What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

Unfortunately I'm only borrowing these two; Nakayama Tomae Koppa, and Tanaka Aoto. Both superb stones, but the Aoto in particular is just dreamy.

IMG-2645.jpg

This however is mine, a pretty high quality, old Mizu Asagi of some kind.

IMG-2646.jpg

So I snagged this off of eBay, and the seller said 4.5 hardness, very fine, cuts fast, and amazing straight razor finisher…originally sourced from Aframestokyo. It’s 8x3x1.65, and these are the sellers photos. I do like the kawa, and little bit of kan. Plus since it was broken, it comes with its own Tomo Nagura.

Any thoughts? Fingers crossed!

Vr

Matt
0F854766-F92C-4E30-96E1-9474F095DA8D.jpeg
A0881416-048A-49A5-9E89-9E45F427FAF4.jpeg
97A0F3A8-79EF-48A8-A6D5-B36BD2948A8A.jpeg
EC151BEE-6A4B-4CF5-8EA5-B4FE67971B81.jpeg

So tomorrow's forecast in your area is cloudy?

I have Naguras, but I have yet to really grok the whole "full Nagura progression" thing, despite trying it.

Yes Sir!

I enjoy honing, and find it to be a zen activity. The full Nagura progression is as much about that, as it is total edge refinement!

Vr

Matt

I enjoy honing, and find it to be a zen activity. The full Nagura progression is as much about that, as it is total edge refinement!

I'm with you on that. But I would love, someday, to read an essay on the role of the base stone vs. the role of the slurry. When I tried the Nagura progression, it was on a green asagi, and the coarse scratches of the asagi (compared to my usual JNat finishers) kept it from being a good shaving edge. I can't help but feel that I am missing something about how to operate, since that exact combo is used by a well-known honer/seller.

It terminated thankfully but now I have to have a think about just smoothing the edge of the remaining chip as I have plenty of track or deleting it as it is shallow and risking it reappearing. I may wet it down later and try to get a read if extra water is collecting anywhere underneath. In a way I feel like it is a waste of rock because that divot will create lost honing surface anyway if I cut through the remaining chip.
20210924_022624.jpg
20210924_022631.jpg

I'm with you on that. But I would love, someday, to read an essay on the role of the base stone vs. the role of the slurry. When I tried the Nagura progression, it was on a green asagi, and the coarse scratches of the asagi (compared to my usual JNat finishers) kept it from being a good shaving edge. I can't help but feel that I am missing something about how to operate, since that exact combo is used by a well-known honer/seller.

Don't give up on that stone which might excel with a different razor. The stones are teaching us, not use teaching them. Experiment with other steels and technique.

Alx

Top Bottom