What's new

show us your Lighters

I'll get around to posting a pic later, but I have a question . . .

Any place I can buy the casement for a Zippo? I had two old ones, which I converted to the single and double torch inserts for my cigars. Now I need casements for the standard inserts I wish to use for my pipes. Zippo website showed no joy.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a casement for a zippo. The google didn’t really turn up any results.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
The insert is what holds the fuel, flint, wick and striker. The casement is the hinged package it sits in. Sorry for the confusion, I could not think of anything else to call it.
You can send your zippos in to their repair department and they will replace the inserts with pipe inserts for free. Just print off the repair page and include it in the package with your zippo lighters.

You can send your zippos in to their repair department and they will replace the inserts with pipe inserts for free. Just print off the repair page and include it in the package with your zippo lighters.
I don't want a replacement insert. I'm looking for the casement for an insert I already have.

Nice collections here! Do you all keep your Zippos in pocket as is or do you keep them in some kind of pouch or covering?

I have a few but am hesitant to just carry them in a pant pocket with all the movement I do throughout the day. I’ve heard that a tire tube wrapping can keep them pretty snug
and help them leak into the pocket less? Of course such a thing detracts from the persona...

brandaves

Nice collections here! Do you all keep your Zippos in pocket as is or do you keep them in some kind of pouch or covering?

I have a few but am hesitant to just carry them in a pant pocket with all the movement I do throughout the day. I’ve heard that a tire tube wrapping can keep them pretty snug
and help them leak into the pocket less? Of course such a thing detracts from the persona...
I just pocket mine. Take care not to overfill and leaking shouldn't be an issue...at least I haven't had problems.

My small collection. Not pictured is my single flame torch Zippo.

IMG_20201018_091758599.jpg

Bics around here mostly, an off brand trench lighter and this Douglas field lighter s model. Not my pic but the same one I have. Recently moved and have no idea where it is lol.

Attachments

• downloadfile.jpg
    downloadfile.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 6
I don't want a replacement insert. I'm looking for the casement for an insert I already have.

I run across listings of cases without inserts occasionally. Here is a nice one with an iconic “Lady Varga/Zippo Lady/Windy Varga/Windy Girl, etc. image on the case. This is a classic Zippo image and looks to be laser etched onto the case. It is a nice one. I have an etched model of the “Zippo Lady Luster Circa 1935” high polish lighter. At the price of the one I got it is a better deal to just buy a new lighter as the case without the guts on the link I provided will cost you more than a new one. Unless, you are looking for inexpensive in which case that is a whole different hunt.

Here is a link to a full Zippo I just got:

Here is a link to a case without insert/guts:

I tend to mostly use Bics, and matches sometimes. Is there an advantage to a dedicated pipe lighter?

You look cool as heck flipping the top of a Zippo, or using a retro "trench" lighter. In my pic, the one second from the left is a "forever match" lighter. Unscrew it, and you're holding a metal match with a wick and flint protruding. Strike it on the edge of the housing, and it lights as a match does. Not a very good execution of a cool concept (for pipes, anyway) but, like trying a new blend, you never know.

For me, matches get some use, but a lighter is just easier. And I do not like the fact that Bics are not refillable.

brandaves

I tend to mostly use Bics, and matches sometimes. Is there an advantage to a dedicated pipe lighter?
I have found that I build a connection with my lighters the way I do with my pipes. I like that they are refillable as well...plus let's be real, Zippo lighters are just so darn cool. They are a picture of engineering function, fashion and reliability. Add to that the windproof factor. A Zippo will light my pipe in conditions that even a Bic would be out of the question. For this reasons I'm a Zippo man.

Over a year ago I bought an Old Boy knock-off from AliExpress for cheap, I think about $10 or $12 delivered. I figured it was worth a chance at that price. I certainly didn't expect Old Boy quality, but I've been pleasantly surprised. It is still going strong and the IM Corona flints fit perfectly.
proxy.php

I decided to buy a couple more while they were still available. In the meantime, with the "trade war" the cost has gone up a few bucks and a few bucks s/h. Ironically, they made the trip from China just fine, until the USPS dropped them on the street. A guy I know showed up one day with my package, a padded envelope, of two lighters in their bags. He found them laying in the street and they had obviously been run over. Surprisingly, there was only very minor damage to one of the lighters and both work fine.

They are still available @ US $13.8 |Pipe lighter 2017 new explosion of creative metal wind and air inflatable|pipe lighter|lighters lightersnew lighter - AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32821521291.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.59924c4dGfrZo9
$13.80 + $2.27 shipping. Amazing quality for the price.

Over a year ago I bought an Old Boy knock-off from AliExpress for cheap, I think about $10 or $12 delivered. I figured it was worth a chance at that price. I certainly didn't expect Old Boy quality, but I've been pleasantly surprised. It is still going strong and the IM Corona flints fit perfectly.

Looks like this “Old Boy” got ripped off and I thought I got a deal at nearly 50% off. Like most things I purchased these days there seems to be multiple reasons I do not have the product in my hot little hands yet. I ordered another item which was a special order along with my new Old Boy lighter and that little item is holding up the show anywhere from 1-3 weeks I am told. Wasn’t planning on buying this Old Fellow; but, if you know how it goes....I got an offer I could not refuse. And I still feel I got “skinned.” These lighters have a good reputation though of lasting a good long while and can be repaired. Worth it...I dunno...too late and too soon to tell.

IM Corona Old Boy LOTY MOP
1603222726225.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Yes. A piece of bicycle inner tube ("commando bands") helps keep the Zippo from evaporating so quickly.

Roll down, flip and strike!

Now that you've cut up a bike tube, those commando bands come in handy on tool handles, etc. Anything that'll slip or give you blisters.

AA

Top Bottom