What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

A kan nested in it's wooden base, dai. Nice transition from yellow to grey. Quick test on a finished razor with a tomo worked well. More testing to come but at least I can tell besides the looks it's a perfect finisher.

63hiGxj%S42hgBBDMURFtA.jpg

Here’s a piece of raw ore. It has plenty of black, umber, red and pink kawa, along with harmless namazu on a mostly green surface with blue and red accents. A large spot of black kawa did sparkle in the sunlight. It feels like silk under a knife and kanna, with a hardness of about 4 - 4.5 I’d say. Not scratchy in the least bit.

A679F2F4-1BF7-4790-9127-C34E178E87B9.jpeg
78814DB9-3A34-4024-A7A2-B156E53DE58E.jpeg
E8056DE8-D9D7-4545-A9A1-198896E2C344.jpeg
00A53F52-E5AB-47B9-AAB7-6673C529FE22.jpeg

Ozuku Rock landed ( my first rock)
Level 5+

Preparing for surgery (flattening and waterproofing )
She is hard and baby smooth across surface, so smooth thought about using as is but preparing for surgery on her fir first use

Bigger than what I thought it would be and heavy piece of stone

proxy.php

proxy.php

Oh rock is laying on my niawai 8k Snow White in cardboard box [emoji403]
Cheers

Let the games begin [emoji3]

proxy.php

First shave after flattening and first try playing on stone
Started from 12k edge
Slurry creamy grainy goodness, slowly diluted with water until final water only
( this feels amazing not like synthetics)
Shave was smoother little sharper than 12k edge on first attempts on stone

Stone also seems to polish blade extremely well
TI razor loves playing on the slurry on stone
Still getting to know stone and lots of realtstste to work on
Stone surface smooth/hard

Used stone with Niagara came with stone, easy to raise slurry, but feel most slurry from Niagara but could be mistaken as Niagara sane as stone I think

Not bad edge for first use and 10-15 minutes of new stone
No irritation smoother/ sharper
Now researching asano Niagara I have and proper way to use them with stone
( helpful info needed)
Thoughts need more time using stone and need to strop more as I only did 25 on leather after stone, I think needed more stropping but good edge for first newbi attempt
Only been straight shaving since Christmas and love it, including refreshing my razor on a Jnat was soothing playing in the slurry
See what you guys have done [emoji3]
Gonna see how long this edge last me
Cheers
proxy.php

Does it annoy anyone else that Jnats are delivered in odd shapes and sizes? Most other stones are cut into nice rectangles with flat bottoms. Why is it that Jnats are so often left unfinished?

The pictures show it slightly wet

View attachment 1213950

The stone that you now own is one of the most amazing stones I ever sold. Strikingly beautiful it is crazy fast cutting. With a #600 Atoma plate generated slurry I was able to remove all of the 1,000 King grit scratches in 10 strokes on a Tim Zowada carbon steel razor. I did this over and over to prove to myself what was really happening. You are a fortunate man.

Alx

Regarding jnats I am a fortunate man! Owning such a wonderful specimen of nature's work in my living room is a gift. But this stone is so fast that all my blade are now over-honed! I don't have enough strength of will to stop myself honing right in time.

And besides its beauty, it is also a kind of strange stone. Perhaps a little bit suita? and kiita in the same time?

Overall unassuming green stone with cloudy pattern. Very hard and loaded with abrasive. Took the 1k chosera striae out with one round of atoma 1200 slurry on my tester Japanese razor and then on this MK33. Followed by tomo slurry for a perfect edge/shave. Didn't expect that.

fullsizeoutput_2050.jpeg

Top Bottom