What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

I can now join this thread. Just order my Jnat from JNS, vary excited. Hope to learn more on Jnat.

My jnat - Wakasa and Nagura, just finished lacquer and chamfered.

Attachments

• IMG_7917.JPG
    IMG_7917.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7916.JPG
    IMG_7916.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 33

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The stand is coming along nicely. I coated the recess with a little spray lacquer to waterproof it, non-traditional but makes cleanup easier. Stands were likely intended to absorb water and that’s fine in a shop environment, but if you use a stone on a stand and put a piece of wet wood away in a drawer that can lead to unpleasant things, like rusting nearby steel, mold, mildew, fumungus, etc.

B45DCEC0-EE1C-4D76-93BD-85D66747A2F2.jpeg
814F69E4-B6B4-4296-B8D5-47CE2E6ADA97.jpeg

@Steve56 Nice work you have done with your stand. The stone looks gorgeous, how long is it and how hard?

Thats my first Jnat i bought. Its an Ebay purchase so the mine is questionable. It was sold to me as a Nakayama Kiita. The Stone is normal hard compared to my other stones and has the dimension of 135x82. But it has a flaw there is a line (i would a assume a silicia line) which runs over the whole width of the 82mm. Freshly lapped with an Atoma Plate and broken in with the diamond plate without water i noticed no impairment on the edge if i worked with(for a short period of time) or without slurry only with water. In my experience such inclusions can cause damage if i work over longer periods of time with slurry because the non silicia particle degrade faster than the silicia particle which results in an non smooth surface. Have you guys made similar experience?

vorderseite.jpg

rueckseite.jpg
silicialinie.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The stone is 208x72, full size though it’s missing a couple of corners. It isn’t that hard, about 5 on the usual hardness scale.

Yes, I have encountered lines that over time, will stick up above the honing surface. They're fairly easy to pick out with a carbide scribe.

Atta Aikhjarto
Sorry for my curiosity, but I didn't understand your question about the silica line. Does that center line in the middle of the stone cause damage by sharpening the razor? And would that small risk shown in photo 3 (bottom) be a risk produced by the diamond plate or does it show any flaws in the stone as well?
I had never been aware of these details.
Thanks.

Nice Kiita stones Jnatcat they are looking like some good old ones

@Adonay

From my experience and my line of thought it can cause damage but so does clusters of silicia (seen as spots around at 0.1-2mm which reflects the light with more brightness than compared to its surroundings). The theory behind it is that the surface of the stone has different abrasive rates because of its different particles and the way they are bond. If you use a slurry on your stone made with an natural Nagura the surface gets worn out, but not evenly. So you have some high points which can stand out over time and damage your very front of the blade a bit. The effect will not always occur the distribution of clusters play a role, which angle the silicia line is in relation to the razors edge (0° parallel, worst case as in my picture). However this will only occur after some heavy work on your stone for some period of time (harder stones need longer than softer ones). The negative effects are not as drastical as it is might be on the first look.

My solution for this is you can use a diamond plate as a Nagura and lap your stone after each honing session or in between if it took a longer time. The diamonds have the advantage of being the hardest particles in this match off and are firmly bond in the surface of the plate which results in an evenly smoothed out surface of the Jnat. Thus provide in theory and from my experience better results. As an effect of this method I can use this stone as a good finisher as my others Jnats.

Sorry for my english its late and iam not a native speaker. If someone made different experience please give contra iam glad to broaden my understanding.

Big hoard Kiita. Except for that one soft line it’s super pure and full of good stuff. View attachment 1088905View attachment 1088906

David does it go all the way through the stone? I can see it on the side too. Does it remain wet and show last as the stone is drying? If so would definitely seal the sides and bottom with some good stuff to reinforce the stone. I have one with a similar line, sealed it well with no issues in years now.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
David does it go all the way through the stone? I can see it on the side too. Does it remain wet and show last as the stone is drying? If so would definitely seal the sides and bottom with some good stuff to reinforce the stone. I have one with a similar line, sealed it well with no issues in years now.
Tom no it’s solid and doesn’t pull any water in. It’s a soft line and not shiny like some of the others I have. It doesn’t concern me TBH but I still might seal it sometime.

Nice, Marty! One of those is at the top of my wish list at the moment... then I am done for awhile. Except maybe a couple of tomo to go with some rocks I dont have tomos for. :D

Top Bottom