What's new

Shrink-to-Fit 501s

Anyone have any experience with the shrink to fit 501s? How much do they shrink? I've read that you need 2 waist sizes up and 4 more inches length wise? I can' t see pants shrinking 4 inches in length but only 2 in the waist.

So, how much bigger do they need to be and do you like them better than the the preshrunk?

Mine shrank about 1.5 sizes down and when I wear them, probably loosen up .5 of a size as they stretch. I prefer tighter jeans so no problem here. I seriously can't imagine other people's have shrunk 4 sizes though.

Anyone care to give a primer on shrink-to-fit 501's?

I love Levis - they're the only jeans I'll wear - and I've always been tempted to check out the shrink-to-fit 501's, but I don't know enough about them.

Pros?
Cons?
Rationale behind shrink-to-fit?
Do they always feel the way they do in the store (pre-shrinking)?
How do they, uh, "work"?
How do you do the shrinking?
Are they worth it?

Anybody wanna give us a hand?

I heard what you're suppose to do is put them on and sit in a bathtub so they form to you. In anycase, I just buy the ones that already shrunk.

Anyone care to give a primer on shrink-to-fit 501's?

I love Levis - they're the only jeans I'll wear - and I've always been tempted to check out the shrink-to-fit 501's, but I don't know enough about them.

Pros?
Cons?
Rationale behind shrink-to-fit?
Do they always feel the way they do in the store (pre-shrinking)?
How do they, uh, "work"?
How do you do the shrinking?
Are they worth it?

Anybody wanna give us a hand?

pros--the original 501 jeans. dirt cheap. "custom" fit, authentic/unique fades. diy satisfaction.

cons--only one cut/fit, the 501 which doesn't suit everybody. uncertainty about sizing/shrinking. also messy during that first wash/soak as some of the excess indigo dye rinses out.

rationale--they shrink in water, and if you wear them as they shrink or while they're still damp, your body will help resist shrinkage to mold them, and if you walk/move around while wearing them parts that have shrunk too much may stretch back out. this gives a "custom" fit. also, since they're stiffer than pre-washed/pre-shrunk jeans they'll form distinctive folds/whiskers/stacks on your lap, behind the knee, and around the hem/ankle. high-end designer jeans manufacturers charge a lot of money to replicate these fade patterns, but you can get them for free just by wearing your jeans.

Do they always feel the way they do in the store (pre-shrinking)?--i'm guessing you're referring to the stiffness. no, as you wear and wash them the starch washes out and the denim begins to break-in they soften up. the advantage is that they only get soft in places you need them to get soft, such as around your waist, crotch, and knee. this makes them very comfortable, but they still retain a little bit of stiffness/structure in the legs. this is different from pre-washed jeans, which are soft everywhere so they hang off of your hips (feeling heavy and uncomfortable after a long day), and bunch up around your ankles (looking saggy). in the long run, raw denim looks better and is more comfortable.

How do they, uh, "work"?--all cotton fabric shrinks when exposed to water/heat. we just forget that because most of the clothes we buy are pre-shrunk at the factory (often the entire bolt/roll of fabric is shrunk before patterns are cut and sewn out of it). levis just leaves this step out, letting you do your own shrinking.

How do you do the shrinking?--it's not really an exact science, more trial-and-error. buy jeans (make sure they say shrink-to-fit on the label, some 501s are pre-shrunk) that are 1-2" larger in the waist, and 2-3" longer in the inseam than you'd normally wear. then soak them in your bathtub (cold for less shrinkage, warm for more shrinkage). i'd avoid the electric dryer and just hang-dry these outdoors or over your shower/tub. for the best "custom" fit you can wear them as they shrink by either wearing them in the bathtub (make sure the water isn't too hot!) or soak them by themselves and hang till partially dry, then wear them around (preferably outdoors) while they're still a bit damp. be careful because the first time you do this the indigo will bleed onto t-shirts, underwear, socks, shoes, carpet, sofas, basically anything it contacts while wet.

alternate methods of shrinking--wear your unshrunk jeans to the beach and go for a swim with them on, then keep them on as they dry in the sun. or wear them while you're washing your car and make sure they get wet.

after that initial shrink you're all set to go--you only need to do it one time. i'd continue to hand-wash and hang-dry, but that's just me. if the waistband starts to stretch out too much, a soak in hot water will shrink it back up again.

Are they worth it?--totally up to you. they can regularly be found under $40, and sometimes under $30 on sale, so it's not a huge money investment, even if you ultimately decide you hate them. it might take an afternoon to do the initial soak, but that can be part of the fun. just be careful not to stain anything while they're damp. if you're willing to put up with a little hassle/discomfort initially, they'll probably become your favorite jeans. as you wear them they'll become more comfortable and over time they'll fade in a pattern that's unique to you.

Last edited:
cthip: That post was amazing.

I've gotta try it. I can't really call myself a "Levis Man" unless I've done this, anyway.

My only qualm is about not buying the right size and ending up with a pair of jeans that are too short, big, etc.

My only qualm is about not buying the right size and ending up with a pair of jeans that are too short, big, etc.

Maybe get them a little longer? It would probably be better to have them come out a bit long and cuff them than come out short and look funny...

I'm going to try and find some, too. This sounds fun (and comfortable)!

I have the same feeling. I wore them for many years and hated to see them cheapen. Used to be that the fabric was so stiff after washing that you could stand them up. They wore like iron. Now they have less belt loops and wear out much quicker. I'd get them an inch larger in the waist and 2" longer in length.

Wow, I did not know they still made those! The true 501 button fly needed to be washed 3 times before you wore it. I still remember my mom and I doing this together. These were the best jeans I ever had. After that I just bought the pre-shrunk ones.

2 more hints - you can buy your exact waist size if don't like baggy fit and want to wear them long before first soaking/washing.That denim stretches a bit back even if shrinked after first wash.And to wear them before first wash, i soaked only the part from the knee and down in cold water for an hour to make them shrink in length not in the whole fit.For my 34*31 a usual 501 size i'd gone with the 34*33-34 in STF with good fit results.

I only wear Levis 501s, and I own/have owned several pairs of the STF. I Love them.

Here are my tips:
1. Buy one wash DARKER than the color you want them to end up.
2. If you like your pants to have a "classic" fit, BUY THE SAME SIZE YOU WOULD GET IN PRESHRUNK.
3. Wear them for about a week before the first wash. This loosens/softens up the fabric where you need it loose and soft, and causes some areas to fade, giving you that vintage/ lived in look right off the bat.

Top Bottom