spammer.....

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Asking to talk to their supervisor that is wondering why they have been on the phone so long with one customer also works.

~doug~

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
In Canada it is insane. Federal Government Tax Dept, Fedex, Amex and Duct cleaning. I get at least 2 duct cleaning calls a day. Unreal. Almost always from India but showing as a private or local number.

I get between 3-5 assorted scam calls every day.
There is a way to stop offshore calls and I have figured them out sort of and they have thrown in the towel on mine & wife's phones in Canada.
Say I get a call (example) that is 1+332-445- 3333 all I do is take go to airplane mode and make it make it a contact "robot caller #" then what I do is remove the #'s to end up with 1+332 on this contact and then hit ignore for that contact. What this only does is not allow #'s with 1+332..... from harassing us. They are clever bunch and will change to another # down the road because they have your existing # possibly I figure so you will get them once in a while with another # but they eventually given up on us.
What they where also doing in Canada was piggy back off another # so when you picked up the phone it looked like a local # but the big 3 providers have figured them out sort of for now, in the USA it might be harder because there are so many smaller providers they will piggy back of.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you're getting a LOT of spam calls, put your phone in airplane mode after using a spammers number as a call forwarding number.
:lol1:

I am one who still lives in the dark ages of having a land line, although in my case it is VOIP. The phone system to which it is connected has voice announced caller id and an answering machine. The system can also block about 100 numbers. It announces the caller after the second ring and starts recording after 4th ring. I only answer the phone if caller id says it is someone in my contact list. If a spam caller leaves a voice message, I then block that number, but there are some spammers that use a variety of numbers, but have the same recorded message for each.

I have a cell phone, but rarely give out my cell phone number. Thus, nearly all calls to that number are robodial calls. Fortunately, my provider marks suspicious calls as Suspected Spam. I will check voice mail periodically. If someone I know left a message, I save that number to my contact list. If not, it gets saved to the blocked list.

The two types of calls I hate most are political ads, especially those asking for donations to someone outside my area and calls wanting me to switch my Medicare coverage to their Medicare Advantage plan.

Isn't it incredible that we are all really annoyed by these calls, as I am sure 99% of the US or North American population is, yet instead of the government, which highly regulates all forms of telephone service, does very, very little, and effectively nothing that is effective, taking strong measures to do something, we are all individually stuck with taking individual self-help efforts, which take a lot of effort and as far as I can tell are ineffective.

This is the epitome of something a democratic government should be doing, if nothing else in response to the will of the people.

Isn't it incredible that we are all really annoyed by these calls, as I am sure 99% of the US or North American population is, yet instead of the government, which highly regulates all forms of telephone service, does very, very little, and effectively nothing that is effective, taking strong measures to do something, we are all individually stuck with taking individual self-help efforts, which take a lot of effort and as far as I can tell are ineffective.

This is the epitome of something a democratic constitutional republic government should be doing, if nothing else in response to the will of the people.

If government truly cared about citizens, yes, it would stop. Along with the foolish time change nonsense. Elected officials by and large care more about power, control, and getting rich.

Top Bottom