What's new

SiC Powder

I bought Sic powder to help with lapping my Jasper stones. I also have a Washita that needs a lapping. What do you suggest I use for the Washita? Which grit? I know I will use a succession of grits for the Jasper and dress the finished side with 800 grit.

Personally, I just get it sic level flat on that, then I tend to move on to wet drt sandpapers but that jasper definitely go through the sic grits or you will be in a world of hurt.

Last edited:
out of curiosity, how many grams of sic at each grit is recommended for a home user?
I see a full set that has following:
60 - 180 g
120 - 165 g
220 - 160 g
320 - 175 g
400 - 160 g
600 - 150 g
800 - 135 g
1200 - 115 g
2000 - 70 g

sounds like you guys only use sic up to 320 so is 1/4 pound each more than enough for casual use? or is 1/2lb nice to have?

My tactic with washitas as a basic example is I go up to 220 on a granite tile and really let the sic break down, from there I tend to clean up the mess, get a slab I never put sic directly on, put my wet dry at 120 on that and put some sic directly on top of the paper and just spend that sheet with the sic on top to get the low corners from being on the loose grit plate down a bit to give me a head start. After that I move to fixed grits with grids I repeat till I am confident it is flat and then test across to see if light passes still.

I just don't see the point with a lot of stones to use the full progression loose because you are just polishing a hump you will need to delete anyway. That plus the fixed grits help clear crashed loose grits

I just don't see the point with a lot of stones to use the full progression loose because you are just polishing a hump you will need to delete anyway. That plus the fixed grits help clear crashed loose grits

Thanks, i realized most don't do the full progression loose and was trying to just figure out how much of the loose makes sense... 1/4 or 1lb given gotgrits low prices.

so is 1/2 lb adequate. Is 1lb a “big” bag or is 5lbs a “big” bag.

i guess i just need a reference of what makes sense to have around for a couple of stones here and there.

i guess i gave the set as a reference since i have no idea how much that weight makes sense for anything.

Last edited:
I mean half a teaspoon of the stuff on a tile at the time is enough to make it rain slurry with most stones

I have a bad habit of buying washitas and rehabbing them and I still buy sic like once every 15 months or so. I think the last time was two 1.5lb bags and I am still in the first bag. And that was months ago

duke762

Rose to the occasion
The last soft Ark I bought was dished so bad I eroded the high ends down with a glass bead blaster and then went to silica sand on concrete. I've lapped bottom glue damage off of a couple Pike Washita's with sand and concrete. Then on to SiC and W/D.

Top Bottom