What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

86DA54BD-4700-424A-8686-EC472D71DD63.jpeg
E2790ADB-ECFC-4CB0-ADA5-6F4629A663F1.jpeg

Here is a couple suita I have, kind of pretty, though not the most beautiful I’ve seen on in this thread, thought I would share. One is Shinden is the big one and the little one is a cool little Okudo Hon suita. I love it but I don’t use it much because I only have so much time I suppose. The larger one, the Shinden, are really hard to find. If you can come across a Shinden suita I think, despite it being 2nd place by many to Okudo suita, grab it. They seem like rare dinosaurs. Anyone find Shinden, and if not what do you think the reason for this is?

I love the top, but I really wanted to comment on the bottom of that stone - the crust of the earth, very cool looking. I have an Ozuku with similar features.

Agree. The kawa adds character to the stone. No surprise that stones with it command higher prices, at least that's what I have heard.
Here in daylight. Followed Tom's advice and left it unsealed.

IMG_3064.JPG

Atoma. High number, and well-worn when it comes to making slurry. You'll scratch the heck out of your pretty stones otherwise.

My opinion, anyway.

Atoma. High number, and well-worn when it comes to making slurry. You'll scratch the heck out of your pretty stones otherwise.

My opinion, anyway.
Yeah I was leaning towards the atoma 1200. High enough that I could lap and slurry. Possibly even set a bevel if needed.

That would work, but don't let your stones get too out of flat or it's a lot of work!
Good call! I’m pretty good about making sure they are flat. Just wanted to get one I could use to make slurry and to lightly lap.

I have the naguras but figured I’d try the diamond plate slurry method for finishing too.

It would depend on your buying habits. I should probably get a 400 for the reverse side of my 600 which is worn good so more like a 1200 worn. I keep telling myself I won't need it, but who am I fooling. If just for slurry and minor maintenance 1200 maybe fine, but if you have any work to do go at least 600 if not 400. Also depends on if you have sic powder too. That can do the grunt work and then just surface on the 1200. A fresh 600 will scratch the stone though. Knock down any issues with a heavy kitchen knife before using on a stone.

Which grit do you use?
140, 400 and 1200. Added the 140 for the hard rocks, picked an Ohzuku some time ago and lapping it with the 400 would have taken forever. So 140 and 400 for lapping and 1200 for final touch. Also use the 1200 for slurry making when testing stones and want pure slurry with no mix, when using suitas for midrange etc.

140, 400 and 1200. Added the 140 for the hard rocks, picked an Ohzuku some time ago and lapping it with the 400 would have taken forever. So 140 and 400 for lapping and 1200 for final touch. Also use the 1200 for slurry making when testing stones and want pure slurry with no mix, when using suitas for midrange etc.
Awesome run through of the grit set you use. I think I’ll be set with the 1200 then.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Agree. The kawa adds character to the stone. No surprise that stones with it command higher prices, at least that's what I have heard.
Here in daylight. Followed Tom's advice and left it unsealed.

View attachment 979868
Beautiful. I have a Maruka with skin like that and I kick myself daily for sealing over it. To my eye these stones are much more attractive in their raw form. If the stone is split or has structural issues that’s a different story of course. I also cringe when I see Eschers with glossy sealed labels, but that’s just me and my opinion.

Beautiful. I have a Maruka with skin like that and I kick myself daily for sealing over it. To my eye these stones are much more attractive in their raw form. If the stone is split or has structural issues that’s a different story of course. I also cringe when I see Eschers with glossy sealed labels, but that’s just me and my opinion.

Same here David. I sealed a maruka and have regretted it since then. The kawa on that one was really dark, looked like a seared steak. Oh well, we learn from our mistakes.
IMG_3065.JPG

I love the total feel of my stones too much to seal them. I mean, like actually holding and feeling the stone itself, not some sealer, even if it is cashew or urushi. Don't get me wrong, if I had a flaky of fragile seeming stone, I would. But mine are all really solid, so I'm not worried about it.

C4A790BE-ADF6-436D-B5EE-FD7B6BE71532.jpeg

Not the best picture but tried to get a close up of my stone. It’s got this nice cloudy like pattern. Looks like it has some yellowish lines across it too.

Top Bottom