What's new

SHOW US YOUR SEALED STONES, AND MAYBE HOW YOU DID IT

How about some photos and information on how you sealed your stones, naturals or synthetics.
proxy.php

This suita Jnat I wrapped in washi japanese mulberry paper and dipped for 5 coats of varnish. Don't forget to use blue tape to cover the side that you use for sharpening.

Alex

proxy.php

I like to use 3 to 4 coats of fresh 2# shellac and finics with 1# of the same color shellac. The first coat I use blonde color and the subsequent coats I like to use super blonde. Then the last 1# in super blonde as well. I apply it with a very fine small brush as it gave me the best results(no streaks). I will post pics of the brush and backs of the stones later.

Attachments

• 20170628_114636.jpg
    20170628_114636.jpg
    774.4 KB · Views: 66
Cashew lacquer thinned out with turpentine. Clear or neo clear. The clear has a yellow tint, the neo is more transparent but it also smells more chemical to me. The clear looks great on Mikawa nagura with the yellow tint.
Mizu asagi sealed with neo:
IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2095.JPG

A massive sword grade mejiro sealed with clear cashew.

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG

Good thread, I thinking seal my naguras and jnat stones with cashew lacquer. Any suggestion?
Can i use metylcrilate glue to fix small points in back of slate stone?

I use Rustoleum crystal clear enamel on mine.
Painters tape where I don't want it. Spray handle for can and better accuracy. Several light passes drying in between.

file1-12.jpeg
file-36.jpeg
file2-4.jpeg

Oh and Alex really like that paper wrap you did on the suita.

Clear fingernail polish is good substitute for Cashew laccquer in jnats?

"Good" in that nail polish works, is super easy and costs next to nothing, but the lacquers have a really nice look to them, sort of a wet look if you will.
My JNATs (all of my rocks for that matter) are not rare pieces, not much to look at either, but they are workhorses and I enjoy them a lot. Maybe if I had a really nice old vintage hand cut JNAT I would consider lacquer.

I use Klarlac. It's good and cheap, but you need serious ventilation.
Occasionally, I'll put some nail hardener on top because it has more shine.
If a stone came to me with Urushi that has now degraded, I try to use food dye to replicate the original lacquer colour.

I used clear poly spray on one of my jnats and it worked very well. My Escher on the other hand needed something a bit more protection so I used self leveling crystal clear casting resin. It turned out amazing! I have also used the casting resin to “fill” odd shaped or very thin stones. Super easy to work with and excellent results.

Attachments

• A1E8DAF0-C7BC-445F-B477-5911B52A965B.jpeg
    A1E8DAF0-C7BC-445F-B477-5911B52A965B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • E77D7085-9A73-4936-88E4-3866724F3000.jpeg
    E77D7085-9A73-4936-88E4-3866724F3000.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
D23D31CD-6AEA-4A8D-96EF-99F61FA0CD9A.jpeg
Here’s my Maruka sealed with hard as nails sealer. It was sealed around 2014 and is still holding up very well. I kind of wish I hadn’t sealed it, but oh well. The kawa looked much nicer to my eye as it was.

So what's the deal with sealing stones? It's something I'm not familiar with.
Jnats being sedimentary rocks can split. Softer stones have a higher chance than harder but the main premise is seal the sides to prevent water getting there and that stabilizes them. Is it really necessary? Probably not. Do I seal all my stones, yes I do. I see it a s a ritual and enjoy it.
Another reason would be to seal a maruka or other stamps on the side of the stones and preserve them.

Thank you Cugel.
Anybody else?

What type of Varnish you use Alx?[/QU OTE]

I use marine grade Spar Varnish out of the can. My latest quart is Pettit marine paint 1015 Captain's Varnish, traditional amber color. I do not brush or spray but use a metal bread pan for the varnish and dunk the stone, let the excess drip off and air dry on a rack. Recently I built a heated & ventilated drying cabinet so I can do this in bad weather.

Alx

Top Bottom