What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

There may or may not be some being added to that sale as well...cough suitable...cough...asagi midori...cough

I love the baby diaper Asagi green with brown/tan splotches now that I’ve been honing on that shade for a while. It seems to clash well with common nagura colors so you can see what’s happening with the slurry.

*cough*howhardisit?*cough*

Don't think I ever posted it

Current one is with the kami. Replacement on the textured mat.
il_570xN.1484646330_a2pw-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20190311-120622_eBay-01.jpeg

Looks neat, share the results.
So I couldn’t help myself had to try it out tonight. I raised a light watery slurry with a 1200 Atoma then did a pseudo “Axe Method” on a shave ready razor. Checked the edge the toe was a little behind so I went back and hit the toe for about 10ish laps. Did 20 laps on my TM strop was pretty satisfied but went back and did 12 on TM linen and 25 on leather which really turned up the edge.

Test shave was fantastic, very sharp in that there was no tugging but without the keen feeling my film edges give me. The edge had the same nice “soft” feeling against my face that my coticule edges have.

I have to thank @Doc226 I reached out prior to getting the stone for some tips. As well as @Andy77 for supplying me the stone and @alx gilmore for his helpful videos and finding the stone in the first place.

I know I have much to learn but this was a positive experience for me considering the difficulties some have had with their first JNATs.

Last edited:
So I couldn’t help myself had to try it out tonight. I raised a light watery slurry with a 1200 Atoma then did a pseudo “Axe Method” on a shave ready razor. Checked the edge the toe was a little behind so I went back and hit the toe for about 10ish laps. Did 20 laps on my TM strop was pretty satisfied but went back and did 12 on TM linen and 25 on leather which really turned up the edge.

Test shave was fantastic, very sharp in that there was no tugging but without the keen feeling my film edges give me. The edge had the same nice “soft” feeling against my face that my coticule edges have.

I have to thank @Doc226 I reached out prior to getting the stone for some tips. As well as @Andy77 for supplying me the stone and @alx gilmore for his helpful videos and finding the stone in the first place.

I know I have much to learn but this was a positive experience for me considering the difficulties some have had with their first JNATs.
That's a good omen, can only get better from here.

This just arrived, an awasedo from the ohira mine.
Paid just over a 100 bucks for it. Reason it being so cheap is because of the cracks.
20190320_191323.jpg
20190320_191335.jpg
20190320_191359.jpg
20190320_191345.jpg

Size W80x201x32mm

This just arrived, an awasedo from the ohira mine.
Paid just over a 100 bucks for it. Reason it being so cheap is because of the cracks.
View attachment 964652 View attachment 964653 View attachment 964654 View attachment 964655
Size W80x201x32mm
Very nice - looks like a "kossy" from Mazambic...but if its a great stone, really, what does it matter where it comes from and who sold it, right? A lot of stones I have have chips and cracks but they are holding together well.

Very nice - looks like a "kossy" from Mazambic...but if its a great stone, really, what does it matter where it comes from and who sold it, right? A lot of stones I have have chips and cracks but they are holding together well.

Where’s the consensus of the “Kossy” stones being from? Mozambique?!

I am a newbie,, Too much japanese stones and I cannot choose the best honing my razor.

Oh man... i don’t know wine so I let a sommelier pair my wine and food. I DO know scotch so I order that myself. The reputable stone dealers can hook you up if you give them what you need (a finisher “awasedo”) and a budget.

Top Bottom