What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Won 3 at auction, and the karasu barber size arrived at the warehouse today so I had them go ahead and ship it. If EMS isn’t delayed, I should have a Karasu Kristmas (lol).

EEF6B350-5724-467B-8EA0-9A1988486EC4.jpeg

I am going for kiita Xmas myself. Planning to wrap it and place it under the tree :) Thinking about it maybe a pure white suita would fit the weather up here better than a sunny yellow stone.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Damn that’s impressive. Mine came from Alex in a round about way. It’s Okudo Suita # 296

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I had been watching that one for a long time. Wonderful rock, wow. Congratulations.
Me too. A while back I finally decided to bite the bullet and sent Alex a message saying that I wanted to try it but he said it was sold and on its way to Germany. Well it must have been fate because we found each other. Small world really.

Steve
That stone on the left shares my bed each night, has its own pillow and little blanket. During the day it follows me around my shop when it is not resting in the top drawer.
That was a fun visit we had a couple of years ago, great meal too, my introduction to southern hospitality.

Alx

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Here are a couple of new acquisitions, the karasu arrived Saturday and the butterscotch kiita on Christmas eve, so I’ve had a karasu and kiita Kristmas, the best kind! They’re both razor grade but I’m still evaluating them of course. The kiita is a darker butterscotch color that Alex Gilmore said is indicative of old stone, older than the brighter, greener kiita mined later in the 50s and 60s. It’s Nakayama based on the patches sparkling black skin. Possibly a real Maruichi - they never stamped stones, closed in the 1920s IIRC, and were known for their fitted bases. It measures 195mm long and about 70 wide, so a bit of an irregular 60 cut stone. I like the size a lot, oversize for razors really, but most are still small enough to hand hold if you want.

The barber size karasu has some depth to the pattern and is a welcome addition as razor karasu always are in my shop.

B1649766-0D51-438C-A556-9688E15EBDAA.jpeg
A08E1AA2-1F57-4A3A-A430-0DE767C15AD1.jpeg
F7A2A61B-72C4-43FE-946B-6A8939557CF8.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom