What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
DD670234-AEF6-4E03-BB03-637B3F16C370.jpeg
Well Okudo Suita #296 arrived today, literally hanging out of the box. One corner is banged up and a little fissure opened up on the end. You’d think a little more time would have been spent on packaging a 2250 dollar stone, but you’d be wrong. Anyway here it is. Any recommendations on how to safely get this cashew and rice paper off? It’s so slick you can hardly hold on to it.
897BB72B-8357-4CF5-8D35-8084FD05C474.jpeg

David

To be clear it wasn’t Alex. This was a trade with another individual. Alex packs stones that are bomb proof.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I feel your pain, lol - the foreign aversion to packing. I once bought an almost $2,000 Voigtlaender Heliar 360mm portrait lens from Canada. This is the old large format Braunschweig lens, weighs about 12 pounds. They shipped it in its display box inside another almost as thin box with something like a padded envelope for packing. I had to have it repaired upon arrival.

Regular methylene chloride paint stripper will take the cashew off. It may take a couple of applications. Be careful and don’t abrade the stone any more than you have to, a sacrificial pot scrubber or two should do.

I wouldn't expect that from him anyway... I mean if they knew enough to seal the stone with double redundancy they know jnats are fragile so idk what is up with that...

Yeah they should make that right. That sucks I feel your pain. I have had 3 stones in many years damaged by bad package jobs. Every time the seller has made it right. Hope you at least got the better side of the trade.

I like the look of the rice paper. Wonder if there is an easier better way like adding on top of it. Strange that it is so slick. You might be able to reinforce that corner too.

David

The sides aren’t that thick but the back is. Good idea on roughing it up I’ll try that. The cashew was done well, but with a 4+ pound stone it’s just really slick.

It doesn’t really matter anyway as the stone has already been taken over by the crazy kid. Lol
FCB4B4BF-5569-4D28-B61E-EA86FF8C5B73.jpeg

David

Sure is. Thanks Tom. Says he used varnish, that may be why it feels slick to me.

Been there David. Massive iro kiita was shipped casually in a box with just one layer of bubble wrap and taped to the bottom of the box. Well one tape wont hold it, it's a massive brick. Mailman gives me the box and I can feel it traveling in the box. I almost dropped. Most anxious box opening ever. The email I ended up sending wasn't too polite.
Nice suita by the way. Lapping off the oold layer makes it even ore beautiful than the original pic.

Top Bottom