What's new

Shulton

Just perusing ebay for some old shulton stuff, came across a bottle of Burley on the UK site, currently even with 6 days to go attracting a lot of interest,it makes me think there would be a massive market for this stuff (Old spice,Old spice lime, Old spice burley, Old spice leather ,Old spice musk)if they were re introduced PROPERLY (no cheap plastic and adhering totally faithfully to the original formulas) they are timeless classics and would sell by the truckload if pitched properly.Procter and Gamble vandalised them.They are a great piece of Americana that need resurrecting in a proper manner, as I said if the emphasis was on quality again they could be a moneyspinner,Burley was wonderful. Follwing cut and paste from basenotes....
In 1934, William Lightfoot Schultz formed Shulton and in 1937 creates a fragrance called Early American Old Spice for Women. After the success of this fragrance, Early American Old Spice for men was launched. During the war years the scent of Old Spice went wherever US soldiers were posted.

In 1950, Schultz dies and his son, George, who joined the company in 1940, takes over the running of Shulton.

In 1970, the company was acquired by American Cyanamid, and Shulton's range of products is increased. Joining Old Spice, Old Spice Fresh Lime (1966) and Old Spice Burley (1968) include the likes of Old Spice Musk for Men (which looked suspiciously like Jovan Musk launched the year earlier), Blue Stratos, Mandate, Rapport, Night Spice, Insigina (all for men) and Cie for women

In 1990, Shulton is acquired by Procter & Gamble. A year later, they discontinue most of the Old Spice variations. In 1995 Blue Stratos sold to UK company Parfums Bleu and in 1996 P&G sell Insignia, Rapport and Mandate to Dana Cosmetics.
BRING 'EM BACK I SAY!!!!

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly. P&G may not think it's worth bringing back but I definitely think there's an untapped market waiting to explode out there. I offer as evidence the fact that while the "Family Dollar" clone sells for only $1.60 per bottle, CVS sells their clone for OVER $5.00 PER BOTTLE. I know that I'd be willing to pay up to the $10 - $15 range for the original Shulton recipe.

I think Procter & Gamble just likes to buy up oldies just to tear them up. Why? Who knows but just look at what they've done to Gillette since they got their hands on them....:mad:

Its a question of image,if that wonderful glass bottle containing original formula Lime/Burley was marketed in the mens glossy magazines stating the original '60s formula has now been strictly adhered to etc,even faithfull packaging, a whole new market would open up ,the price would be much higher to mirror quality etc but that would lift its street cred to where it should be,an entrepreneur could make lots of money on these wonderful products if pitched properly,its about time they came back,there is a market for timeless quality nowadays

Last edited:
Proctor & Gamble is pure evil on several levels. Desecrating classic American brands being among the less egregious of their sins. I believe that I read that not too long ago Cincinnati had a scandal where P&G was caught illegally eavesdropping and wiretapping prominent city politicians and businessmen. They treat that town like some company mining village out west.

Well, since shulton doesn't really exist anymore the question is really pretty elemental. if they ever did bring back the old stuff (which I doubt) it would probably just be some rip off concoction.

What I'm try to say is its immaterial who makes it, as long as its not dumbed down with cheapo ingredients and plastic packaging I dont remember the originals but my dad & uncles say they were far superior to the currrent dross ,a few websites also back this up,the ingredients are probaby held somewhere and they could be returned to their former glory,I'm from the UK and I view them as part of American history,really great products.With loving restoration and shrewd marketing I think they would be a gigantic seller, especially in the UK

Last edited:
Wow--I sure hate to be the "heavy" here but I'll have to say it as I see it.

People like us that enjoy the history as well as the scents and packaging of our favorite products are so far in the minority as to be completely insignificant. The majority of men go about their day with a can of Edge Gel and a Mach 3 or an electric razor and never give shaving a thought. It's the same as putting on deodorant or brushing your teeth. It's part of good grooming and you go about your day. If they are using Old Spice, Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer or what have you, nobody cares if it's in a plastic bottle.

Most Americans have become used to "cheapened" products, cheesy packaging and lower quality. One could say that it's become the "American Way". I remember just about every product years ago coming in nice glass containers. Medicines, toiletries, sodas, cleaning products--everything came in containers and packaging that said "We're proud of the products we produce".

One could lobby P&G I suppose for a return of the classic products, but I feel that this would probably be fruitless. When you consider how huge P&G is, the amount of products they produce, a couple of shaving items are insignificant to them. Really when I think about it I wonder why they even bothered with Old Spice at all. Considering P&G's scope of products, Old Spice is pretty small potatoes compared with other things they produce.

But now for the positive!!! I was mighty impressed that Combe decided not to tinker with the Aqua Velva product or packaging. It is possible that they heard the voices of the people regarding their products. Being a smaller company, its likely that all of you that decided to speak out actually did something tangible in keeping AV from becoming a cheapened product. So really, it never hurts to speak your mind about something you really believe in. My hats off to you on that one!!

That said--if P&G decided to re-introduce the original O/S products I would surely be willing to pay a premium (within reason) for them and support those products. Without your support--many times you lose the products you love.

Carry on the good work B&B'ers...Sometimes it all works out...

Marty E.

I think the answer is they leave P&G s ownership and be relaunched as a superior product ,(there is a place for niche products Taylors ,Trumpers, Penhaligons ,the list is endless, they do well)I know Lime/Burley would be hot sellers in a new retro quality market,I can just see that elegant bottle of classy Lime sitting on my bathroom shelf

Last edited:
I think the answer is they leave P&G s ownership and be relaunched as a superior product ,(there is a place for niche products Taylors ,Trumpers, Penhaligons ,the list is endless, they do well)I know Lime/Burley would be hot sellers in a new retro quality market,I can just see that elegant bottle of classy Lime sitting on my bathroom shelf

Have John Hamm in full Don Draper mode doing the commercials. It might prove a fad, but you'd sell ocean's of it for awhile.

It looks like you still can buy the Shulton original. I just found out on ............. that Shulton in India still manufactures the original formula Old Spice.

They carry 100 ml travel bottles of the aftershave for $12.50.

Also hate to break it to you, but the Indian Old Spice isn't the original Shulton formula, either. All they share is a name and superficial similarity. Likewise, that shop has shut its doors for good last I checked.

If you think that all hope is lost considering the Old Spice line, consider the 4711 story. P&G bought out the Mullins line in 2003 and went to work tinkering (ie, cheapening) the formula. Fans of 4711 were so unanimous in their outcry that Proctor and Gamble found themselves with this dilemma; either going back to the original formula or getting rid of the brand altogether.

In 2006 P&G sold the 4711 brand to Mäurer & Wirtz, who immediately announced their intention to not tamper with history and go back to the pre-P&G formula.

Could it be done with Old Spice? Possibly. That would entail all of us boycotting P&G and not purchasing anything branded with the Old Spice name (barring vintage stuff, of course) and repeatedly hammering their offices with complaints until they decide to sell the OS line to a company that doesn't quite have their heads as far up their derriere as P&G seem to have.

Hey, it could happen. :smile:

It looks like you still can buy the Shulton original. I just found out on ............. that Shulton in India still manufactures the original formula Old Spice.

They carry 100 ml travel bottles of the aftershave for $12.50.

I love the Indian formula.

The Indians have the right idea. These chaps tend to be anglophiles and love some of the English and American cosmetics. Old spice is one example of this, Yardley, a quintessential English brand is now only made in India. I have a friend whose parents are due to visit from India - I will ask them to get some Yardley for me.

Mäurer & Wirtz,,didnt they take over the production of Tabac? these guys seem to have THE right angle on things,the soap is without doubt a quality product,if they done a similar thing with the old Shulton range they would be on a big winner

Also hate to break it to you, but the Indian Old Spice isn't the original Shulton formula, either. All they share is a name and superficial similarity. Likewise, that shop has shut its doors for good last I checked.

If you think that all hope is lost considering the Old Spice line, consider the 4711 story. P&G bought out the Mullins line in 2003 and went to work tinkering (ie, cheapening) the formula. Fans of 4711 were so unanimous in their outcry that Proctor and Gamble found themselves with this dilemma; either going back to the original formula or getting rid of the brand altogether.

In 2006 P&G sold the 4711 brand to Mäurer & Wirtz, who immediately announced their intention to not tamper with history and go back to the pre-P&G formula.

Could it be done with Old Spice? Possibly. That would entail all of us boycotting P&G and not purchasing anything branded with the Old Spice name (barring vintage stuff, of course) and repeatedly hammering their offices with complaints until they decide to sell the OS line to a company that doesn't quite have their heads as far up their derriere as P&G seem to have.

Hey, it could happen. :smile:

Clubman Rob-

Your knowledge on all things cologne/aftershave is astounding, helpful and plain fun to read. I don't know how you go about resourcing your info, but all I can say is Wow!!!

I may have to retract my decidely dour post about the state of O/S. If 4711 can be saved, maybe O/S has a shot. I'm willing to do my part if we could form a battle plan.

Not to hijack this thread, but I would never have found out about Pinaud Eau De Portugal- which is just spectacular as a light, clean aftershave without your reviews. Also your advice on aerating and decanting Lilac Vegetal has enabled me to really enjoy a "historic" product instead of never trying it because of some bad reviews...You were spot on with your LV tips!!

Enjoyed your article on LV over at TSD---well done, sir!!

all the best,

Marty E.

Top Bottom