What's new

Shower soap and shampoo bar recommendations please.

Good evening Gents

I am new to SAD (soap aquisition disorder) and loving it. So I though I'd come here and get further enabled.
My first order consisted of a bar of TOBS Mr Taylor, Ribera do Porto Bath Soap and Musgo Real (Oakmoss)
and absolutely love all of them. Anything you can recommend along those lines would be appreciated.
Also wanting a shampoo bar, at present a have one from a vendor on Ebay and it has lasted very well but would like
some ideas along the barbershop scent range of possible. I also use Clubman liquid shampoo and like the scent.

I dont have sensitive skin in any shape of form so for me is mainly about lather and scent.

Thank you.

I now buy my soap from Rod at Stirling. And my lip balm (Crème de Menthe is a favorite). And, at some point, some aftershave. I have yet to try the laundry soap. If he ever comes out with some, I will probably buy moisturizer there as well.

I would think that my bias is obvious. :biggrin1:

I find his bath soaps to lather very well (and easily), with great scents. They don't last as long as a "hard" bar of soap (like, say, Irish Spring), which is fine with me. I feel that the quality ingredients and great scents/lather more than outweigh that.

The big danger of ordering from Stirling is that once you add bath soaps to the cart, it's really easy to add some shaving soaps. And some lip balm. And some aftershave . . . you get the idea.

Shampoo - I have reached that stage of life where, suffice to say, I may never need shampoo again. 2-3 mm of hair doesn't warrant shampoo, in my opinion. :001_tt2: I do try to "buy natural" for my daughter, however. Plus, with her long hair, conditioner is incredibly helpful before trying to comb out tangles.

Filthy Farmgirl is another soapmaker I can recommend. If it weren't for Stirling, I'd probably use them.

Mike's Natural Shampoo Bar and Queen Charlotte Soaps make shampoo bars. Etsy Get Lathered makes both a shampoo bar and a separate conditioner bar, offered in multiple scents. I just ordered some bars from all 3 companies.

Mike's bath soaps and shampoo bar are terrific. I have a stash in one drawer of my Shave Den. But my go-to is Mitchell's Wool Fat Bath Soap. It is a hard soap and good for a long time. August West got me using it as a shampoo soap, too. It makes a terrific lather, and the lanolin leaves your skin soft, too. I don't leave home without it.

One caveat, a few folks are allergic to lanolin. Otherwise you cannot go wrong with either of the above brands.

Queen Charlotte Soaps shampoo bars are good.

I've use Chargrin Valley shampoo bars and they work very well. Large bars.

I have been using Mitchell's Wool Fat Bath Bar for both my body and hair and I am impressed with the results. Surprisingly impressed how the lanolin softens my skin and hair. I imagine this can be done with other soaps through experimentation.

I'm still looking for a nice and masculine scented shampoo bar. I've had the QCS, which performed well but it's scent disappeared halfway thru the bar.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 166
I've tried two flavors of shampoo bars from J.R. Liggett. Jojoba & peppermint and the Tea tree & hemp oil. My favorite of the two is the Tea tree and hemp oil.

As far as a shower soap, I've really taken a liking to the C.O. Bigelow Mentha exfoliating body soap. It is a huge bar that lasts over a month of daily usage. They have them at Bath & Body stores along with the C.O> Bigelow shave cream.

Last edited:
Hi Chris: I have another vote for Mystic Water Soap. As you probably know, Michelle of Mystic Water Soap makes great shave soaps but her bath soaps are great too. Like her shave soaps the bath soap scents are amazing. I just finished a nice hot shower with the bay rum bath soap. Keep us posted, my friend.

http://www.mystic4men.com/index.html

WARHAWK

I believe I said this on a different thread, but I'll gladly share it here...

Get your hands on some homemade goats milk soap. You can normally find someone at flea markets who makes it. I've NEVER tried a bad homemade goat's milk soap. Plus they're natural, they're unique, and you're supporting your local economy. If you can't source locally "the bay" and Amazon have a bunch. I can PM you the info for a GREAT soapmaker out of Youngstown, OH.

Also, the original Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa soap is wonderful. By far my favorite soap that isn't local. I would describe it as sweet sandalwood. Enjoy!

For bath soap, my favorite is the Whole Foods store brand. They have two lines, one is organic and one is not; both are fantastic. They are French triple milled, so they last a long time; I generally get at least 2 months out of one bar. They come in a variety of scents - Organic Vetiver Cedar is my favorite in cooler months. South Of France soaps, which are eerily similar and can be found at many retail drug and grocery chains are excellent as well.

As for shampoo bars, Queen Charlotte and Chagrin Valley both make some good ones and I would highly recommend samples from either.

I like the Mama Bear bath soaps. Sue makes a lot of bath soaps in the same fragrances as her shaving soaps, some of which are similar to or at least compliment my aftershaves.

Thanks for all the info Gents, looks like I'm in for a treat. Being on this side of the planet the shipping costs are sometimes more than the purchase.

I'm afraid to Google Filthy Farmgirl....

I now buy my soap from Rod at Stirling. And my lip balm (Crème de Menthe is a favorite). And, at some point, some aftershave. I have yet to try the laundry soap. If he ever comes out with some, I will probably buy moisturizer there as well.

I would think that my bias is obvious. :biggrin1:

I find his bath soaps to lather very well (and easily), with great scents. They don't last as long as a "hard" bar of soap (like, say, Irish Spring), which is fine with me. I feel that the quality ingredients and great scents/lather more than outweigh that.

The big danger of ordering from Stirling is that once you add bath soaps to the cart, it's really easy to add some shaving soaps. And some lip balm. And some aftershave . . . you get the idea.

Shampoo - I have reached that stage of life where, suffice to say, I may never need shampoo again. 2-3 mm of hair doesn't warrant shampoo, in my opinion. :001_tt2: I do try to "buy natural" for my daughter, however. Plus, with her long hair, conditioner is incredibly helpful before trying to comb out tangles.

Filthy Farmgirl is another soapmaker I can recommend. If it weren't for Stirling, I'd probably use them.

Top Bottom