What's new

Show us your Frankenrazors

I have seen a few of these in almost all areas of B&B so I wondered if it might be nice to have a thread where we can show off our modified, improved or just plain messed with razors.

I shave with one :) It's an Old Type head I think and I'm not sure as it has no Gillette markings and the handle is from an Emir Corn Razor that I bought by mistake ... it shaves great but is as ugly as all hell.

No pictures yet but soon I promise and if there is already a thread like this can you please leave a link.

No name after market handle and Colibri 77mm on my Techs, NEW and old type heads. The original case and thin handle are in the travel case ready for duty with the NEW RFB head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Old type gold top plate, Fatip anthracite bottom plate and a UFO Tornado handle:
$frenkenrazor1.jpg

The FrankenParker. I purchased a Parker 96R in March from Amazon. Why it was shipped from Switzerland is still a mystery. At the time, I hadn't been able to find an affordable Black Beauty (my favorite TTO), and thought it might be a reasonable substitute.

The handle is terrific, but the head was cheap and flimsy and in August the TTO mechanism fell apart. I was ready to toss the entire thing, but then noticed the internal threading was standard size. I modified the collar (now purely decorative) and screw post to accommodate a Gillette Tech head.

Now it's one of my favorite razors.

$10446153_10203666912407357_1442163647645552315_o_Fotor_Collage.jpg

Two others that I really like...

1930s Gillette NEW head on a Fat Tech handle. I've been seeing quite a few of these for sale lately. I'd bet most of the heads came off the old style ball handles that cracked or split. The Fat Tech handle is just about the same size and weight as a barrel handle NEW.

$20140908_160231_Fotor_Fotor_Collage.jpg

$20140911_090626.jpg

My favorite razor of all those in my collection is a pre-1950s Gillette Tech head on a Weber Bulldog handle.

$20140524_135009.jpg

Last edited:
The FrankenParker. I purchased a Parker 96R in March from Amazon. Why it was shipped from Switzerland is still a mystery. At the time, I hadn't been able to find an affordable Black Beauty (my favorite TTO), and thought it might be a reasonable substitute.

The handle is terrific, but the head was cheap and flimsy and in August the TTO mechanism fell apart. I was ready to toss the entire thing, but then noticed the internal threading was standard size. I modified the collar (now purely decorative) and screw post to accommodate a Gillette Tech head.

Now it's one of my favorite razors.

View attachment 495374

Cool!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Merkur top cap, FaTip comb, and EMIR handle

Last edited by a moderator:
Snap as they used to say at school, seems we have the same handle, ain't that cool :) As I said in the first post it's an EMIR Corn Razor handle and looks unused. The head is Old Type looking but has no Gillette marks just the J15605 stamped on the top of the base plate. Chrome is very worn and I would like to remove it and just have the natural finish.

Shaves very nicely :)

Attachments

• $Frankenrazor.jpg
    $Frankenrazor.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 217
Here is a pretty common one: Gillette NEW LC on a Weber Bulldog handle:

$new.JPG

Here is the NEW head on an Apollo Stainless Steel Handle, with the stock bar handle next to it:

$apolloNew.JPG

Finally, here is an Ever Ready 1912 Single Edge on the Apollo handle:

$franken1912.JPG

--Bob

This is what I found and purchased from a nearby shop. I had no idea exactly what they were when I first saw them, but I knew the handles were not with the proper heads. I made the transaction got them home and made the proper ID and pairings. The only thing not really belonging is the Aristocrat case. After my initial uses of these three, I really like the NEW Improved head with the lighter and longer NEW bar handle. It just fits in the case making it one to travel with too.
$IMAG0372.jpg

edit- I forgot to add that a spare Rolls Razor blade and metal case was in the blade recess of the Aristocrat box making that item a four razor item.

Last edited:
Well, thanks to the idea of the poster Avincenty. I bought two brass center punches at harbor freight, along with a tap and die set to make the threads fit my gillette NEW OC.

I had bought a fat handle tech a while back, the head was kind of beat up but i just wanted the handle. I had an idea after i threaded the second center punch to paint it black with testors model paint, i call it "the stealth tech".

I stopped by home depot, and noticed they also had a center punch. But this one was stainless steel, and i had to buy it as well.

The handles also fit my merkur OC. Very good weight on them as well.

Last edited:
I think I've found a use for the Durham duplex handle I had replated. Fits perfectly on the Famex head. The heft of this should make a difference too as the original handle is a bit light.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410825598.028318.jpg
Looks super sexy too, very French.

Well, thanks to the idea of the poster Avincenty. I bought two brass center punches at harbor freight, along with a tap and die set to make the threads fit my gillette NEW OC.

I had bought a fat handle tech a while back, the head was kind of beat up but i just wanted the handle. I had an idea after i threaded the second center punch to paint it black with testors model paint, i call it "the stealth tech".

The handles also fit my merkur OC. Very good weight on them as well.

That's a crazily neat idea for a razor handle. Thanks for sharing. Why didn't I think of this earlier?

I think I've found a use for the Durham duplex handle I had replated. Fits perfectly on the Famex head. The heft of this should make a difference too as the original handle is a bit light.
View attachment 496258
Looks super sexy too, very French.

I came to just that conclusion, too.

Nowadays, I'm preferring this rather fat, stubby Gillette bakelite handle:

proxy.php

Top Bottom