What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

I find that water here evaporates too quickly. When I was in New England, I could leave a stone wet and it'd stay that way for a while. Out in the Southwest, I can't even step out for a minute without my stones getting dry. Absorption tests are useless here.

Same issue here. Cold and dry air are bad.

Just picked up this Kanayama Asagi from a well-respected B&B member. My early testing produced a very smooth and sharp edge coming from a tomonagura slurry. Initial honing was done through a vintage thuringian.

Just picked up this Kanayama Asagi from a well-respected B&B member. My early testing produced a very smooth and sharp edge coming from a tomonagura slurry. Initial honing was done through a vintage thuringian.

Congrats! I have owned an Shobudani Asagi, very similar to that one and the edges were superb.

Mac

Just ordered this Ozuku Asagi from Maksim about 5 minutes ago. Comes with an Ozuku Nagura. Can't wait to test this out! Maksim described it as extremely hard and very fine and best used with the Nagura or water only.

proxy.php

Also have this 330mate stone that I've tested out a couple times but have been rather unimpressed.

proxy.php

JAPANESE whetstone 70+old NAKAYAMA plane sword razor
:001_tt2:
Some people just won't listen. (That's me). Here it is.

I just got this one, so have not used it yet.

Ordered the Oozuku Nashiji from maxim tonight. Great guy and friendly service. Cant wait for it to arrive.

I was eyeing that on his website but he recommended the Asagi above. The Nashiji is a beautiful stone though. Let us know how it performs!

Finally got my naguras.

Yaginoshima suita, I use it after bevel set
very soft and fast ~8k

proxy.php

Oozuko Asagi ~10k.

proxy.php

Shinden Sunashi suita with Karasu ~20k , prepolisher

proxy.php

Ozuko Namito with Karasu, super fine , had and very fast

proxy.php

Oozuko Asagi, super fine, not very hard , very uniform

proxy.php

Oozuko Asagi - super fine, the hardest stone I have seen, super uniform

proxy.php

Oozuko Namito or Tomae , very fine, softer then the rest.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Slurry stones:

clockwise from left
Takashima Sunashi Suita- very fine prepolisher, I cut it from my main stone
Nakayama Tojiro -final polishing
Shobu Asagi - I use this one to raise slurry from softer stones, it is very hard

proxy.php

3 nakayama tomonaguras

proxy.php

2 unstamped Koma
proxy.php

Mejiro

proxy.php

proxy.php

My monster Mejiro -366 g

proxy.php

Botan , Mejiro , Tenjio

proxy.php

I found Mainaman's recent purchase especially interesting with regard to the variety of Oozuko Asagis. There was a 10k, a very fine super hard, and a very fine soft. Just shows the variation within a given mine and color. The 10k was the biggest surprise to me as I didn't expect one in that range.

@mainaman:

Imho your super hard and Fine oozuku asagi looks pretty similar to my one, does it look cloudy when wet? I think my one is one of the most beautiful stones i've ever seen. :)

@mainaman:

Imho your super hard and Fine oozuku asagi looks pretty similar to my one, does it look cloudy when wet? I think my one is one of the most beautiful stones i've ever seen. :)
Very little , it is the most uniform atone i have seen. It is wet on the picture.

Below are a three of my Jnats...ive a nakayama maruka and a couple others, but i can't find the pics to them right now.

First is a Aoto Tanba.

Second is a set of Nakayama Karasu kiitas, i cut from a larger 330mate stone...of which, much to my fortune turned out to be superb finishers and hella hard.

Third is my beloved Ohira Suita with elements of pink and black renge, plus nashiji.

Slurry stones:

clockwise from left
Takashima Sunashi Suita- very fine prepolisher, I cut it from my main stone
Nakayama Tojiro -final polishing
Shobu Asagi - I use this one to raise slurry from softer stones, it is very hard

proxy.php

3 nakayama tomonaguras

proxy.php

2 unstamped Koma
proxy.php

Mejiro

proxy.php

proxy.php

My monster Mejiro -366 g

proxy.php

Botan , Mejiro , Tenjio

proxy.php