What's new

Show your Cooncatbob razors

This week is the one year anniversary of the passing of Cooncatbob (Robert Smith). To honor him I think it would be appropriate to show some of the work he has done for the members of this community, so that his work can be known by the new members.

For those of you who did not get to know Cooncatbob here is some info:
his site,still running: https://sites.google.com/site/bobsrazorworks/
his thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/80472-Bob-s-Razor-Works-New-Items

Here are the razors I own. I think the old type is most remarkable and the last one Bob made for me. We worked with the patina for quite a while because I did not have the nerve to 'destroy' the perfect bronze surface. Finally Cooncatbob made this handle which I think was something extraordinary even for Bob. My idea was that it should look like it had been buried in a WWI trench and recently dug out: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/80472-Bob-s-Razor-Works-New-Items/page26 #515 and #520

Old type with BRW Improved handle in solid bronze chemically treated for patina. NEW SC on BRW BM (Bull Mastiff) handle in nickel plated brass. NEW LC on BRW BM Deluxe handle with flared knob in solid bronze. Tech on BRW Fluted handle in solid bronze. All handles and refurbishing of the heads made by CooncatBob.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good!

I wish I could get a good shot of my gang one day. The next time I have my camera gear out I will!! I've let two of them go to good homes since Bob passed. I have one I haven't tried yet. It was the last one Bob made for me and I debated gifting it to my brother. Well, my brother wears a beard and I just haven't had the gumption to spoil it yet. A three piece he did in cocobolo that was originally a standard old type.

I use one of the brushes he made and a modified Slim Twist pretty often.

The magnets in the handles are great to have!

I found two pictures Bob sent to me in process. Before plating. The wooden handled one is the one I mentioned above, the other belongs to someone else now.

The after pictures were even better!

Attachments

• $7-28 006.JPG
    $7-28 006.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 659
  • $7-28 005.JPG
    $7-28 005.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 660
Bob truly made some beautiful handles and he was always a gentleman in my dealings with him.

I have 4 heads (New Improved, Long Tooth NEW, Short Tooth NEW, and NEW De Luxe) along with 4 handles (Original Bull Mastiff, Bull Mastiff Deluxe XXL, Fluted, and Amboyna Burl) that I can mix and match to my heart's content.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Unfortunately I came into the DE scene to late to really appreciate and purchase a good handle from Bob. His handles are small pieces of art, and his craftsmanship of these little handles is truly second to none. I have a small machine shop and I've tried crafting my own handles on the lathe and in doing this it really makes me appreciate his pieces that much more. I'm sure there are a bunch of different styles I haven't seen yet but I really like his handles with the flared knobs.

Wow, I didn't know he had passed away. I think I was in military service at that time he passad away, just heard now. This makes me so sad. :( rip..

I did not get chance to work with him. I wish I would have. I sent him an him an email and he replied saying he is moving to new place and contact me once the move is complete but ......

i acquired 2 of his razors later on BST. Great guy indeed.

Some lovely craftsmanship on display in here, gents... thanks for reminding us of Bob's great "works." :thumbup1:

Bob did some really nice quality work. Here's one of his handles with a Pomco slant head on it. A great combination.

$Pomco.jpg

Top Bottom