What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

Yeah I always thought the real stamps were brown or purple in color. The black stamps I've seen were coming from that Russian guy on the auction site, but maybe this one is different.

Yeah I always thought the real stamps were brown or purple in color. The black stamps I've seen were coming from that Russian guy on the auction site, but maybe this one is different.

Yes, my other Maruka stones are stamped purple. If it didn't come from So's collection, I would be incredibly suspicious. But he's got the reputation he has for a reason, so I don't really have anything else to do but trust his supply chain and his expertise.

Touched up my Jerry Stark tonight.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk
Very nice stone Greazy! She's a beauty!
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you on this one.

He's also been able to source me several incredible stones stamped by Hatanaka that I have no doubts about, so, it comes down to trust I suppose.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Anyone have any ideas on where this rock came from, or the Japanese words used to describe the color/markings on the honing surface?

The stone is 7.5x2.5x1, is extremely hard and fine…it produces a wonderfully smooth, yet laser sharp edge…and it will make a mirror on the bevel near the edge.

In addition, the markings on the back say:

JB 21,000-
KM 28.12
Fx3

I am really curious, because this has become a prized, if I could only keep two, type of hone!

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

View attachment 1298159View attachment 1298161View attachment 1298162

Hey Matt,

Sorry for the slow reply, the color is what Google translate calls a green plate, and that’s good enough I think. The dots are Nashiji, or pear skin, and these usually occur in the tomae layer though I have seen them in karasu stones.

The cloudy complexion indicates Nakayama or a nearby mine.

As far as the markings go, they’re not anything that I’ve seen before like Showa dates or initials.

Sorry that I can’t help more.

Cheers,

Steve

Yes, my other Maruka stones are stamped purple. If it didn't come from So's collection, I would be incredibly suspicious. But he's got the reputation he has for a reason, so I don't really have anything else to do but trust his supply chain and his expertise.
My sentiments exactly.

Just like I said, it is a new one for me.

Enjoy!

Hey Matt,

Sorry for the slow reply, the color is what Google translate calls a green plate, and that’s good enough I think. The dots are Nashiji, or pear skin, and these usually occur in the tomae layer though I have seen them in karasu stones.

The cloudy complexion indicates Nakayama or a nearby mine.

As far as the markings go, they’re not anything that I’ve seen before like Showa dates or initials.

Sorry that I can’t help more.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks Steve! I really appreciate the help!

Vr

Matt

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Anyone ever try a regular stone sealer for JNATS?? Any made for stone sealers that people are using that is not Cashew or Nail Polish?

Modern Imanishi stones and many from Takeshi at AFrames Tokyo are coated with an odd sealant that’s kind of cloudy, satin, and very difficult to remove. I suspect that this stuff is floor tile sealer.

Iwasaki also mentioned coating stones with a product called ‘stone cote/coat’ which I have no idea what is, but I would expect is maybe an exterior stone sealant product.

All I’ve seen is ugly stuff for a whetstone.

I recommend shellac crystals and behlen makes a alcohol that works perfectly with it. You can mix as little or a lot at a time.
I purchased a quarter pound of super blonde and amber. I mix seven grsms of each and one ounce of the alcohol. More than enough for two stones or if you want a thick layer on one.

I did this over three years ago and it is still very nice. It is tough and beautifull all in one. Can outlast your lifetime from what I hear as far as furniture.

Premixed shellac is not as tough and not as nice looking. Especially when you csn mix your own colors.

Shellac and water does not really sound like a great combo and I’ve been making my own shellac cuts for decades. It just absorbs water and turns white and soft so quickly I can imagine that being near as good as so many other sealers. But if it works for you that’s all that matters. I use marine spar varnish personally with excellent results.

Like old timers used to say proof is in the puddin! Opinions are you know what! Lol!

I did these almost four years ago. Almost looks like they were done yesterday. The Jnat has a little slurry in the crevices but if you need further proof I can wipe it down and post more proof.

I sent one I did to Aframes Tokyo and he liked it.

I have used it on Jnats and Thuris and it works very well for me.

Hope this helps!
0724210955.jpg
0724210955a.jpg

So I took a risk on an unknown mine JNAT, as I like the look of the stone from the pictures pre-lapped and loved the Kawa on the back. I have been looking for a really hard JNAT for a while so I took a risk on this stone and I am glad that I did. It has been described as an Asagi Kiniro Kan, and has an interesting pattern compared to most Asagi stones I have seen. Even has a little Goma in the stone. What surprised me is the yellow colored slurry, was not expecting that when lapping? It really does not want to give up slurry when using tomos or nagura. It is a full sized stone and pretty clean, dense and hard weighing in at over 1060 grams. Let me know if you have any other information to share about this stone or properties?

Re-profiled an edge on my Osiris Suminagashi with really excellent results, HHT+4 first try and it will mirror polish an edge similar to my old SG20k, but the shave was smoother and not as harsh. So far really impressed with this stone, will need to try a few other tomo’s to see what she can do.
IMG_20210722_193438.jpg
IMG_20210722_193321.jpg
IMG_20210722_193335.jpg
IMG_20210722_192608.jpg
IMG_20210722_193409.jpg
IMG_20210723_192149.jpg
IMG_20210723_192619.jpg
IMG_20210723_192104.jpg

So this arrived today. Has hand sawn sides and is in the 5+LV hardness in testing seems fast on it's own slurry and polishes really nice on water only. Seems real fine, but need to do a full test with a good razor and a shave to test. The first pic is after lapping and dry. The others are before lapping and show a little darker as the stone was not completely dry yet. Anyone know what the kanji reads other than the nakayama stamp?
View attachment 1296381View attachment 1296380View attachment 1296382View attachment 1296383View attachment 1296384View attachment 1296385
So how was the shave?

Just in from Sweden
Aiiwatani San Lv 5
Per vendor creates crisp edges comparable to nakayama, ( bold statement),,
Testing, honed two razors, testing shave later
Can someone id stamp meaning
Nagara huge, and is a mini hone
Stone needs sealed but surface butter smooth

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Just in from Sweden
Aiiwatani San Lv 5
Per vendor creates crisp edges comparable to nakayama, ( bold statement),,
Testing, honed two razors, testing shave later
Can someone id stamp meaning
Nagara huge, and is a mini hone
Stone needs sealed but surface butter smooth

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thats the kyoto stone association stamp I believe. Google that and should give you some info, normally good stamp I figure.

Top Bottom