What's new

Show Us Your Hoard Stones

More modern in human history, not geologically speaking. Hand sawing these stones was done for hundreds of years up until around the 1920’s. At that point circular saw type cutters were introduced, and they are still in use today. Hand saw marks are long, thin horizontal grooves. Circular saw marks are diagonal.

Handsaw:
View attachment 1602466

Circular saw:
View attachment 1602467

Now I understand what the comment meant.

Fly to the sf bay area!
That would be ideal but the flights from Melbourne are rather expensive. I was hoping for a Zoom call or someone that could pick up a spare for me while visiting.

I floated the idea of a family holiday to California but my wife was very suspicious of my sudden interest in the USA. TBH I probably have a better chance of convincing her to go for a hiking holiday in Kyoto.

Reactions: JPO

Legion

Staff member
That would be ideal but the flights from Melbourne are rather expensive. I was hoping for a Zoom call or someone that could pick up a spare for me while visiting.

I floated the idea of a family holiday to California but my wife was very suspicious of my sudden interest in the USA. TBH I probably have a better chance of convincing her to go for a hiking holiday in Kyoto.
Swimming holiday in Wales?

quarrystrike04.jpeg

More "modern?" What period... Jomon Period? Yayoi Period? Kamakura Period?

I mean, it's a stone. And modern is a rather relative term when discussing geology is it not?

It should be a pretty easy sell. We live in the Sonoma wine country area. People come from all over the world to the Sonoma and napa valleys for the scenery, ocean, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe and Monterey all within 1-3 hours away. Can’t ask for much more.

It should be a pretty easy sell. We live in the Sonoma wine country area. People come from all over the world to the Sonoma and napa valleys for the scenery, ocean, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe and Monterey all within 1-3 hours away. Can’t ask for much more.
I’ll lure her in with that stuff and tell her about the rocks later.

Top Bottom