What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

It maybe. I do see some very fine su type holes on the side I am using, but not sure. The backside is more of an asagi with Namazu and there are some fine su holes. So it was only marked as Nakayama and from what I have seen in the past matches a Nakayama mokume namazu suita, but the other side looks like many tomae I have seen and seems very fine.

It maybe. I do see some very fine su type holes on the side I am using, but not sure. The backside is more of an asagi with Namazu and there are some fine su holes. So it was only marked as Nakayama and from what I have seen in the past matches a Nakayama mokume namazu suita, but the other side looks like many tomae I have seen and seems very fine.
Kind of reminds me of a slurry stone I have, was given to me as a tomo when I bought an ohira suita.
Looks like a suita renge.
20190921_114641.jpg

20190921_114656.jpg

Sorry Tom, no idea where the stones is from. Bought it for the looks mainly and surprise surprise it's a pretty good razor finisher.

Massive 4+ lbs nakayama that I have been playing with for little more than a week. Looks pretty charming along all faces. A real pleasure honing on this one, and the few edges I’ve tested delivered the goods (finishing on water with a drop of hand soap):

28A6DD8F-7AB1-4DF0-86BD-2DFE6BDF356D.jpeg
F37FCFEE-187F-4C8F-866E-A08CE3BC8E32.jpeg
E7BCA226-487D-4CA6-BCC3-513946F5A1C5.jpeg

Attachments

• 9C4FBDF3-33C8-4360-AC2C-BBA16F282E4D.jpeg
    9C4FBDF3-33C8-4360-AC2C-BBA16F282E4D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
How hard is it?

Very new to rating awasedo for hardness, but I would estimate the hardness sits slightly lower than the ozuku I posted recently. Just sent a PM to my guy in order to gauge my swag at this, otherwise, I had planned some comparison honing very shortly. Stocking up for wintertime testing galore.

Last of the nice outdoor weather departs by the weekend, so I will soon be spending much time throughout the week on these lovelies. Even picked up a stereo jewelers microscope (40x) to get really geeky; a local jeweler going into retirement made the deal way, way too good to pass up. 50% off msrp for a minty fresh one with all attachments including dark field adapter.

Top Bottom