What's new

Show us your Wedge & Near Wedge Razor(s)

Thank you! I'll post more small batches as the others see use. Definitely my favorite grind though I do have, and regularly use, more hollow blades.

Three used this past week.
View attachment 1147651
View attachment 1147650
Left to right in both images:
W. Greaves & Sons, Sheffield
CVH Mk. No. 22, Eskilstuna
Joseph Smith "Universally Approved Concave Razor Set Ready For Use", Sheffield

What wedgie goodness lies before me for next week? Can't wait to find out...

This week's wedges ...
PXL_20200906_214506998.jpg
PXL_20200906_214619091.jpg

Left to right in both pictures:
Joseph Rodgers Celebrated India Steel
Wm. Greaves & Sons Sheafworks (different from last week's)
James Barlow & Sons ECHO

Still a few more coming up next week ...

I have a couple of near wedges but I decided to post this one that I have.

8097E2F6-EB6B-4432-BB0D-D6AB58E1FD2A.jpeg

F5C51299-9829-43A2-9CD9-645A00E5E5D7.jpeg

1830-1837 Wade and Butcher with WR crown stamping. As you can see it’s nothing but a wedge, weighs a ton when shaving, it’s like shaving your face with a Mack truck, but leaves your face baby smooth.

Larry

This week's wedges ...
View attachment 1151211View attachment 1151212
Joseph Rodgers Celebrated India Steel
Wm. Greaves & Sons Sheafworks (different from last week's)
James Barlow & Sons ECHO

Still a few more coming up next week ...

Wedges (and similar) from this end use.
PXL_20200912_233221280.jpg

PXL_20200912_233401718.jpg

Frederick Reynolds The Old English Razor
Frederick Reynolds Celebrated Hollow Ground For Barber's Use
Rigarazor

That's the set of wedges and near wedges in my current rotation. A total of 9, and all amongst my very favorite shavers.

Be well and shave on ...

So many beautiful razors! What do you guys enjoy/appreciate about wedge razors over hollows?

I really like the added weight of the razor and the “edge feel“ is less pronounced than on hollows. My preference with hollows are towards 6/8 and larger, weight again.

What do you guys enjoy/appreciate about wedge razors over hollows?

For me it's the heft and the silent, efficient, almost "soft" feeling, in the way these razors work. They feel good in the hand and against the face. (I also have a bit of a tremor in my right hand and the added weight seems to help dampen that out.)

On top of all that, I tend to like aesthetics of the older, sweeping/smiling, wider-at-the-toe design that seems common to vintage/antique wedgy blades.

Finally, the additional challenges in honing are just a bonus. :lol:

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thanks @ajduplessis it is a unique razor. Tried researching the ring and never found a answer that satisfied me. The explanation that seemed to make the most sense was made for someone who lost or lost use of fingers and with what they had left gave some control. Amazing journey from Sheffield to the flea markets in Florida. Link for resto I did awhile ago

What's on your work bench right now? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/whats-on-your-work-bench-right-now.503881/page-22#post-9505811

Reactions: CCR
Could any gentleman recommend me some modern wedge or near wdge razors?
I can't find the modern manufacturer that produces them:confused1

Could any gentleman recommend me some modern wedge or near wdge razors?

Rigarazor makes an excellent modern razor that I consider pretty wedgy (rightmost in both photos). I love mine. And it came CRAZY sharp!
PXL_20200912_233221280.jpgPXL_20200912_233401718.jpg
I have seen them fairly regularly on fleaBay. Sergio (or is it Serge?) makes multiple point styles (French point is pictured) so if the style you want isn't available you have to watch for it to come up. I believe he sells through other others as well, but I don't know what they are.

I also know many of the custom makers (Drew Dick, Koraat, etc.) offer 1/2 hollow and some offer 1/4 hollow grinds, but I'm not sure if that's wedgy enough for you. I (unfortunately) do not have firsthand experience with any of them. But I'll repeat, I love my Rigarazor.

Top Bottom