What's new

Show us your first post

Here's my first post: Just wanted to say HEY to everyone here, some of you might know me, some knot (haha). Anyhow, glad to be posting again and would be more than happy to assist anyone with questions. I do LIGHT restorations on razors for myself and enjoy the 'sport' of honing! If anyone is interested in the rocks or razors I've got (for the purposes of sharing knowledge or technique) ask me.

Other than that, see you around the forum!

Brooksie

After moving to a new house, I found an old Hoffritz badger brush that must have been hiding from me. This brush is now over 30 years old and was last used about ten years ago. It is now my #1 brush. None of the hairs come out and it hold water and shaving cream like a champ.:thumbup1:

Brings back some memories. One of my early posts mentions that I lost my FB when I left it in a motel when I was on a trip to Indiana. I thought I would never see that one again. But the FB gods were smiling at me because on another trip I stopped at the same motel and got it back from the lost and found!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Brings back some memories. One of my early posts mentions that I lost my FB when I left it in a motel when I was on a trip to Indiana. I thought I would never see that one again. But the FB gods were smiling at me because on another trip I stopped at the same motel and got it back from the lost and found!
no one that works there knew what it was :laugh:. I left my sunglasses on the table at TGI Fridays once, realized it as we were pulling out of the parking lot, I said ahh screw it they are cheap I ain't going back. My friend went back a week later for dinner and got them from the lost and found. What a gal!

09-26-2011, 10:19 pm

checking in.
Name's rich from southern california.

Been shaving my head since 2006, and i've used the fusion pretty much exclusively since it came out.
I "learned" to shave my head with the headblade, but got a lot of nicks from it and found the fusion did a lot better. Still using headslick and i love it. No lather, but this stuff is smooth and stays wet shaving in the shower. I normally every other morning and find it easy to get a bbs shave on my face and head.

But!

I'm sick of $26+ for 8 carts. Ya, that lasts me a couple of months as i can normally use one cart for a week before it gets harsh, so it's not a lot of money, but it seems like it.
So i just invested in a merkur 38c hd "barber pole", a stand, alum block, and a pack of merkur blades (funny, everything i read said they were good, then after i ordered them, i started seeing a lot of reports from people who didn't like them).

Wish me luck!

I think this is it: 7/19/2011

Hi all..thought I'd surface from the shadows. I've been an on and off DE shaver over my lifetime, but recently have come back to the light in full force. I was in an electric shaving phase, and going to Wal-mart to buy yet another foil/cutter because my beard from h*ll wore holes in it in two months. My dad happened to be with me, and intervened on my behalf as I reached for the $40 box (this is for one of those fancy Braun shavers I received as a gift/curse).

Got home and pulled out the old razor (which now I know to be an english G1000) and can of goo, and went at it. I made the mistake of seeing what was about on the 'net for DE shaving (not expecting anything), and I found you lunatics! A few purchases later, and now my wife thinks I'm INSANE! Oh well, at least this is less expensive than some of my other hobbies. Now my wife gets to make fun of *me* for taking so long to get ready in the morning.

Cheers,
James

I think this is it: 7/19/2011

close, the one below is a few hours before the one you posted

you may have been the first and only person to post in the HOF before anywhere else! :wink2:

07-19-2001 09:51 AM

Username:
jamesspo

What is your real name?
James

What are your nicknames/aliases?
James

Where do you live?
Indiana

What is your age (or) generation?

What are you in the real world?
Electrical Engineer

What is your favorite shave setup?
Merkur HD, Feather Blade, Parker Best Badger Brush, VDH Deluxe soap + a tad a glycerin

What are your hobbies and favorite activities?
Shooting, hunting, sports cars, climbing (alpine), ham radio, classic computers, computer gaming, electronics, weight lifting.

What else should the members of B&B know about you?
In a world of Wolves and Sheep, I strive to be a Sheepdog.

From 4/30/13 - beware the mass of incoming text! Run!!!!!!

icon1.png
My initial foray into DE shaving (and enjoying it!
Hello all; my name is Mark (in my 40's) and I am a new convert to DE shaving. I've been DE shaving for around a week and a half, and planning this for a few weeks before that (and lurking on various random posts here).

I'm not entirely sure how I got started - I just finished going through a long and contentious divorce (am delighted it's over, and feel that divorce was far and away the best option given the particulars, which I won't go into), and part of the aftermath is being newly single and being more interested in self care. Not in a narcissistic sense, but rather devoting some time and effort to looking good. It may have been some articles on "The Art of Manliness" that I was browsing, or that I am sick and tired of my wet/dry electric perpetually not being able to cut hairs under my chin, or what . . . I do like wet shaving and switched to the Body Shoppe's can of shaving cream and a shaving brush a while back to see if a brush-applied cream (without lathering or adding water, mind you!) would make my electric shave better. It didn't.

I ended up buying a Muhle R89 (I know the EJ's are cheaper with the same head, but I wanted the maximum amount of knurling for a secure grip and figured that I should buy it right the first time), a starter blade pack from westcoastshaving.com (Astra, Feather, Personna, Crystal, Derby, and a few others), and a dedicated shaving bowl. I also read a seris of articles and watched mantic's videos.

My first shave - I was convinced that I was going to cut myself and potentially risk slicing open an artery. As it turns out, I nicked myself on my chin where I had a small bump, and that was about it. After a few days, I got much more comfortable with the process and have discovered that not only do I get a much better shave than my wet/dry Braun (especially below my neck; I literally used to shave that part with the trimmer attachment which was irritating as heck and THEN shaving a few passes, which still never did anything beyond a terrible job but still beat any other electric) or a Mach 3 disposable I bought to try as a comparison.

I'm now 10 days of shaving into the process, and to my complete astonishment I actually ENJOY shaving. I literally have been shaving twice daily to try out new blades (I believe that this is not a good idea and will irritate my skin, but I do enjoy it and I rationalize this by trying different blades from the starter pack), and for me the Feather/Crystal/Astra seem to work pretty well while Derby and Merkur are rougher on my skin. I rarely nick myself (when I do it is over the front of my chin or under my nose), although my shave is decent only and nowhere near a BBS. I do find that the first pass in any direction feels like there is a slight "stuttering" of the blade, which I attribute to my poor technique and maybe angling the blade too much into the skin and/or using pressure. I have started experimenting with my 2nd or 3rd pass being across the grain (which seems to be working well, and for under my nose a necessity as I can't fit the razor under my nose to get the whiskers high up!); I very briefly tried against the grain and it was rough to the point that I thought I would cut myself, so I stopped that. I do have mild skin irritation from shaving, but it's no worse than cartridges and, again, I chalk that up to shaving twice daily and poor technique. I do think that my lather is decent; at least it looks like the lather in mantic's video if I do it right.

If my skill at shaving ends here, I will be ok wit that, but I hope to have even less irritation (ideally, irritation free and closer) by shaving with the grain then across the grain for 3 passes total without pressure and with better blade angle, and seeing which blade(s) work best for me.

Frankly, I never actually thought that I would enjoy shaving, but I am and so I wanted to thank everyone here for their posts (I have read a bunch; I don't remember names though :wink2:).

BTW, I use an Ecotools kabuki for my current brush (replaces a Body Shoppe which was stiffer; I like the idea of synthetics and a softer brush), the Colonel Conk bowl with Southwestern styling, and either Body Shoppe shaving cream for men or Kiss My Face in mint. I haven't tried aftershave yet; I hate how aftershave burns and avoid it - I just use moisturizing cream which feels much better.

-Mark​

Here's mine, Feb 8, 2012 from How-to-make-great-lather-from-a-soap-Tutorial

Thanks guys. Newbie and my first post.

My first lather went perfectly because of this post. Still working out the kinks on the DE shave. Razor sample pack is on its way. Parker pure badger, Conks Bay Rum, Parker 82R TTO, Shark blade.

I see a straight razor in my future.

Cheers,
Jeff

Still haven't carved out the time to focus on straights.

Last edited:
I recently visited the store and the No 88 smelled quite nice. So I am considering buying this soap (it is currently sold out), but first wanted to hear what you guys thought of it. Was it good or bad, and why?

This is my first post, followed shortly by this one:

Just wanted to say hello,

I have been lurking on and off on this forum for a while now. Thanks for all the great advice which helped me to decide on what brush I wanted to buy, what soap, etc...
Have been shaving with a DE for around 2 weeks now and am loving it. Also thanks for all the guides on how to shave (they have probably saved me from a fair amount of accidents).

Ok found it... Here is mine. :biggrin1:

--------------------------------
Well, my first wet shave with DE. Not bad. No cuts and no emergency room visits.
:w00t:

-Merkur HD
-Merkur Platinum Blade
-Vulfix Badger Brush
-C.O. Bigelow Shave Cream
-Finished off with Ogallala Bay Rum

Face feels good and refreshed. I think I am going to like this.

My first post was to thread: "Scent that most people seem to love but you just don't care for?" Anything Lavender

But my favourite was 6 days later and #6 post to thread: "Newbies, show off your gear!" This eager grasshopper and his gear has come a long way since those early days.

Wow, impressive starter gear on here. I'm starting out with the basics so I can get my technique mastered but already making up a birthday present wish list.

1952 black tip Super Speed DE Razor, $6 badger/boar mix Ebay brush, $2 Walmart bowl, TOBS Soap, Sampler blade pack.

View attachment 327625

heres mine hi all b&b

just started in the world of wet shave de. the first shave was the best i have ever felt..

wilkingson sword classic
bodyshop brush
taylor of old bond street jermyn street...

40 years old, been shaving with cartridges for as long as I can remember. A friend told me about Safety Razors and DE blades and I said what the heck.

I had already changed to a badger brush and shaving soap a few years ago.

I bought a Merkur 34C and used the Merkur blade and I LOVE it.

I have a variety pack of blades and will give then each a try.

I can't believe I waited this long.

Man, I wish I was 40 again.

My first back in December of 2009...

This may belong more properly in a DE forum, but it leads here. Plus, I'm sure this is a common story.

I went to buy some Mach 3 replacements a couple of weeks ago and just got furious with a $15 price tag for five blades. My first instinct was to buy a straight razor. I figured the one-time cost would eventually be worth it once I learned to shave with a straight razor and to keep it usable.

I chickened out and today ordered a Merkur HD 34C razor, some Taylor of Old Bond shaving creme, an Edwin Jagger best badger brush, and a 100 pack of Derby Extra blades. About a $100 investment. I'm looking forward to it, but I am still pining after a straight razor. I feel like I would really enjoy the ritual, but I am afraid of looking like Swiss cheese. Anyone else take the route from DE to straight, or did you just jump right into the straight?

Top Bottom