What's new

Shower Shaving

I'm sure this has been covered before but I did a search and came up empty.

I'm curious about how many others shave in the shower? Do you use a mirror? I'm just wondering how unique I am. I see very few mentions of shower shaving and none about using a mirror or not.

I really enjoy shaving in the shower. Yeah, it's a waste of water but I keep it nice and low while I'm shaving. I've got a full-length shower door so the shower gets super steamy and a nice marble bench so it's my "spa" time. I love to sit there in the steam and take my own sweet time shaving.

I have used mirrors off and on over the years, but I like not having one. I do it by feel. I don't cultivate much in the way of facial hair, but can maintain sideburns by using fingers of my free hand as a guide. By doing it by feel I maintain a hyper-accurate map of my whisker growth. I don't really do full passes - I guess the initial one is, but after that I move around my face almost at random getting all the little patches exactly against the grain. I just can't get a BBS without going against the grain and irritation isn't a big problem for me.

Best regards,

Chris

I shave in the shower using a small steel camping mirror. By shaving at the end of my shower, I ensure that my beard is as well hydrated as possible.

On the water waste front, my shower head has a pause feature that slows the flow down to a trickle whenever I'm not rinsing. In addition, since I wasn't satisfied with just that flow reduction, just behind the head, I added an inline ball valve to stop the flow completely while I shave.

I shave with a little mirror in the shower, after my shower.

I used to use cartridge and electric razors by feel, but I'm not as confident with DE yet.

Are you leaving the water running when you shave? If so, do you still lather?

I turn off the water while shaving, but remain in the shower. I can get really sloppy with the lather shaving my head and prefer to rinse the whole body after shaving.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Sometimes. I don't use a mirror, I run my hand over my face after each pass to find any rough areas that need more attention.

I shave in the shower when it's a very cold winter or super hot summer. I bought a shower fog resistant mirror and I have no issues with it.

I'm using a brush and soap in the shower, with the water off. I have never been able to shave with only water, unless I used electric or wanted to irritate the heck out of my skin and still not get a close shave!

Yeah, before I retired, I shaved every morning in the shower. I call those the Dark Years. Yes, brush and shaving soap, no mirror, just feel. I used a Mach 3 for a quick and nasty shave. Excellent part of retirement: good, real shaves after a shower, Fatboy, better soaps, a quiet time, often in the evening, for much more satisfying shaves.

For whatever reason, shower shaving never appealed to me.

Most of my shaving mugs are ceramic, and the floor of the shower is ceramic tile. If I would drop a soap mug, it would mean a broken mug and maybe a broken tile.

Not worth it. Besides, if God intended men to shave in the shower, all showers would have built-in mirrors. Yes? :eek2:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Years ago I “shaved” in the shower dragging a cart across my face with a small fog less mirror. Now I shave after a shower at the sink. Except in the summertime I shave in an outdoor shower. I use a new style square mirror. Brush soap or cream and de razor. I can turn the shower flow down to a minimum while shaving to not waste water or flood anything.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I tried to shave in the shower and my shower does not have enough ledges to but any thing and so I had a little table set up near the curtain end. It just did not appeal to me and abandoned that idea. Now do my routine before or After showering and like it more that way. You sure can tell how close a shave you got when I shaved before showering by just a feel test while showering.

Last edited:
Yes, brush and soap/cream. I've always depended on some sort of ledge/shelf.

We remodeled our little master bathroom a few years ago and expanded the shower into the adjacent linen closet to create a reasonably large seat. I don't know, maybe 20" by 40" or so? So I can sit down completely out of the stream of water and take my time shaving. At the same time installed independent flow valves for the overhead shower and hand shower, so I can adjust either for as much or as little water as I like. I leave the hand shower (in a holder on the wall) on just a bit to rinse my razor so the water waste isn't terrible. On cold winter days I'll leave the overhead on a bit just to maintain temperature.

Like I said, my little steamy spa time.

Sometimes. I don't use a mirror, I run my hand over my face after each pass to find any rough areas that need more attention.

Exactly!

Ok. Who shaves in the shower with their straight razor?

Growing up we had a close family friend who was blind. He would win bets by shaving with a straight razor as a party trick. Watching this was a bit more terrifying than riding in a plane he was piloting, a bit less than riding in a car he was driving. Doing those things he was quiet listening for verbal cues from his co-pilot. Shaving he maintained a steady stream of macabre razor jokes.

For whatever reason, shower shaving never appealed to me.

Most of my shaving mugs are ceramic, and the floor of the shower is ceramic tile. If I would drop a soap mug, it would mean a broken mug and maybe a broken tile.

Not worth it. Besides, if God intended men to shave in the shower, all showers would have built-in mirrors. Yes? :eek2:

What goes into the shower with me is a Marvy mug and/or a Timeless bowl. Neither will break or damage the tile floor. No way do I want to take a chance on broken ceramic shards around my bare feet.

Yeah that's what I do I have a timeless bowl, a captains choice copper bowl,and Pereira bowl. So for me a shower shave is not an issue.

I shaved in the shower during my cartridge shaving days. I forget the reason why I was a shower shaver back then as it was quite some time ago. Probably something to do with my routine being so minimal. When I switched to shaving with a safety razor and getting myself on a solid pre and post shave routine my shower days stopped.

For me, shaving is a Zen like experience and a real chance for me to decompress. shaving in the shower just wouldn't be the same.

I've only shaved with cartridges while taking a shower without the need or a mirror and after that I looked in the mirror in case i've missed a spot or two and that's it. I haven't tried that with either DE, SE or SR and I don't think I will. The closest thing that i've done is shaving while the mirror was still wet from the steam after I took a shower.

My lather mug is currently a cheap thing from a discount store. Ceramic and fragile. Both of my brushes have metal handles, and one is very easy to clink on the mug.

I will eventually either buy a copper bowl or carve out a wooden bowl from a piece of oak. I don't think the oak bowl would last long, but the project sounds like a good time!

I just hope I get around to it before I have to dance around ceramic shards in the tub!

Top Bottom