What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

Sure is. Thanks Tom. Says he used varnish, that may be why it feels slick to me.

David
You are right, 5 coats of marine grade varnish. One coat under the paper and 4 over. 7 or 8 day process on that stone, I did not brush on the varnish but used a bread pan with that stone just fit into and dunked the stone and let the extra varnish run off back into the pan then air dried the stone on a rack in a drying cabinet I built between coats. The paper is from an antique book of a Noh play. The fibrous mulberry paper grips the stone as the varnish dries and it all shrinks together. This paper does not have the fibers running one direction like paper mill paper does, the long fibers run here in every which way and inter-lock.

Cute age for your baby. 6 to 8 months? We have our third grandchild in the oven, she was due on the 1st of January last week, so any day now its got to happen. I have three sons and two grandsons so the girl is gonna be exciting.

Alex

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Cute age for your baby. 6 to 8 months?
She actually turns one this Thursday. It’s crazy how fast the time goes. We are also expecting our second child (a little boy) in about 4 weeks! I’m nervous as can be but can’t wait.

Has the third grandchild decided to join us yet?

David

I made a Dai for the Okudo. You wouldn’t know it with so much stone sticking out but it’s set inside the wood just over 1/2 inch. I used JB weld wood filler to level the stone inside the Dai which worked very well. I wrapped the stone in cellophane to keep the filler from sticking to the bottom while fitting, then after it cured I added a few small drops of silicone to hold it in place, that way if I ever want to remove it I can do so fairly easily. A few rubber feet to the bottom to keep it from sliding around and it’s ready for a lifetime of use.
FE9BD250-751F-4987-8EDF-CC19B1581D59.jpeg

David, where the heck did you find this one? I'm looking for one right now, just like this one, in a 3.5 to 4.0 hardness (self slurry, but not soft). That is one gorgeous suita!

David

David, where the heck did you find this one? I'm looking for one right now, just like this one, in a 3.5 to 4.0 hardness (self slurry, but not soft). That is one gorgeous suita!
Hey, it came from Alex Gilmore. You honing knives or razors? Shoot him a message he may have what you’re looking for.

Thanks, David. Yes, razor sharpening would be the primary application, but I have some finer Shun and Kramer (by Zwilling) chef's knives.

UPDATE: I just sent Alex and email.

Last edited:
I hope you honing fellas know that I smile & chuckle every time I see this thread title show up in my "what's new" feed here on B&B! I'm a DE wet shaver so this has no relevance to me,.... but I am a geologist so I DO find natural sharpening stones an interesting topic! Always great to see so much variety happening here in B&B!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I hope you honing fellas know that I smile & chuckle every time I see this thread title show up in my "what's new" feed here on B&B! I'm a DE wet shaver so this has no relevance to me,.... but I am a geologist so I DO find natural sharpening stones an interesting topic! Always great to see so much variety happening here in B&B!

Hey @Granite.Glasser you’re missing out on a bunch of geological fun.

Welcome to the jnat thread!

Thanks, David! It is hard, but not too hard. Smooth as butter and cuts quite nicely without slurry. Tomo or a worn out atoma brings up a nice slurry with a few swipes. To answer your question...actually, I "networked" the location of this stone through a friend, made an offer on it, and secured it after some back and forth. These big ones (with all the corners intact!) are sooo expensive, but I didn't want to dink around with a too-small stone to sharpen my knives on. After getting it home, I promptly applied genuine cashew lacquer to the sides (followed gamma's recipe off YT). Yes, it's two-sided, and both sides cut the same. I am waaaaay over-the-top excited about this one! Under plain water, I am getting a super-shiny edge. Pinch me 'cause I still can't believe I was able to get this one!

Top Bottom